Fallout: New Vegas Canard PC first impressions

sea said:
It's also worth pointing out that while a lot of journalists might have played the old Fallout games... they don't necessarily worship them in the same way a lot of the Fallout fanbase does. They don't remember every detail, the themes and undertones didn't necessarily resonate with them, etc. Just having played Fallout doesn't mean that a person has some sort of bond with the more devoted fans. To a lot of people, Fallout was just another decent CRPG from the late 90s. They didn't take away nearly as much from it and so they aren't going to be as exacting or discerning as some others might be. I don't think this should reflect negatively on them. It just means that they have a different opinion of the series and a broader idea of what Fallout can be.

I think what you're saying is certainly possible and worth keeping in mind but, by and large, a very large contingent of game reviewers old enough and experienced enough to have played the original Fallouts do love the came. That's kind of why they're considered critically lauded.

sea said:
It's also worth pointing out that while a lot of journalists might have played the old Fallout games... they don't necessarily worship them in the same way a lot of the Fallout fanbase does. They don't remember every detail, the themes and undertones didn't necessarily resonate with them, etc. Just having played Fallout doesn't mean that a person has some sort of bond with the more devoted fans. To a lot of people, Fallout was just another decent CRPG from the late 90s. They didn't take away nearly as much from it and so they aren't going to be as exacting or discerning as some others might be. I don't think this should reflect negatively on them. It just means that they have a different opinion of the series and a broader idea of what Fallout can be.

No No no, its not like that, were all brainwashed by f1 and f2. With hidden messages saying ''ļove fallout love the master hate betty'' The original discs were sprayed with some fev and when heated up in the disc drive it evaporated. This together with the hidden messages brainwashed us. We are waiting Master!

Can anyone who already has the game confirm that there are no shitty subway crawls?

TheUnwashed said:
No No no, its not like that, were all brainwashed by f1 and f2. With hidden messages saying ''ļove fallout love the master hate betty'' The original discs were sprayed with some fev and when heated up in the disc drive it evaporated. This together with the hidden messages brainwashed us. We are waiting Master!

So people who played one of the trilogy boxes or a digital copy are safe? Cool. :lol:

Expresate said:
Huh. Fallout 3 was showered with 100s and the feelings on this board made it look like it was covered in -5s. New Vegas has 80s-low 90s (with about two lower (one is 65 the other is 70) and a lot of people here couldn't be happier with how the game turned out. Says something about the gaming community today.

Yes it does: we've all been burned by professional "reviewers" and form our own opinions.

Well, not all of us. Many of us still need professionals to tell us what to like. Apparently.

ALSO, got the game via steam yesterday. Strange FPS slowdowns triggered by conversations, that go away when I look at the pipboy for a moment. Just had time to play the tutorial bits, and so far the feel is very right. But hey, the "feel" of F3 was mostly right--it only really started to fail as I explored further, so time will tell.

Good writing, strange performance issues--it's an Obsidian game all right! :) Now all I have to do is wait 15 years for the fan patches to make it run right, and I'll be happy.

Alphadrop said:
Hmm that is some fine old school writing. Though my inner grammar nazi wants to scream at whoever translated it but I digress. :P

Really hyped for Friday now, just hope it turns up on time and Steam doesen't crash.

Then, be my guest!

Seriously, I know my english is far from perfect, but keep in mind than translating to a foreign language is way, way more difficult than the other way around. Especially when it's not your job, when you're supposed to do your job instead of translating a game review (:whistle:) and when you're trying to do it quickly and without ruining the very special tone that Omar Boulon and the whole CanardPC team frequently uses.

If you really think my grammar was shitty, and want to have some crap-your-pants nightmares tonight, imagine that I have a very good english level compared to the average people in France.

At least, I hope that my text was understandable and reproduced faithfully what Omar Boulon meant. That's what I was aiming for.

Thank you for your opinion anyway, it's always nice to have feedback.

sea said:

I couldn't agree with this more.

Expresate said:
Huh. Fallout 3 was showered with 100s and the feelings on this board made it look like it was covered in -5s. New Vegas has 80s-low 90s (with about two lower (one is 65 the other is 70) and a lot of people here couldn't be happier with how the game turned out. Says something about the gaming community today.

It says that a majority of people have a differing opinion than a small sub-set of Fallout fans. To a lot of Fallout 1/2 fans, returning to the developer/lore roots is really exciting. To most other people it's "just another game" or a tip of the hat to an era/history that many do not care that strongly about or aren't even aware of. They will be comparing the enjoyment they had with Fallout 3 to the enjoyment they're having with New Vegas and what their expectations were.

I don't disagree with a lot of the reviews that are coming out, I would say that I'm a bit disappointed so far but I am only 8 hours in. A lot of my disappointment is probably due to the extremely high expectations I had. Still a good game, but I wouldn't give it an overall higher score than Fallout 3 at this point. I am enjoying the depth and Obsidian-specific flavour that has been added.

korindabar said:
I don't disagree with a lot of the reviews that are coming out, I would say that I'm a bit disappointed so far but I am only 8 hours in. A lot of my disappointment is probably due to the extremely high expectations I had. Still a good game, but I wouldn't give it an overall higher score than Fallout 3 at this point. I am enjoying the depth and Obsidian-specific flavour that has been added.

Looking at the reviews, I find the text belies the numbers. Ignoring the reviewers who chose to focus exclusively on the bugs, a heavy majority are citing improvements to almost every area of the game. Voice acting, story, items, size, quest quality, maturity, etc. Then, out comes the 85~ rating - a drop from the 'perfection that was FO3' they were using to compare the aforementioned improvements. Contradiction.

I'm curious where Obsidian failed to meet your expectations? Myself, I am quite happy so far (but I have not played as long as you - approx 3 hours). I'm curious if the difference was that I tried like hell to avoid spoilers & over-saturating myself with 'all things New Vegas' that I was pleasantly surprised vs. an over-hyped imagination of what I hoped it would be?

I've had that happen in other games/movies/parties/etc. and it is a major cause of disappointment.

Innawerkz said:
...a heavy majority are citing improvements to almost every area of the game. Voice acting, story, items, size, quest quality, maturity, etc. Then, out comes the 85~ rating - a drop from the 'perfection that was FO3' they were using to compare the aforementioned improvements.

Oh and I agree... in many areas, they have improved on Fallout 3.

Innawerkz said:
I'm curious where Obsidian failed to meet your expectations? Myself, I am quite happy so far (but I have not played as long as you - approx 3 hours). I'm curious if the difference was that I tried like hell to avoid spoilers & over-saturating myself with 'all things New Vegas' that I was pleasantly surprised vs. an over-hyped imagination of what I hoped it would be?

I've had that happen in other games/movies/parties/etc. and it is a major cause of disappointment.

In a lot of ways but maybe my expectations weren't realistic. I'm still marinating in the game experience and haven't really formed a final opinion/review yet.

I will say that a huge thing for me in a lot of games is atmosphere and fluidity. That includes everything from ambient noise, the soundtrack, the interface, the colour, etc. It's usually the difference between playing 6 hours straight or only playing 1-2 hours at a time. I find even the best story/dialogue sometimes difficult to be drawn into if the medium by which it was delivered was unappealing.

That's just my opinion of course and I may have completely changed my mind another 8 hours in. I haven't gotten to the meat of the game yet.

korindabar said:
I find even the best story/dialogue sometimes difficult to be drawn into if the medium by which it was delivered was unappealing.

That sums up my experience with Red Dead Redemption perfectly. Good game overall with an interesting storyline & very good voice acting - but I can only play for 90 minutes max before I get 'bored' of the repitition.

korindabar said:
That's just my opinion of course and I may have completely changed my mind another 8 hours in. I haven't gotten to the meat of the game yet.

And I might find myself flip-flopping the further I go, too. Maybe my expectations are getting too high based on all of the shiny newness I'm seeing, only to be let down once I leave Goodsprings for awhile. :shrug:

Innawerkz said:
That sums up my experience with Red Dead Redemption perfectly. Good game overall with an interesting storyline & very good voice acting - but I can only play for 90 minutes max before I get 'bored' of the repitition.

I spent more time drinking and playing poker at the saloon than actually playing the game. It was a very satisfying experience.

i am COMPLETELY fine if FO3 fans hate this game. it actually sort of justifies the opinion which says FO3 missed the point of Fallout (which it did, sorry korinda) which the original developers intended.

Seriously, I know my english is far from perfect, but keep in mind than translating to a foreign language is way, way more difficult than the other way around. Especially when it's not your job, when you're supposed to do your job instead of translating a game review () and when you're trying to do it quickly and without ruining the very special tone that Omar Boulon and the whole CanardPC team frequently uses.

If you really think my grammar was shitty, and want to have some crap-your-pants nightmares tonight, imagine that I have a very good english level compared to the average people in France.

At least, I hope that my text was understandable and reproduced faithfully what Omar Boulon meant. That's what I was aiming for.

Thank you for your opinion anyway, it's always nice to have feedback.

About that, congrats for the translation. Boulon has a very personal style of writing, very passionate, not the kind of french easy to translate. I thought you handled it pretty well.
That said, i kinda am jalous of all of the people that get to play the game while i try to avoid as much spoiler as possible...
:D

TwinkieGorilla said:
i am COMPLETELY fine if FO3 fans hate this game. it actually sort of justifies the opinion which says FO3 missed the point of Fallout (which it did, sorry korinda) which the original developers intended.

No worries. As a FO3 fan, I don't hate New Vegas. I think some Fallout 3 fans will be disappointed or maybe under-enthused. Most will probably like or love it. I haven't played the game enough and had the chance to condense my thoughts into a consumable format as of yet. I will say any disappointment I have isn't with the lore, the writing or the decisions and whatnot.

Grayswandir said:
About that, congrats for the translation. Boulon has a very personal style of writing, very passionate, not the kind of french easy to translate. I thought you handled it pretty well.
That said, i kinda am jalous of all of the people that get to play the game while i try to avoid as much spoiler as possible...
:D

Well, thank you.

Alphadrop said:
That's a very long post in response to a joke. I think I need to use more :P emotes. This is a forum with Crni Vuk in it, I don't really care about grammar. :V

Don't worry, I wasn't mad, I knew it was a joke, but I felt I needed to explain why it could not be as good as it would have been from a native english speaker. I was curious to see what you (the forum, not you personally) would think about it.

Sometimes it's good to be reminded that there is still room for improvement. :)

Innawerkz said:
Looking at the reviews, I find the text belies the numbers. Ignoring the reviewers who chose to focus exclusively on the bugs, a heavy majority are citing improvements to almost every area of the game. Voice acting, story, items, size, quest quality, maturity, etc. Then, out comes the 85~ rating - a drop from the 'perfection that was FO3' they were using to compare the aforementioned improvements. Contradiction.

No, it's not a contradiction. Fallout 3 was given such high marks partially due to the era (the Bethesda Gamebroyo tropes weren't quite as dated in 2008 as they are now) and the fact it was the first Fallout in close to a decade, never mind the improvements made to the Oblivion formula through the addition of a larger ranged combat emphasis, better quest structure and VATs. The game blew by the standards of Black Isles or Troika but it was the newness and era which netted those reviews. Recreate the formula without significant superficial change two years later and one would expect diminished scores.

I am curious as to why Fallout 3 people would dislike this game, however. At the worst it seems to be more of the same and worlds better than most of the DLC released for 3.

Back