Fallout Sonora - v.1.0 released in Russian

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin

This ambitions mod is finally out, in Russian.

Fallout: Sonora - the story of ordinary peasant who's pushed on difficult path by misfortune. An ordinary person finding themselves on crossroads. Crossroads between two sides of the light. Between the past and the future. The Sonora desert waits for you, villager. What will you do with your freedom?
  1. Non-linear story
  2. Around 100 quests
  3. New worldmap: 12 big locations, 7 smaller ones, 11 special encounters
  4. Authentic depiction of locations
  5. 1,9 Mbytes of text (First Fallout was 1,7 Mbytes)
  6. New BGM from Alexey Trofimov, original F:Nevada composer

Version 1.0 (original) - https://cloud.mail.ru/public/4Te2/xa3pW6hYh
Version 1.0 (original + hires + sfall) - https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5868346
or https://yadi.sk/d/mMFMLVLQZZdZhw
Only russian, of course...

I myself will have to await the English translation which is under way.

Last edited:
I have been informed over at Codex that NMA is not talking about this game/mod enough. I have determined with my advanced algorithm that this is likely due to it not being released in English yet, but I will do my best to give this thread some love by posting a bunch of pics and shit.

Concept Art.
199d499fa7950dd6304c83b20329059e.jpg

dcvsmr6-c53257b4-9e7d-4abc-a6b2-003f2fafca35.png

dcxzz4h-6c321cbc-79be-4da6-a91c-91d9a9cb58cd.png

dec858e73df19e2715311e50709fd2ff-dcz2jn9.gif

ddl8m9k-86552e57-68dd-4dfa-9a50-ac7027e291c3.png

ddlb03i-5784dd43-9800-477c-a51d-80784811696e.gif

Goddamn those talking heads are arousing.

We also have a forum thread here.

I do hope this mod will get some more love once it's fully translated.

I really liked the intro video. :ok:

*Nit-pick... :irked: ... The radio knob; it needs a tiny bit of contrast, or ambient shading to give it some depth.

I really liked the intro video. :ok:

*Nit-pick... :irked: ... The radio knob; it needs a tiny bit of contrast, or ambient shading to give it some depth.
I'm curious Gizmo, for the long while I never really saw you discussing Fallout: Nevada, and even Fallout 1.5: Resurrection.

Have you played them? If so, what do you think of them compared to 1&2?

I am not Gizmojunk but I hope you don't mind me respond on this one.

Fallout of Nevada had much more content than Fallout 1 & 2 such as quests I just did not care for most of it with the exception of a few parts here and there.
For one I found the main quest pretty disappointing.

And Enclave again? Even if it is just implied I found the connection rather pointless. The team should have done an original antagonist

Vault 15 basically exists to provide clone organs for the Enclave's population, not that interesting of a discovery.

It also feels way more "fan moddy" with how some of the original Fallout 1 and 2 assets are used. Like "Oh these pieces are here, lets use them."
I also never really liked how sometimes graphic assets are merged.

Fallout Resurrection felt more like an expansion pack to Fallout 1, being about the size of one as it is not the size of Fallout 1 or 2.
I think there should have been a bit more stuff in this.

It can be a bit unbalanced though and it has a rather downer ending.

The player either helps the Rebirth conquer Albuquerque and use its people for the ghouls' experiments or the player stops the Rebirth and kills himself afterwards before his/her condition kills themself.

I liked stuff such as the Empire and the Rebirth.

In general I don't consider either of them better than Fallout 1 and 2.

And Enclave again? Even if it is just implied I found the connection rather pointless. The team should have done an original antagonist

Vault 15 basically exists to provide clone organs for the Enclave's population, not that interesting of a discovery.
Well, the mod takes place some 20 years before the events of Fallout 1, after all. And considering that Vault 8 opens after getting an all-clear signal from them, the mod tried to tell a (fan)story of what happens during the events of the vault opening for the first time. But yeah, I admit this hook is completely irrelevant up until you take that train to the endgame area.

It also feels way more "fan moddy" with how some of the original Fallout 1 and 2 assets are used. Like "Oh these pieces are here, lets use them."
I also never really liked how sometimes graphic assets are merged.
It has Vault City, Gecko, and New Reno as part of the map after all. But I love Nevada's New Reno more than Fallout 2's. Graphic assets reusage and merging aren't really a problem to me.

Fallout Resurrection felt more like an expansion pack to Fallout 1, being about the size of one as it is not the size of Fallout 1 or 2.
I think there should have been a bit more stuff in this.
Resurrection is actually definitely bigger than 1. The size of Sedit and especially Albuquerque + Imperial City, topped with the amount of content you can experience in one playthrough on each and all of them combined are nearly as big as Fallout 1. And when you combine it with Corath and places like Progema, 1.5 is definitely bigger than 1.
And because its scope is closer than 1, I actually found myself replaying 1.5 more than 1&2 combined.

In general I don't consider either of them better than Fallout 1 and 2.
As I mentioned before, because 1.5 is closer to the scope of 1, I actually think it's better than 1 but not in story and narrative aspect. Though there's still that hint of bittersweetness especially in the ending scene with, "I'll Never Smile Again" playing to the protagonist turning his back to the camera and walking away, there are many parts of the game that just can't measure up from writing aspect and parts that lacks a lot of opportunity to give for player agency.
Meanwhile, Nevada is definitely better than *vanilla* Fallout 2. Only the ending sequence that's a bit screwed. The whole long ride, from the start to New Reno, to the side areas, to Winds of War, to Las Vegas, and even Salt Lake City, the entire ride is just fantastic. And only after taking that train to the endgame area before the finale does the game screwed up. But because of the size of the mod, I can't replay it as much as 1.5, because I have this tendency to get really overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I need to do when starting a new playthrough of a lengthy big games.

And the most important in 1.5 and Nevada that makes them better than 1&2 in my eyes, is their usage of the SPECIAL-Skill system. Especially Nevada, literally no non-combat skills are useless like it was in 1&2. In Nevada, you can tag Doctor-Repair-Science as starter and still gets to do a whole lot cool stuff from the get go.

Well, the mod takes place some 20 years before the events of Fallout 1, after all. And considering that Vault 8 opens after getting an all-clear signal from them, the mod tried to tell a (fan)story of what happens during the events of the vault opening for the first time. But yeah, I admit this hook is completely irrelevant up until you take that train to the endgame area.

And that really segment did not work out for me. That whole abandoned government bunker was cool but the rest...

I know I am a bit weird in this but I found the Master's vault/Mariposa, and the Enclave oil rig more interesting.

It has Vault City, Gecko, and New Reno as part of the map after all. But I love Nevada's New Reno more than Fallout 2's. Graphic assets reusage and merging aren't really a problem to me.

Well there are some interesting things done with the design, I give you that.
I don't know how to explain why I found New Reno less interesting. Mind you I did not like New Reno in Fallout 2 that much either.
It is just "there" for me.

Resurrection is actually definitely bigger than 1. The size of Sedit and especially Albuquerque + Imperial City, topped with the amount of content you can experience in one playthrough on each and all of them combined are nearly as big as Fallout 1. And when you combine it with Corath and places like Progema, 1.5 is definitely bigger than 1.
And because its scope is closer than 1, I actually found myself replaying 1.5 more than 1&2 combined.

Okay I do admit that it has been ages since I played Fallout 1 so I will take your word for the size of the game.
I do like places such as Albuquerque, PROGEMA, and the Rebirth base. I guess I would have enjoyed a couple more "exotic" places to be around.

Sonara has some stuff I think it does better;
In youtube videos I saw at least these places that look cool;

-The super mutant crawler. That giant tank that was proposed in earlier Fallout 2 designs that would be scooping up mutants.
-Greenway Hydroponics. Big botanical research and growing center.
-BOS ship. It seems the BOS this time have a ship converted into a mobile base. That makes much more sense than a zeppelin

As I mentioned before, because 1.5 is closer to the scope of 1, I actually think it's better than 1 but not in story and narrative aspect. Though there's still that hint of bittersweetness especially in the ending scene with, "I'll Never Smile Again" playing to the protagonist turning his back to the camera and walking away, there are many parts of the game that just can't measure up from writing aspect and parts that lacks a lot of opportunity to give for player agency.

One of the problems which was talked about in the Fallout Resurrection topic on RPGCodex maybe that the game has to much information dumps at the end to round up the story.
Perhaps it would have worked better if it had been more gradual.

Meanwhile, Nevada is definitely better than *vanilla* Fallout 2. Only the ending sequence that's a bit screwed. The whole long ride, from the start to New Reno, to the side areas, to Winds of War, to Las Vegas, and even Salt Lake City, the entire ride is just fantastic. And only after taking that train to the endgame area before the finale does the game screwed up. But because of the size of the mod, I can't replay it as much as 1.5, because I have this tendency to get really overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I need to do when starting a new playthrough of a lengthy big games.

I get you on that one. That is why I am not sure if I want to play Fallout New Vegas again.
I would like to go through the Sierra Madre and the Divide again but I don't have saves of those places any more.
And to go through the entire vanilla game again...

And the most important in 1.5 and Nevada that makes them better than 1&2 in my eyes, is their usage of the SPECIAL-Skill system. Especially Nevada, literally no non-combat skills are useless like it was in 1&2. In Nevada, you can tag Doctor-Repair-Science as starter and still gets to do a whole lot cool stuff from the get go.

Okay, that is indeed an improvement over basic Fallout 1 and 2 in which some of those skills are only rarely used.
Edit: it has been ages since I played Resurrection and Nevada so I don't recall all the skill checks and I don't feel like going through Nevada again.

One of my philosophies for any Fallout game I would like to make is that all these builds should be viable; Diplomat Boy, Action Boy, Stealth Boy, Science Boy.
You are a smooth talker, Rambo, a ninja, or the biggest nerd this side of the great war and you can still win.

I'm curious Gizmo, for the long while I never really saw you discussing Fallout: Nevada, and even Fallout 1.5: Resurrection.

I keep downloading them. I have not played them; possibly not installed them yet. Every time that I think to, I download the most recent version... and invariably play something else.

:hide:

So, if anyone has completed Sonora, could you please tell if it's better than Nevada? Nevada was very impressive for me (all the new and fresh made stuff, great random encounters) but at the same time didn't really felt like Fallout to me (unclear quests, no companions, lack of weapons and their progression etc). As far as I know Sonora was made in a relatively short time and I'm afraid it may share the same problems as Nevada.

On the other side I am of course amazed that we have another Fallout to play.

So, if anyone has completed Sonora, could you please tell if it's better than Nevada? Nevada was very impressive for me (all the new and fresh made stuff, great random encounters) but at the same time didn't really felt like Fallout to me (unclear quests, no companions, lack of weapons and their progression etc). As far as I know Sonora was made in a relatively short time and I'm afraid it may share the same problems as Nevada.

On the other side I am of course amazed that we have another Fallout to play.
I'm only a little under halfway through Sonora (which seems crazy to me given it's supposed to be smaller than Fallout 2 and Nevada) and I think that it's much better than Nevada, which I thoroughly enjoyed despite some similar issues you've described. I would go as far as to say that some of the plot and quests are superior to Fallout 1. This is a superbly made game and the short development time of 3-4 years can probably be attributed to the team already having knowledge of the engine and knowing how to avoid the mistakes made when they created F:Nevada.

It is truly fantastic to see that the Fallout world is growing thanks to overseas communities. Everyone who's a fan of Classic Fallout should check out Nevada, 1.5, and Sonora (and hopefully soon, Mutants Rising and Fallout: Yesterday.)

They cannot be compared. The project is different from Nevada, and has a fundamentally different approach to development.
Here is realized the idea of skills. Walkthrough is based on builds.
There are many interesting things, but there are “gaps” that were not in Nevada.

To understand, you need to try it yourself.
Sonora is smaller than Nevada, much like Fallout 1. Those who passed the game, they make the analogy to the Resurrection.

(unclear quests, no companions, lack of weapons and their progression etc).
Wouldn't you attribute the fact that 'unclear quests' is more because it's originally in Russian and therefore there isn't any information about them in the internet other than the ones in Russian sites and the ones already being discussed by in forums like here and the Codex? And also the fact that the mod author utilized the SPECIAL-Skill system in the ways the originals didn't do enough, like repeatedly using junk item for repairing stuff or radio to contact and mess with someone during quests.
No companions is a bummer, but from what I remembered there's plenty of weapons and progression, and definitely modding them and even modding them by yourself.

Sonora is smaller than Nevada, much like Fallout 1. Those who passed the game, they make the analogy to the Resurrection.
This makes me even more hyped now. 1.5 has its scope closer to 1 but with the exception of storytelling and narrative design is a much, much more superior game by virtue of what it did with the system. Thanks to its scope, I found myself replaying it more than 1&2 combined. In contrast, because of its size I've only finished Nevada once and didn't immediately replay it like I did with 1.5. This isn't exactly the fault of Nevada, seems it's my own tendency of getting overwhelmed by lengthy games before I could even start. But still, glad to hear Sonora is smaller (and therefore, hopefully, tighter in scope).

This makes me even more hyped now. 1.5 has its scope closer to 1 but with the exception of storytelling and narrative design is a much, much more superior game by virtue of what it did with the system. Thanks to its scope, I found myself replaying it more than 1&2 combined. In contrast, because of its size I've only finished Nevada once and didn't immediately replay it like I did with 1.5. This isn't exactly the fault of Nevada, seems it's my own tendency of getting overwhelmed by lengthy games before I could even start. But still, glad to hear Sonora is smaller (and therefore, hopefully, tighter in scope).
The last version of FNevada wanted to reduce by 60%, but refused, deciding to create another project.
Sonora is a double (strange) impressions. Many interesting innovations and ideas, but in some places loses to Nevada.

Thank you guys for awesome replies!
@Black Angel by unclear quests I mean quests like that in Reno when I had to determine from where shot went and I order to do that I needed to to inspect a street lamp (find a tiny detail). That was annoying because it felt so random, like some kind of pixel hunting. I needed to use a guide. About weapons - yes, there are many weapons, but you will probably spend the majority of the game with assault rifle from Winds of War and after that you will probably get a gauss rifle. In Fallout 1&2 it was more interesting (new locations=new toys). Some areas felt unfinished too, like you can encounter cannibalistic tribals with a special melee weapon (club as far as I remember), but there is no location, no story, nothing. So care and thought went into that encounters obviously, but stuff like this looks unfinished (''yeah, man I need to finish my next Sonora mod because...'').
Heh, so at that rate I expect a new mod in a few years.

Into FSonora there are fewer fights.
Incomplete locations in Nevada - this was in the Crazy edition. These are easter eggs upon request.
Sonora - still being finalized (waiting for fix 4)

I'm glad to hear Sonora is an upgrade from Nevada. Whilst I appreciated the manpower that went in, I must agree with what was said earlier in the thread about it missing "something" that didn't click as Fallout.

Back