Favorite books / What are you reading?

"Betrayer of Worlds" by Larry Niven and Edward Lerner.

Fourth part of the series.
While I like Niven's Known Space and the Puppeteers I honestly hope they will do something different if there is ever another Known Space book or story.

Also do not like this retcon.

[spoiler:9633fe5398]Louis Wu is recruited by Nessus to prevent a Puppeteer war with another species before Ringworld.[/spoiler:9633fe5398]

Just started this:

118966233_c849f20380_o.jpg

and this:

1776_David_McCullough_unabridged_compact_discs.jpg

[spoiler:164c921038]Well, not all of the USS Indianapolis crew died, 317 of 1196 did survive. [/spoiler:164c921038]

The descriptions of the delivery of the Little Boy atom bomb was quite interesting too, didn't know that it was a secret until Truman announced what it was after it had been delivered to Tinian. I wonder if the crew sort of guessed what it was though, I mean they probably knew that it had something to do with the war effort.

A good read anyway.

UniversalWolf said:
MutantScalper said:
In Harm's Way - The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis by Doug Stanton. Just started, seems good.
Not exactly a happy ending to that one.
[spoiler:c40f64ff5b]It was happy for the sharks. :mrgreen:[/spoiler:c40f64ff5b]

Reading Lem's Solaris. Superb! I like it in tone even better than Tarkovsky's film.

Cimmerian Nights said:
[spoiler:036fc794cb]It was happy for the sharks. :mrgreen:[/spoiler:036fc794cb]
I can't argue with that.

BTW, MutantScalper, if you've never seen Jaws, now would be a good time -- right after reading about the Indianapolis. 8-)

Oh yea, Jaws is one of my favourite movies, back when Spielberg was still making good more-or-less realistic thrillers. Also the real story of the USS Indianapolis would be a more then enough material to base a movie on.

I have actually read the book Jaws by Peter Benchley long time ago, it's pretty good although quite different from the film.

Running through my WH40K books again. I'm currently on Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn Omnibus for the second time.

If you are into SCI-FI then Check out the Deathsalker books, if you are into Fantasy then check out anything by David Gemmel or the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Song of Ice and Fire series, in my opinion, is the best Fantasy series ever written.

I am probably going to end up rereading The Stones of Power series by David Gemmel, they make me wet my pants in excitement ... *looks around the room* ... j/k?

Reading Thunderhead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. One of their better ones, Relic being the best.

Killer Angels is a great book - well deserving of the Pullitzer. Avoid the sequels by the son like the plague.

Now reading With the Old Breed - E. B. Sledge.
Fucking brutal, outside of Stalingrad, I can't think of two combatants who brought the worst out in humanity more than the Japanese and the USMC did in each other.

Tales Of The Dying Earth

by Jack Vance

pretty good fantasy short stories. Just kinda picked it up in bookstore and I think i found a gem.

Back