Fallout: Sonora, a new project by the developers of Fallout: Nevada

So the good folks that made Fallout: Nevada announced a new Fallout TC.
poster_FS.jpg

Link to the thread: http://www.nuclear-city.com/index.php/topic/818-fallout-sonora-обсуждение/page-1

Dev's response and announce, translated:
BlackDesigner said:
Due to BlackFlame's frivolity, I have to go online and explain the situation.

Yes, I'm developing Fallout: Sorona for a year so far. But I didn't quite had a time for press-release since a good visual base is required for that, which is left for last development stage (first goes scripting, writing, then graphics). News article is planned with poster and intro video, which are not quite ready yet.

Everything was revisioned. From weapon arsenal to cultural connotations. I had to do extensive research job - watch hundreds of old Hollywood films, study kilometers long worth of articles about America and Mexico, analyze other games of similar genres. The whole scripting-macro mechanics is redone, (the engine part is untouched, of course) all prefabs are redone, balance is drastically changed many more. And this is a completely different project than Nevada, don't even mention it.

Some of it you already know. The map is located to the right and bottom of F1 map, a bit on the edge of crossing (the region is chosen due to the story theme). Biggest city is named Phoenix. Tucson is also present (named Two Sun), with a crazy faction of tinsmiths. Rangers who established a bastion at Parker Dam - one of the central faction of the story. There are 11 big and 5 smaller locations planned (and almost all of them are tied to the main storyline). The project is aimed for roleplaying and storytelling, like all of you love. I won't tell anything regarding the story because it's too easy to spoil.

What about music, I warned Anton that I'm intended to use Fallout OST only. But if this person really wants to grow professionally, then be my guest to research do his best. I only need advisers/consultants/observers, and later - correctors and playtesters.

For now: a couple of screenshots showing off new architecture and loot. As you can see, the interface is also reworked.

P.S.: I'm really sorry for not responding in discussions (here and at VK) but the feedback is too distractive from my own business, besides I don't have that much of a free time. Every hour lost in talking could lead to a new script, dialog or graphics asset for the future game. Due to personal circumstances I already lost 4 months, although I could've been in time for Fallout 20th anniversary. Now the timing is very uncertain.
http://polariton.ad-l.ink/7YkXTyJXZ/thumb.png
http://meson.ad-l.ink/74xMmWVhL/thumb.png

About HRP and sfall integration - "Let the others to do it. My aim is to make a project, fill it with content, writing and gameplay. I don't have time for other things."
And some other screenshots.
P-iPh-B5eCc.jpg

WdJYoQh1t6c.jpg

Time to learn Russian, I guess.

Thanks to @0wing for the newsblurb (yes, most of this post was copy/paste from him, so really, all thanks to him).

Last edited:
http://www.nuclear-city.com/index.php/topic/818-fallout-sonora-обсуждение/page-4
Other interesting quote.
BlackDesigner said:
-"New story and roleplay is certainly good but it's too bad there won't be any sfall scripting extensions - new mechanics for new perks or something different"
-"Sounds like this project is only important for sfall's scripting extenstions. And somebody wrote me that he only waits for Sonora in hope to listen to the new soundtrack. That saddens me.

Working on HRP or sfall right now is like building a house while beginning from the roof.

"something different" as you understand, is not limited to the engine part. Overwhelming part of the interactions in the game is done by scripts (yes, even lighting). But scripts themselves along with macros are rewritten from scratch. The approach to many things is also changed along with it.

For example - new combat EXP calculations. Now it counts towards damage you've done, not by the fact of killing the target. How much damage you have inflicted - that's how much EXP you'll get. This also counts various conditions (armor quality, is this particular character a companion, some perks). There was no need to hack the engine for that.

The real catch is, people expecting to see something like F:Nevada 2.0 but this is WHOLLY different project."
thumb.png

"-Wasteland lessons-
You saw alot during your journey but didn't quite manage to consolidate all the experience. In the end, virtually every skill will get a raise but only by 2% (skills will be raised upon closing the menu)"
thumb.png

"-Intimidation-
You can scare your opponent in combat so he'd refuse from his planned attack. The lower you Charisma is, the better chances to. But with really tough enemy this trick won't work."

Wow. I love this already, Russians sure know how to make mods... but... they could make Van Buren happen, just saying!

Until we magically get an official Fallout sequel that doesn't suck, we'll have to rely on the Russians to hold the torch. Good luck!

but... they could make Van Buren happen, just saying!
Not many folks that actually doing mods are interested in history long forgotten, believe me. Hex tried to approach Russians to further develop Van Buren RPG Adventure(or how it was named) but it didn't work out.

Please gentlemen, have an English version this time, even if requires some sort of crowd funding to achieve it, I'll put in my $10...

Please gentlemen, have an English version this time, even if requires some sort of crowd funding to achieve it, I'll put in my $10...
Can't promise anything. Translation probably will be done by other people again (don't know about Nevada translators and editors) since developer already has lots of tasks to do.

P.S.: I'm really sorry for not responding in discussions (here and at VK) but the feedback is too distractive from my own business, besides I don't have that much of a free time. Every hour lost in talking could lead to a new script, dialog or graphics asset for the future game.

He's a smart guy. Talk less, develop more. That's also why I rarely talk about my shit until it goes into the final stage. Besides, it helps to manage expectations. Talking about a project for 10 years without having much actual game to show is shit, we all know that.

Did he say anything about the setting? Or is it too early to tell? I know Nevada took place before the first Fallout. Is it the same thing considering this is a sequel to that?

D
Did he say anything about the setting? Or is it too early to tell? I know Nevada took place before the first Fallout. Is it the same thing considering this is a sequel to that?
Sonora is the northern westernmost state of Mexico, bordering with Arizona and facing the California Gulf.
data=3XFTGaEc2nGYnhTIR4h7WKkWVDsZqSUUBYy0ED4JjooO3AgUJjehfulhUrZmoTSYj-Iap34ii_aHsra-OWSN0GfLijwvJkXEJ6gkgUJLxh9zoFCVZqFa5K7Jx3y3jvF0ky1thCdmLfWao77loKjucU1KKSDBqh9fQKS0CGXx_54pJcuo5xnBL5OggCpxplEh0fAUQUkS49GBGDPbXn9DZSB6ayY

Most of it is composed by the Sonora Desert. Really damn pretty, been there and my gramps live there. Well, used to anyway. Assuming how 1.5 takes place before 1 but not so far that it's mostly disconnected (IE the FROST kind of setting). I think that considering that it's tethered to Arizona, could it maybe be time for the proto-Legion to shine?

Okay, seriously, why are all these big Fallout mods coming from Russia. Nevada was Russian, and IIRC, 1.5 was also Russian. What's going on?

Okay, seriously, why are all these big Fallout mods coming from Russia. Nevada was Russian, and IIRC, 1.5 was also Russian. What's going on?
Because blame american education system, 1.5 was a czech total conversion. These things are called total conversions. They go alot further than just modding random aspects of Fallout 2, basically new games on the same engine. And answering your questions, weeeeeeell... Because 1.5 started in 2003 and the team wasted 10 years. Nevada? Black Designer just works fast I guess. Nevada survived two content patches and total rehashes until it got to 1.0 version.
What people behind Mutant Rising are doing I don't know.

Last edited:
The games are much more popular in the east. Most of the hardcore crowd comes from that area, and not from 'murica.

Because blame american education system, 1.5 was a czech total conversion. These things are called total conversions.

Firstly, thanks for correcting me on the fact that it's Czech.

Secondly, all total conversions are mods. Not all mods are total conversion. It's kinda like how it's perfectly fine to call a square a parallelogram, but not all parallelograms are capable of being called squares.

Speculations afoot.

F:Sonora is somewhere around 60-70% finished and won't be out up until first half of 2018. Possibly Q3 or Q4, but not earlier. Don't forget extensive patching the first several months after release. And english translation will consume alot of time.

Back