Favorite books / What are you reading?

Empty09:
Can anyone recommend some interesting books?

Call of the Wild or White Fang to get you into Jack London if you like nature/survival stuff, then The Sea Wolf (best) and Campfire Stories are also great. Really, for me, his writing is sublime, I like to think, he is my Shakespear, since i will likely never read any.

For more depressing reading about how fucked we all are:

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins

Perkins writes that his economic projections cooked the books Enron-style to convince foreign governments to accept billions of dollars of loans from the World Bank and other institutions to build dams, airports, electric grids, and other infrastructure he knew they couldn't afford. The loans were given on condition that construction and engineering contracts went to U.S. companies. Often, the money would simply be transferred from one bank account in Washington, D.C., to another one in New York or San Francisco. The deals were smoothed over with bribes for foreign officials, but it was the taxpayers in the foreign countries who had to pay back the loans. When their governments couldn't do so, as was often the case, the U.S. or its henchmen at the World Bank or International Monetary Fund would step in and essentially place the country in trusteeship, dictating everything from its spending budget to security agreements and even its United Nations votes. It was, Perkins writes, a clever way for the U.S. to expand its "empire" at the expense of Third World citizens. While at times he seems a little overly focused on conspiracies, perhaps that's not surprising considering the life he's led. --Alex Roslin

Or my old fave.

Behold A Pale Horse by Bill Cooper

http://www.amazon.com/Behold-Pale-H...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285290395&sr=1-1-spell

All that conspericy shit i eat it up i love it. hah.

mobucks said:
For more depressing reading about how fucked we all are:

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins
I heard a lot about this book. Is it well-written? I was tempted to get it the other day...

There's also a similar one about pharmaceuticals and the exploitation of the Amazon, but I've never been able to find that.

TBH i don't know much about economics so it was kinda hard to get through for me. Some chapters were easier than others. I recommend it just to help spread awareness about the insane bullshit these greedy people are doing around the world. "My" people. It disgusts me.

I have a long commute to work and have started listening to books on tape. I go through them really fast and books on CD are expensive so i started getting them through local libraries. Over the last couple months I've listen to:

250_Beck_060710_7events.jpg

freakonomics.jpg

super_freakonomics.JPG

I'm currently listening to:

7493.jpg

I finished this over the summer, pretty damn good
dismantling-america.png

Just re-read Malevil by Robert Merle... A must read if you are into post-nuclear literature.

526841961_small.jpg

I am currently craving for a new post-apoc/post-nuclear/dystopian fix... any recomendations besides the usual suspects (Phillip K. Dick, The Road, Brave New world... etc.)?

iii said:
I am currently craving for a new post-apoc/post-nuclear/dystopian fix... any recomendations besides the usual suspects (Phillip K. Dick, The Road, Brave New world... etc.)?
Have you read Stephen King's Dark Tower series? The first one (The Gunslinger, if I remember correctly) is excellent.

I've started on As You Like It, since I have a compilation of four Shakespeare comedies.

Also, The Stand, the long (original) version satisfied my post-apocalyptic cravings.

Larry Niven's Lucifer's Hammer is still an unshakable number one post-apocalyptic novel for me.

On another note, finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Rubbish. Easily Brown's worst book.

I just finished Boneshaker. It was pretty good.

The one thing I did not like was the authors attempt to put lots of trendy stuff in one book in order to try and win prizes.

Steampunk, Airships, Zombies....

The zombies were not too annoying though since they did not end up being the focus of the book..

WPD

Speaking of The Stand, anyone else following the Marvel comic adaption? So far they have released three graphic novelish collections of them. Captain Trips, American Nightmares, and Soul Survivors.

I am enjoying them thoroughly.

Wow, I just finished reading the script for "A Shoggoth on the Roof", and man, this is some great stuff, I'm going to try and see if I can't talk the local theater into doing a production of it.

Nearing the end of Ernst Jünger's Storm Of Steel.

It was pretty good. A lot of totally unexpected things to be learnt about the first world war.

Finished Deathly Hallows, reading the first Harry Potter now because it's my favorite of the whole series.

Reading "The Fighters" by Colin Willock

Its like a sophomoric "gone with the wind" for WWII fighter pilots. I really am enjoying it.

It almost makes me think the fall of the Reich was devine intervention. I did not know the Me-262 (first fighter JET! 150MPH faster than anything the allies had) sat as a prototype for 2 years before production was even considered, and even then Hitler wanted to make it a bomber.

We can all thank Hitler for being a maniac that murdered his good generals and promoted his stupid ones. Had he not been such a horrible tactician, we all might be speaking German these days.

Back