Fallout: Lonestar releases first development diary

Sander

This ghoul has seen it all
Staff member
Admin
Orderite
Fallout: Lonestar, a Texas-set total conversion mod for Fallout: New Vegas, has been booking steady progress, and a couple of days ago they released their first development diary, talking about Chris Avellone's support, their setting and what they're planning to do. Give it a look!

h/t Kotaku

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the concept art and very vague and non-telling blabla of the guy, there has not been a single hint as to what this mod will actually be, no hints at gameplay whatsoever as well.
I like how the mohawk guy talks for 7 minutes without actually telling everything important.

Gameplay is obviously probably very similar to Fo3 / New Vegas.

Besides this, yes. They are showing nothing and most of what has been said can be skipped. Only at the end you see some very rough screenshots for a second or two.

I like the fact that one of the comments you see almost immdiately when scrolling down on that YouTube video reveals that 1.) this mod is not going anywhere 2.) it's cancerous anyhow. Although you could guess the second point when he said that only Vault-Tec vault dwellers survived.

Aside from the concept art and very vague and non-telling blabla of the guy, there has not been a single hint as to what this mod will actually be, no hints at gameplay whatsoever as well.
I like how the mohawk guy talks for 7 minutes without actually telling everything important.

Almost makes you wonder if they aren't actually a small team trying to drum up support (team members, if it wasn't clear) for a total conversion mod of a title whose gameplay is already well known by the community. But it can't be, right?

These conversions never really get finished, it's kind of hard to get excited for them at this point.

Here is a quote, in the Youtube comments, from a dude who said he was once on this project. A later quote from the supposed ex-lead designer commented afterwards confirming the story. Split for clarity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"FYI, the project's all smoke and mirrors.

Me and a friend were part of the team early on after it became a thing (I was a mapper, he was the lead designer.) but then there was tension between him and the project lead because he was questioning some of their creative choices; the plot's basically just The Magnificent Seven with an ersatz NCR-Legion conflict and the team was just obsessed with making every character a woman if possible for the sake of being 'progressive'.

One day he decided to vent some frustrations about the issues with the project to the editor in confidence, who proceeded to snitch the entire conversation to the project lead. Despite it being actual critique, my friend for the boot for asking questions. Of course, since he was the lead designer, this kinda fucked over the rate of progress they were making with fleshing out the project (Meanwhile the editor got promoted to manager as a reward for telling.)

You know what's funny? The single map I made is probably the only ingame thing related to this project that's been made since 2013 when it started. It's all just concept art and scenarios - nice looking concepts, yeah - but there hasn't been a single game asset made yet. The project lead got a tad pissy when my friend called him out on that and said he was gonna go to the GECK right away to make something... which he never did. I don't even know if it's supposed to be a NV mod or a standalone game and I don't even know what engine it'd be on.

That's not even mentioning their honestly disrespectful attitude with people with actual technical skills. They just expect people who can map, code, script etc to just work and do everything they say with zero input - I couldn't even get into an involved discussion about they wanted when I joined to map for them, they just dumped a google doc of concepts of me to go copy off. One of the guys in the team who was getting treated like this tried contacting my friend after he got kicked to get his side of the story. The team heard about this and kicked that guy too.

They're basically riding off the fact they've got Avellone's 'blessing' and they're trying so, so hard to look like legitimate game developers. I'm not sure what to think at this point but I'm really not gonna be impressed with anything they do until we see an actual game come out of it, even if it's just a bunch of shitty model renders or a super WIP map."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:whatever:

Typical drama.

Interesting if true though. I wouldn't hold my breath for this to get completed, although the concept art is impressive...If it makes any progress most likely it will switch over to Fallout 4 once it is finished.

I've seen a better Fallout concept set in Texas that Dutch Ghost has talked about for some time now.

Really doesn't matter. Either they show something of value or they don't... in which case nothing is lost anyway. Just don't try to get hyped up with it, as being hyped about mods usually ends bad. :p

On the other side it is a good sign if a mod team is trying to finish all the design / concept work first, instead of just starting right away and making the game up as they go. Makes for more consistency and everyone knows what is to be done. Less talking == more work getting done.

Additionally, you simply can't take the input of everyone on every issue and discuss it in length. It drastically slows progress and can drain motivation to work at all. Of course you also can't expect people to do all your busy work without any kind of payment.... O, the struggles of modding. :p

Last edited:
Haven't seen enough of it so I can't really say much. It looks like it is in heavy dev state.
Watching the concept art and all the persons who are involved gives me the sensation that this is gonna be a big big mod but from my experience, this may end in nothing.
The thing that concerns me the most is if it is going to be well canon-based. Some mods just ruin all that 50's and 60's retrofuturistic style that Fallout has. To make a big mod you don't just make a plot, you need to know the actual Fallout Story.

Me and a friend were part of the team early on after it became a thing (I was a mapper, he was the lead designer.) but then there was tension between him and the project lead because he was questioning some of their creative choices; the plot's basically just The Magnificent Seven with an ersatz NCR-Legion conflict and the team was just obsessed with making every character a woman if possible for the sake of being 'progressive'.

One day he decided to vent some frustrations about the issues with the project to the editor in confidence, who proceeded to snitch the entire conversation to the project lead. Despite it being actual critique, my friend for the boot for asking questions. Of course, since he was the lead designer, this kinda fucked over the rate of progress they were making with fleshing out the project (Meanwhile the editor got promoted to manager as a reward for telling.)

You know what's funny? The single map I made is probably the only ingame thing related to this project that's been made since 2013 when it started. It's all just concept art and scenarios - nice looking concepts, yeah - but there hasn't been a single game asset made yet. The project lead got a tad pissy when my friend called him out on that and said he was gonna go to the GECK right away to make something... which he never did. I don't even know if it's supposed to be a NV mod or a standalone game and I don't even know what engine it'd be on.

That's not even mentioning their honestly disrespectful attitude with people with actual technical skills. They just expect people who can map, code, script etc to just work and do everything they say with zero input - I couldn't even get into an involved discussion about they wanted when I joined to map for them, they just dumped a google doc of concepts of me to go copy off. One of the guys in the team who was getting treated like this tried contacting my friend after he got kicked to get his side of the story. The team heard about this and kicked that guy too.

They're basically riding off the fact they've got Avellone's 'blessing' and they're trying so, so hard to look like legitimate game developers. I'm not sure what to think at this point but I'm really not gonna be impressed with anything they do until we see an actual game come out of it, even if it's just a bunch of shitty model renders or a super WIP map."

I hope it is just drama, (can't confirm it). But if it is true, man, I can't belive it is hitting Fallout.

I would have never expected that guy to be a raving social justice warrior either.
Well, look at the poor guy. Unfortunate body and face, with gyno on top of it. The green mohawk doesn't help either, though I can imagine why the guy would think it does. These are the type of people who become extreme SJWs.

More on-topic, even though this project is confirmed dead, the soundtrack seems pretty neat, especially the orchestral version. Link

I was looking at it with at least mild interest. Project Brazil as it is now was a bit disappointing in my opinion, but if what TorontRayne reposted is true, then I won't hold my breath.

Most of these Conversions don't really go anywhere anyway.

I would have never expected that guy to be a raving social justice warrior either.
Well, look at the poor guy. Unfortunate body and face, with gyno on top of it. The green mohawk doesn't help either, though I can imagine why the guy would think it does. These are the type of people who become extreme SJWs.

As opposed to the 400-pound, immobile, neckbeard-having, Trilby-wearing sacks of shit who constitute gamers and Fallout fans? Where are you going with this? Show up to a volunteer effort or do some activism. There are normal people in every camp.

As opposed to the 400-pound, immobile, neckbeard-having, Trilby-wearing sacks of shit who constitute gamers and Fallout fans? Where are you going with this? Show up to a volunteer effort or do some activism. There are normal people in every camp.
Why would I want to do activism?
I don't dispute that there are normal SJWs, but the extreme rambling ones like this person supposedly is are most likely that for a reason, and that reason is most likely not great mental health. This can be said for every irrational fanatic of any movement.

A later quote from the supposed ex-lead designer commented afterwards confirming the story.

I'm the ex-lead designer, the post is talking about.

I don't dispute that there are normal SJWs, but the extreme rambling ones like this person supposedly is are most likely that for a reason, and that reason is most likely not great mental health. This can be said for every irrational fanatic of any movement.

He doesn't. He took pills. He was somewhat of a failure in the industry, and this is kinda his last shot at glory.

Last edited:
Back