FIFA Football

Mr Krepe

Water Chip? Been There, Done That
I was thinking because there is a NFL thread, I may as well start a FIFA thread. So is anyone into football (or soccer if your from north america), and I don't just mean international football, I also mean national football.

I myself support Sunderland AFC (Barclays Premier League), who i'm extremely happy there in 6th place and thats the highest they've been for a loooooooooong time. Although it's depressing we got knocked out of the FA Cup 3rd Rounds by NOTTS COUNTY FOR GODS SAKE. My favourite player by far is definetly Asamoah Gyan, who is a brilliant player for his age and considering he comes from a country that about four-five years ago wasn't even known as a world class team.

So anybodies opinions on the sport?

We have a world and european cup every time to balance out the yearly NFL thread, but I'm not sure a league thread works, unless it just turns into a Premier League thread.

Feyenoord Rotterdam fan here.

I don't support a team, but i'll just pretend to 'keep an eye on Tottenham' and look like a fan to show those NFL guys!

No I was thinking we could use this could be a general discussion thread for all leagues and cups of football.

Feyenoord Rotterdam eh? My cousin and uncle who live in the Netherlands supports FC Twente.

I don’t really care much about football, but occaſionally I keep an eye out for Alemannia Aachen.

I support Besiktas JK, Istanbul. We have the best supporters in the world. And with our latest signings... all your base are belong to us. :mrgreen:

How are Besiktas JK doing at the moment, its been a while since i've checked the Turkish league, are they in any of the euro tournaments?

@Threepwood: Yeah lets show those NFL guys!

Go Colts!

indianapolis-colts1.jpg

I had to do it... :lol:

Hmm, i've always wondered why north americans call what they have football and proper football soccer, our football has more...footing than yours.

Mr Krepe said:
Hmm, i've always wondered why north americans call what they have football and proper football soccer, our football has more...footing than yours.
Stems from the whole rugby vs soccer thing, where both wanted to be known as 'football'. In Britain, footy won. In the US, rugby did. Which then turned into American football.

Also, Brits used to call it soccer too. So there's that.

Anyway, go PSV!

Oh okay, I like rugby as well (woo Falcons). But I just noticed there quite afew Dutch guys on this website isn't there?

Mr Krepe said:
How are Besiktas JK doing at the moment, its been a while since i've checked the Turkish league, are they in any of the euro tournaments?

@Threepwood: Yeah lets show those NFL guys!

We're 5th in the league. Qualified to the elimination round in the UEFA cup. Gonna play the first leg against Dinamo Kiev in a week.

It should be noted that 3/4 of the team was injured during the first half of the season. Don't know how well you know the players but Rustu, Sivok, Ferrari, Guti, Quaresma, Bobo and some more were all injured for long periods.

I know Ferrari and Bobo, but that's about it, i'm more familiar with Galatarasay because my grandparents have a holiday home in that area, but I know few of the players per team.

I also support FC Salzburg in the Austrian leagues because quite a lot of my family come from that area (i'm half austrian).

Yeah Liverpool isn't too well off at the moment, but I heard Torres might be moving too another club soon, I hope Kenny Daglish does well for them, because if i'm honest Liverpool is my favourite team behind Sunderland.

Mr Krepe said:
I know Ferrari and Bobo, but that's about it, i'm more familiar with Galatarasay because my grandparents have a holiday home in that area, but I know few of the players per team.

I also support FC Salzburg in the Austrian leagues because quite a lot of my family come from that area (i'm half austrian).

Are you sure your grandparents have a holiday house in Galata? It's not really a holiday spot and also you must be a millionaire to afford a house there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galata

Not specifically Galata, it's a bit further north from Istanbul, but it's the nearest football team (I think) to their holiday home. Their holiday home is nearer to the Bulgarian border than it is to Istanbul. Plus the house isn't exactly grand, I think it's just a place for them to stay when they go to Turkey because Turkey is their favourite country to go on holiday to, it's more of a holiday hub, than an actuall holiday home.

Sander said:
Mr Krepe said:
Stems from the whole rugby vs soccer thing, where both wanted to be known as 'football'. In Britain, footy won. In the US, rugby did. Which then turned into American football.

Also, Brits used to call it soccer too. So there's that.
It's been suggested that if everyone started calling American football soccer, and soccer football, the universe would be in harmony. :D

When I was a little kid I had a Minnesota Kicks t-shirt, so I guess that's my team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Kicks

Back