Fallout: Vault 13 - Demo available

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
The demo for Fallout: Vault 13 is finally available! It's a Fallout 4 total conversion mod that aims to recreate Fallout.

In the demo you can explore a world space built around the following locations: Vault 13, Vault 15, Shady Sands and the Khans.

If you want to know more about the project you can read an interview that @The Dutch Ghost did with the developers earlier this year.

Fallout: Vault 13 is a total conversion mod for Fallout 4 that remakes and reimagines Fallout 1 in Fallout 4's engine. This demo features the entirety of "The Inyo", the first major open-world area in Fallout: Vault 13.

I checked out the demo and it's alright but it feels way too vibrant. It really is Fallout 1 re-imagined in Fallout 4's likeness. I understand they probably wanted to do more of a remake than a remaster but it really didn't feel at all like Fallout 1. It's just much less bleak and serious than Fallout 1 was. It is still just a demo but I didn't very much like it.

I have to a agree with junyaman223 in that it takes away a lot of the charm in terms of aesthetic and tone. To give credit where it's due, managing to reimplement the skill, trait, and SPECIAL system into both combat and dialogue is an amazing feat in and of itself, and the world map itself is very impressive. I think I'll keep track of the mod's progress, however playing it just felt like playing a sanitized version of Fallout 1. There was no bleak feel, no rusty metal UI, and when you explore the wasteland, taking out the feeling of randomly being stopped at any point to encounter enemies that may or may not slaughter you kinda undermines the danger of the wastes imo. Amazing effort for them though, I'm sure the full project will be amazing. It's just not for me.

I always find these remakes using the lastest game released as the base to be pointless. The aethestics, graphics, mechanics, UI and so on were clearly made with how Fallout 1 looks in mind, trying to transplant that to Fallout 4 engine just doesn't work.

I also don't want to play Fallout 1 with Fallout 4's disgusting, already dated at release plasticy graphics.

Last edited:
Sadly, the Fallout 4 graphics turn everything into this weird plastic feel, it loses a lot of the original game's charm.
And once again, here's yet another reason as to why I think that it was a mistake for Bethesda to stray away from Adam Adamowicz's art style/aesthetic when it comes to Fallout 4! With Adam's style, at least he captured the bleak, dark grittier tone of the original games. At least in my book!

:nod:

And once again, here's yet another reason as to why I think that it was a mistake for Bethesda to stray away from Adam Adamowicz's art style/aesthetic when it comes to Fallout 4! With Adam's style, at least he captured the bleak, dark grittier tone of the original games. At least in my book!

:nod:
Your book is good, his art style is great!

Most Bethesda games after Adam Adamowicz's passing don't have that same aesthetic charm older games like Morrowind and Fallout 3 have.

He's credited on fallout 4, but you can tell the difference in style easily

He didn't worked on Morrowind. Plus the art direction in Oblivion and Skyrim was pretty horrendous (specially Oblivion).

And i don't know, i don't think Fallout 3 really encapsulates the grittyness and bleakness of the originals. Just because you have a bunch of destroyed buildings doesn't mean you are capturing the same aethestic of Fallout 1 and 2, because those games's art went far beyond just destroyed stuff.

Last edited:
Back