Fallout: New Vegas released in North America

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Oct 19, 2010.

1. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    also: wtf is "pre-loading"? is this something i'd have had to do through steam even if it was 3 hours from now? wtf is this new fangled stupid shit?

*weeps for the days of Fallout 2*

2. Sytxferryman

Sytxferryman Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 14, 2005
    Same shit here. Just got back from Gamestop where I got the PC version and have to wait 2 more hours. It won't even pre-install the damn game.

They had tons of pizza rolls at this Gamestop though. It was disorganized, the other Gamestop's I have been to take your receipts in order and write a number on them as you come in and set your things in little piles so when midnight hits they just call the number, check your receipt and hand it off. They had cookies also instead of pizza rolls :D

To make things worse the wife and I get home and one of the cat's is sick and shit/vomited all over our bed... made worse as it's a fun duvet and all over the bathroom. So while were waiting for Steam to WAKE THE FUCK UP and not all of us live in fucking California I get to wash a cat's butt. Joy...... Night going from bad to worse REALLY fast.

3. TwinkieGorilla

Oct 19, 2007
    more like an unfun duvet amirite?

4. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Pre-loading means that the game will be downloaded now and as soon as it's active, you can start playing. No further downloads needed then.

5. TwinkieGorilla

Oct 19, 2007
    but wtf would i have had to download anyway? i have a goddamn disc? wtf is with this generation? are you all fucking retarded? pirates, Fallout 3, fucking fuck the lot of you.

seriously.

6. Plissken

Plissken It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 5, 2007
    Wait....is Fallout: NV installed through Steam even if you have the CD? Why do you guys have to wait 2 hours?

7. TwinkieGorilla

Oct 19, 2007
    yeah, i don't get it dude. this shit didn't happen back in the day. over my goddamn head.

8. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    It can be a day-one patch or not all files are on the disc and the rest is taken from Steam. I bet it's both of it.

9. Plissken

Jun 5, 2007
    That's extremely odd. What's the point of buying a physical CD if you have to activate through Steam? I wonder what the publishing/devs were thinking.

10. Sam Ecorners

Sam Ecorners Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

Jan 23, 2007
    My CE order still shows up as OPEN and not shipped:(

11. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Steam = DRM. That's all it is in this case.

12. TwinkieGorilla

Oct 19, 2007
    i don't get why i'm downloading shit that should be on the disc though. wtf is this?

13. Sytxferryman

Sytxferryman Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 14, 2005
    They have most the bugs worked out of the game (except the X-box obviously with the memory leak crap) so they have to torment us with this Steam shit. I hated that Windows Live shit but at the least I could play it at fucking midnight.

I pre-ordered the console versions also BUT through different place so I get different pre-release goodies. Those places aren't doing midnight releases. I enjoy the PC more so I figured I would do that one at midnight so I selected Gamestop for that. Big mistake.

You would think they would tell us this shit before the release? Would have effected my purchase greatly. I would have got PS3 from here and PC and 360 from other places. (wife can't handle the keyboard (her own words). She is a newer gen gamer)

14. frosty_theaussie

frosty_theaussie Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 22, 2003
    No. If you're downloading the entire game through Steam you've clearly gone about the install procedure ass-backwardsly wrong. Only thing that it would be downloading are a handful of files that aren't included on-disk to prevent the raw ISO from being useful for pirated releases, or a 0-day patch that Obsidian have cooked up.

15. TwinkieGorilla

Oct 19, 2007
  16. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    That's not really what he asked. The game is, indeed, installed "through Steam" and PC gamers do have to wait one more hour until it unlocks.

17. frosty_theaussie

frosty_theaussie Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 22, 2003
    Sorry - quoted wrong user, intended for Twinkie above.

18. TwinkieGorilla

Oct 19, 2007
    all i know is that after installing Steam, not being able to install the game, i saw the "Pre Load" button on Steam that reads "To pre load Fallout New Vegas so you'll be ready to play the moment it's released, etc, etc" click this button.

so i did.

19. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    At this point you can only wait until it unlocks Twinkie.

20. Plissken

Jun 5, 2007
    Brother None, you getting this immediately? IIRC when Fallout 3 came out you waited some time or were waiting to receive a copy.

But yeah, that Steam thing is pretty screwed up. I would expect people who purchased the CD to be able to play right away.