Fallout: New Vegas QuakeCon previews, #4

SharkClub

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Here is Machinima.com's preview of Fallout: New Vegas:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klixN7DOLhc[/youtube]

It spends a long time talking about how long Fallout 3 is, before noting how much New Vegas improves on so many obvious flaws of Fallout 3. VATS being a necessity, no iron-sights, Rybicki-maneuver statements like the game's faces "proving for the first time that this engine can render human faces that don't look like a hideous mass of texture painting". I thought Fallout 3 had already proven that for the first time. The gameplay footage is the same as seen in the video interviews, so let's assume it's been provided by Bethesda to be used for promotion of the video game. Did I say promotion? I meant journalistic coverage.

EDIT: let's just toss some more Con previews in here. NowGamer previews and tosses up four new screenshots.<blockquote>It’s very Fallout 3, as you might expect from a sequel that uses virtually the same engine and underlying technology as Bethesda’s masterful series revival, but the similarities between the radioactive Mojave and the Capital Wasteland are comparable with those of a highway ghost town and any West Coast desert. The view to the yellowish hills on the horizon is brighter, more sparsely populated and desiccated, with a sprouting desert flower or two begging to be picked and stored for use in some concoction or other that you’ll undoubtedly whip up later on.</blockquote>Softpedia.<blockquote>I am also happy to report that, in the demo at least, you could not steal everything that was not nailed down and even messing with an old jukebox resulted in an increase in infamy and a fight.
</blockquote>VideoGamer (mention of Mark Morgan in this article has been corrected, Mark is not doing New Vegas' soundtrack).<blockquote>Compared to the other big-hitters on Bethesda's list of upcoming releases, New Vegas doesn't offer much in the way of eye candy. Fallout 3's sprawling vistas were pretty impressive two years ago, but now the engine is looking pretty long in the tooth. That said, the retro/ruined future mash-up vibe is appealing as ever. There's a darker, meaner tone to the intro to New Vegas; Ron Pearlman provides the gravelly narration as the scene is set, detailing the growing conflict between the New California Republic and Cesar's Legions - a bandit army that has enslaved 86 American Tribes. Western and gunslinger imagery permeates the game's look and feel, but the interface and general appearance is largely unchanged from Fallout 3.</blockquote>Thanks Incognito.

Do you know that this guy wasn't critical of Fallout 3 before?

Per said:

Considering the opening?

I dunno if Machinima.com even does reviews. I never got its raison d'être.

Besides the faces sentence is just too precious, considering it's exactly what we heard before Fallout 3. It won't surprise anyone when they still look like dog doodie.

Per said:
Well, that's the thing. I remember Machinima praising Fallout 3 as a great game beforehand (through little news-parts and small shows they have on there, BN is right in saying they don't do actual reviews), not sure if it's the same guy.

Considering the amount of media-love Fallout 3 got I would bet that he (and the rest of machinima) would have followed along with everyone else.

The fun bit from videogamer.com:

The biggest nostalgia kick stems from the return of Mark Morgan, composer on Fallout 1 and 2. When one of his eerie tribal tunes kicks in during a close battle, accompanied by the familiar whirring and bleep of the combat interface, it almost feels like the old days.

Incognito said:
The fun bit from videogamer.com:
The biggest nostalgia kick stems from the return of Mark Morgan, composer on Fallout 1 and 2. When one of his eerie tribal tunes kicks in during a close battle, accompanied by the familiar whirring and bleep of the combat interface, it almost feels like the old days.
Yay. :D

Three possibilities come into my mind:

1. The author is a nub and made some shit up, without knowing it.

2. They remade some of Mark Morgan's work for / into New Vegas.

3. Mark Morgan is doing the soundtrack, even though back then it has been said, he isn't doing it.

The music I heard on one video preview was definitely more in the style of Fallout 1 and 2, but I think it might just be Inon Zur responding to fan criticism of his work on Fallout 3.

Inon Zur is capable of creating Mark Morgan like atmospheric music. It all depends on what the client wants. Bethesda likes "epic" orchestrations so that is what Inon Zur gave them for Fallout 3. Obsidian thinks that more atmospheric Morgan type music better fits their game, so that is what the composer gives them.

IMissLark said:
The geckos sort of look like koalas. :crazy:
I thought that too! Had to rewind to check it :D

It's the gaping black mouth, looked like a big koala nose :)

Hello,

I'm the cheap hack from VideoGamer who wrote that article. Just thought I'd show up here to make a few apologetic noises.

Lexx said:
Three possibilities come into my mind:

1. The author is a nub and made some shit up, without knowing it.

2. They remade some of Mark Morgan's work for / into New Vegas.

3. Mark Morgan is doing the soundtrack, even though back then it has been said, he isn't doing it.

Under the circumstances, I'd be forced to say that 1 is closest to the truth. I certainly didn't make anything up; for some reason I was sure that Morgan was coming back for New Vegas, and when I heard the new music my immediate reaction was that it sounded just like F1.

And yes, I should have checked my facts. Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up; consider my tail to be between my legs...

Well, the fact that the soundtrack sounds like Fallout 1 is good news anyway, though Mark Morgan's return would have been awesome (but then again, we already knew about him not returning).

Back