Fallout: Sixth most influential game of our time

Tannhauser

Venerable Relic of the Wastes
Orderite
ActionTrip has boldly put together a list of the "Ten Most Influential RPGs of Our Time." Making no distinctions between console RPGs, PC RPGs, or MMORPGs, the list is broad in scope. While World of Warcraft takes first place, Fallout ranks in sixth:<blockquote>As another co-project of Black Isle Studios and Interplay, Fallout marks a rather bold step in the world of RPGs. To this day, it is honored throughout the gaming community as a truly unique role-playing experience. With an engaging sci-fi backdrop and straightforward character creation system, it didn't take too long for Fallout to claim its rightful place in the industry. One of its main traits was using the so-called SPECIAL character creation system - as most of you probably know, the "SPECIAL" stands for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility and Luck, all of which represent attributes that are essential to the whole experience. Fallout 2 was released one year after the original, receiving rave reviews - even though the game's mechanics remained the same.</blockquote>Inexplicably, Fable has tenth place while Knights of the Old Republic holds fourth.

Link: Ten Most Influential RPGs of Our Time.

Spotted on Game Banshee.

Entire list loses all credibility by having Fable and World of Warcraft on the list.
The only thing Fable influenced was a new level in broken promises, and WoW? Since when is WoW an RPG? MMORPG =! RPG. And that's final!

I have to wonder if WoW can be considered tremendously influential, or if the title belongs to the ones that really started the chase into the MMO busines, EQ and UO.

And while you might not classify them as RPGs, the fact tat RPG is part of MMORPG makes it mandatory to look at them.

SimpleMinded said:
I have to wonder if WoW can be considered tremendously influential, or if the title belongs to the ones that really started the chase into the MMO busines, EQ and UO.

And while you might not classify them as RPGs, the fact tat RPG is part of MMORPG makes it mandatory to look at them.

It's just a name. They are essentially a whole different genre than RPGs by nature.

And WoW is influential in as much as it keeps saps glued to it more than any MMO before or since with the least amount of effort on the part of it's developers, since it's crap. I played it for over a year and knew it was crap. All my friends and guildmates went on and on about it being crap. Yet there we all were, day after day.
In other words, WoW achieved the status of videogame equivalent to tobacco. Crap, bad for you but damn you just keep coming back for more.

Certainly not something I'd put on a list of influencial RPGs.

Boys And Their Toys

Boys And Their Toys

Sometimes a cigar is a cigar, and a spread sheet just a spread sheet.
And a Babe Of The Week on page one, a hook, heroin for the eyes.
Very commercial site. And had to read, it is a PC site? Bleeds cross platform. A Gender Blender.

Actiontrip's front page variant on Sex, Drugs, and Rock And Roll.

Sex, Cheats, and Comic Polls.

Front page Babe Of The Week ... NMA's are chastely sequestered in the General Forum.
botd_06132007s.jpg

http://www.actiontrip.com/babes/botd_06132007.jpg

Cheats ..... the FEEL GOOD Chocolate Milk for the competition challenged Nex Gen.

The tartness of the Poll's one liners, reckon it's all about attitude attracting more mouse clicks .... mouse clicks, and a cookie inserted in my browser means ...

... money for somebody.

And it's the NAKED acknowledgment of unit sales and millions of dollars earned as important and influential in game design that let's the world know where this site's values truly are focused.
Money makes it's world go round.
In discussions about game design, it is the money card that is played to trump and pwn.
Why bother these accountants with the genre appropriateness of RT or TB? This is the breeding ground for entertainment industry suits,
What does the band wagon elitism and the Bling Bling have to do with the quality of the game play?
Money in yuppie Brand snobbery.
The product, the game is lost in this 'holistic' packaging.

Trophy games.

As cold as the Barbie, not bought for a kiddie, but forever shrink wrapped for "the collector's' investment.

Money talk's and BS walks ... so ...

Tannhauser invoice these Entertainment MBA's at Action-trip for the NMA traffic turned their way.
If they won't pay for the play, write it off as a loss ... or ...
Charge them for NMA bandwidth and they might horse trade with a "Babe Of The Week".
Do it for lill' ol' lonely alec ... if the shoes fit...

Win Win with teh Bling Bling.

4too

Influental Games List:

Fable [DISAPPROVE]
Final Fantasy [DISAPPROVE]
Baldur's Gate [DISAPPROVE]
Planescape: Torment [APPROVE]
Fallout [APPROVE]
Ultima Series [APPROVE]
KOTOR [DISAPPROVE]
Diablo [APPROVE]
Morrowind [APPROVE]
World of Warcraft [DISAPPROVE]

Vault 69er said:
WoW achieved the status of videogame equivalent to tobacco. Crap, bad for you but damn you just keep coming back for more.

Dude, this is one seriously well placed sentence. Can I put it on my sign? :P

DarkLegacy said:
Influental Games List:

Final Fantasy [DISAPPROVE]

Diablo [APPROVE]

Thought I love Diablo series, I have to say the only RPG characteristic it has - I'm taking Fallout standards - is the character sheet in which we alocate points and skills, while the only one Final Fantasy has - again taking FO's standards - is it's ATB system, which I see as a fast paced form of turn based. But tell people in the Orient - mainly Japan - that FF is not RPG.... I assure you'll be flamed by the samurais ^^

Anyway, you didn't say FF isn't RPG, so ignore it. My point in your post is: Diablo is a money printing license - and thus influential - in the whole world I suppose, in the west for sure. But while FF may not be that influential here in west, be asured that in the east it's as biblical as Fallout for us in NMA. And thus influential - for the industry at least.

My two Nuka-Cola caps? Drop WoW and Diablo. WoW's an MMORPG, not a RPG, and Diablo is realtime Rogue with graphics, music, and sound.

Of the remaining 8:

1) Morrowind, with expansions. Sheer openendedness rawks.
2) Fallout, for setting the path towards all the RPG-goodliness, and being a damn fine game.
3) Baldur's Gate: This isn't necessarily the best RPG out there but it did show what BIS can do.
4) Planescape: Torment: While it is definitely a niche game as it hasn't had the same amount of mainstream attention others have, it is the pinnacle of non-scifi BIS.
5) KOTOR: For making the first Star Wars RPG good. Almost makes me wonder what it'd been like with the cut content.
6) FF series: More a console style RPG but a few did set the bar for other console RPGs, especially FFVII.
7) Ultima series: Meh. They opened the door to CRPGs in general but beyond that there were hardly any "Hey wow look at that" moments.
8) Fable: As I've never played it, I don't have an opinion either way.

Again, just my 2 cents... err Nuka-Cola caps.

SimpleMinded said:
I have to wonder if WoW can be considered tremendously influential,

Of course it is, just count how many people became slaves of it :)
That pretty much means influence.

What do they understand byt thw word 'influential'?

That there are many productions that were influented by these games?

Then I'd like to know what was the influence of Torment (one of my favourites), and World of Warcraft (it's not precursor of its style...)

If by influential you mean imitated, then yes, Diablo and WoW are influential. They're not RPGs, other than in name, though.

WoW has 8 million subscribers. I have no idea what you call influential.

And news title is way too much misleading.

well wow has been influential on the gaming industry, and same with diablo, but you can hardly say they are the first of there kind. so it all boils down to the definition of influence.

is influence that to make something new that other companys copy? or is it to make a best selling game...

or maybe something in the middle witch i think is what they have measured.

Vault 69er said:
SimpleMinded said:

It's just a name. They are essentially a whole different genre than RPGs by nature.

And WoW is influential in as much as it keeps saps glued to it more than any MMO before or since with the least amount of effort on the part of it's developers, since it's crap. I played it for over a year and knew it was crap. All my friends and guildmates went on and on about it being crap. Yet there we all were, day after day.
In other words, WoW achieved the status of videogame equivalent to tobacco. Crap, bad for you but damn you just keep coming back for more.

Certainly not something I'd put on a list of influencial RPGs.
100% agree

WoW is just addictive,.. it's simple and repetitive but addictive. I played 3 betas of WoW, a closed one and two open ones and in the closed one i got the farthest reaching some level between 20 and 30, i can't remember. I know that's not a high level but at this time i was already addicted and decided not to buy this game because it's actually just a big waste of time and all you need to be good in that game is having large amounts of time.

and how could WoW be influental??????
most of the stuff they put in WoW, has already been in nearly any other mmorpg, all they did was putting it together adding some "cute" graphics and making it as simple as possible. there is nothing innovative about it, nothing outstanding.
Also, i wouldn't have put final fantasy and fable on that list..

It seems to be a list of 'here's what I liked' instead of a list of influential games. He even admits that Fable didn't really do anything new, but was just a fun game.

None of the Goldbox games are on there, while they were undoubtedly influential and often provided more in-depth gameplay than Baldur's Gate. He also claims that Baldur's Gate was one of the first games to use the AD&D2e rules, which is patently false.
But it's hard to deny that Baldur's Gate was influential.

Objectively speaking, Fable, Planescape: Torment, Knights of the Old Republic and World of Warcraft should not be on that list since they haven't influenced anything. Of those games, only Planescape was somewhat original, but its influence has yet to be seen.
Ultima should be up higher, Morrowind way, way down. Diablo is somewhat dubious, since it isn't much of an RPG.

to my experience fallout is the best single player rgp I ever played, it's rare if not impossible nowadays to have so much fun alone in your dark room, especially when it's fun even afrer 9 years. A game like WoW is all about virtual friends. WoW without internet is like fallout without...well... fallout

Wr4i7h said:
If by influential you mean imitated, then yes, Diablo and WoW are influential. They're not RPGs, other than in name, though.

You can't base what an RPG is on Fallout, or Final Fantasy, or any one game... if that's what you're doing. There are, after all, different sub-genres.

All the games on the list have merit as a influential RPG, imho; though i can't speak for fable, never played.

Personally i'd put fallout higher on the list, but then, i would have put daggerfall on there rather than morrowind.

Lists like these are never very good.

Oh, and i dunno if you guys know about WoW leveling or mechanics... but you don't NEED "internet friends" or to even be in a guild or any of that shit. I got to level 61 by myself, doing quests, and once in a blue moon a random stranger would help me. It can very much be played as a single player game.

ronin84 said:
Wr4i7h said:

You can't base what an RPG is on Fallout, or Final Fantasy, or any one game... if that's what you're doing. There are, after all, different sub-genres.

All the games on the list have merit as a influential RPG, imho; though i can't speak for fable, never played.

Personally i'd put fallout higher on the list, but then, i would have put daggerfall on there rather than morrowind.

Lists like these are never very good.

Oh, and i dunno if you guys know about WoW leveling or mechanics... but you don't NEED "internet friends" or to even be in a guild or any of that shit. I got to level 61 by myself, doing quests, and once in a blue moon a random stranger would help me. It can very much be played as a single player game.

Fable actually wasn't that bad, but I wouldn't put it on the "Top 10 Most Influental Games Ever". :roll:

Back