Fallout: Vault 13 - Fallout 1 remake in F4

Another ambitious project that will eventually fail because the team behind it looses interest or has to focus on priorities.

While I would not mind seeing things like a more detailed and expanded vault 13 for example, I don't think Fallout 1 reserves itself very well for a First Person action game.
I tried the aborted FNV attempt a while back and so much of the maps feel so empty.

What I always hate about announcements of mods such as these that afterwards I always start thinking of what I would have liked to added to a project like this.

Now Fallout 1 is a very tightly designed game, there is nothing cut that makes it difficult to function.
But I feel some more material, including cut content and perhaps some new could be added to 'expand' it, and make it also a surprising experience again for people who have played Fallout 1 to death.

Frustrating part always remains, what do I want to do with this?
Do I want to share it with the team? What for, they probably already have plenty ideas of their own though I do not know how much these are influenced by Bethesda's retcons (I hope they stick solely to Fallout 1 but how likely is that to happen)

Some of the suggestions before that are new came from modders such as Lexx, so I will give credit where it is due and not claim it as my own.

Stuff cut from Fallout 1 I would like to bring back.

- The Vipers. These mutant snake worshiping raiders and their connection/conflict with the Brotherhood of Steel would return, the Vipers causing problems for traders who visit Lost Hills and ambushing BOS patrols, and the BOS having a hard time removing them from their camp in the mountains.

- The Jackals. Raiders feared for both their brutality and cannibalistic tendencies.

- The Rippers. A third raider gang in the Boneyard, notorious for the traps in their territory (and if I remember correctly also an inbred lot).
They got cut from original Fallout 1 and instead the developers put Deathclaws on their map/base that was set between the Blades and the Gunrunners.
Instead of being gone, the Rippers were forced to relocate to another place that offers less opportunities for them.

- Perhaps the planned community/computer run neighborhood located in the area where Interplay's old headquarters was located.
The old computer and security systems are still running, making people think that it is a great place to live and want to get in. But the truth is anything but that, conditions are not much better and the residents also have to deal with a nosy computer neighborhood watch that sees to it that the residents stick to the pre war established rules to be allowed to stay.

A purely optional place that is meant to be absurd.

- Perhaps the Thinker Nightkin. These would run a small community that is suppose to be an example of cooperation between the Unity and the people of the wasteland, with the Nightkin protecting and looking after the human residents.
But this seeming mutant-human utopia is also a facade.

The player could learn about the Cathedral at this place.

New additions

- After the player has cleared out Vault 15, and has told the people of Shady Sands about it, some of them go to Vault 15 to salvage resources and technology there.
When the player returns he/she finds some of Shady Sands' residents who have set up here.
(I think this idea came from Lexx)

- Diablo Canyon Power Station. An old Pre War nuclear power plant at the Californian coast that used to be the headquarters of the defunct Union of Atomic Workers who jealously guarded their knowledge and technology here until they got wiped out by unique mutants to the region.

An optional place the player could visit after having been to Vandenberg.
There would be some nice leftover tech here.
Biggest risk I see with this place is that it may feel too much like Gecko.

- Vandenberg AFB/SFB. A pre-war Air Force base that did get hit by missiles. Still enough is left over for it to attract scavengers/prospectors who go through the rubble to look for useful things such as parts and material which they sell to customers such as the Gunrunners.
There have been tensions between the various scavengers over claims, and next to that they also have to deal with the radiation that keeps coming down from Diablo Canyon. Both which has slow down work and business here.

An optional place though it could perhaps be tied to the Gunrunners (the Gunrunners sending the player here to find out what is slowing down shipments), and perhaps the Hub.
Perhaps this place is being watched by the Unity.

- Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake. A pre war military base were among other things new weapons were researched, designed, and tested for the US Navy.
This base would still be up and running, being guarded by turrets and sentry bots that are still carrying out their pre-war orders.

Main difficulty I see is that this place might be too much like the Sierra Army Depot, but if the computer run planned community idea does not work, this could perhaps take its place.

Edit: alternatively I would perhaps have merged Vandenberg and China Lake.
Increasing conflicts between scavengers. A part of the base that no one can enter because of the still working robots. And radiation coming down from the North.

Looks promising, I like the idea of the compromise for hub worlds and an open world by making gigantic base F4 sized hub worlds to reflect the large map size of the original. The end where they show some of the ruins in the desert looks neat. I like that travelling between these cities far apart will still be barren but also have stuff to look at or walk past other than brush and rocks. Never thought 3D F1/2 would work due to it's map size but it's a cool workaround.

They actually are putting F1/2 type skills and shit too? I noticed the low gun skill at work and liked the multiple skill based options to bypass locks.

And the video mentions they've only been at this for a year? Goes to show how retarded Bethesda is.

I'll keep an eye on this, maybe I'll actually reinstall F4 if this comes out.

I prefer the world map travel in FO1.
There were discussions in Discord about having radio stations in The Hub, Necropolis and BoS. Hmm... but I think it is not necessary...

Demo incoming!

Last edited:
I am mature enough to say that my doubts, though understandable as we have seen so many projects announced only to fail, were perhaps misplaced in this project.
I have not followed the development of the project (personal issues and so many other interests) so there was neither a big hype about this project on my side or disappointment, but seeing this short gamaplay is a nice surprise.

As for the changes made to for example the world layout. I have no problem with that as like the narrator of this video mentions, converting these directly has its challenges and might not work so well from a completely different perspective.
Plus I understand the desire to add.
As long as it preserves what these places are suppose to be and not radically change them I have no problem with a different visual portrayal.

Back