Five Common Misconceptions about Fallout: The Series

They could double down because people like CT will absolutely bend over backwards to make things make sense in their heads. The producers know they can get away with the most nonsensical shit because the fans will fix it with headcanon. It's the "modders will fix it" of TV.

cant wait for in fallout 5 where the enclave returns from the moon and theyre led by the president of vault tec who want to sell people nukes so they can make more munny and uh use the money to idk make clones so pure humans can exist again. then fallout 6 is the vaultcave vs the zetan brotherhood alliance because fuck it they lost the plot 3 games ago. and cant wait for peopel to tell me how its good because fallout was always retarded why do you care

if you can quote where i held them up as a moral good in this thread go ahead and do it i guess. youre either schizo posting or strawmanning here

ok so you dont understand linear time. cool. idk why you cant just say that. this is also of course ignoring the half erased line under 2277 linking the nuke to that year but again either way its a shit timeline with basically no information on it other than a continuity error.
View attachment 28521

this is all extra retarded because amazon could easily just edit the episode and reupload it to their servers with a fixed timeline but instead they doubled down like retards

no the nuke didnt happen in 2277 like the show literally says it did it actually happened RIGHT after new vegas thus basically removing the game from the timeline. yeah all those ending slides and your whole journey? it didnt matter because I didnt work on it so its gay nyah

i could really care less what todd "lore destroyer" howard has to say about fallout

you seem to be making several arguments.

So I'll addressed them in turn.

1. You're saying everything is ruined by NCR being destroyed, explain to me how that isn't related to NCR being the good guys.

2. The timeline goes from left to right as time passes. That is how timelines work. "The Fall of NCR" and the Nuke are SEPARATE EVENTS. This is very easy to understand.

3. The show literally shows them separated by a frigging arrow dude.

4. NV is rendered pointless because NCR collapses the year after. Which, fair, is an interpretation if you're pro-NCR.

They could double down because people like CT will absolutely bend over backwards to make things make sense in their heads. The producers know they can get away with the most nonsensical shit because the fans will fix it with headcanon. It's the "modders will fix it" of TV.

I mean, I point out the differences, I point out what the show runners have said, and I mention things in the show.

But apparently none of that matters. What can I say.

1. You're saying everything is ruined by NCR being destroyed, explain to me how that isn't related to NCR being the good guys.
your brain doesnt work correctly thats all im gonna say.

when you definitvely say that 1/4 main endings doesnt matter a few months after it happens at most its bad. its alienating to a lot of players and it also goes a long way to regressing the setting since the NCR is replaced with nothign.
2. The timeline goes from left to right as time passes. That is how timelines work. "The Fall of NCR" and the Nuke are SEPARATE EVENTS. This is very easy to understand.
theres literally and arrow RIGHT under 2277 connecting the nuke emoji to 2277. Now i wonder why youd draw a line connecting to concepts? Hrmm. everything about the information presented is ambiguous at best and obviously contradictory. leaving off the year of the nuke is fucking stupid too. almost like it was intended to have happened in 2277

I don't disagree it's bad for NCR players. It's also something I wouldn't have done.

Thanks for explaining.

theres literally and arrow RIGHT under 2277 connecting the nuke emoji to 2277. Now i wonder why youd draw a line connecting to concepts? Hrmm. everything about the information presented is ambiguous at best and obviously contradictory. leaving off the year of the nuke is fucking stupid too. almost like it was intended to have happened in 2277

Except there's other events on the board that get arrows pointed to them.

If it was the date of the nuke, wouldn't the 2277 be UNDER the explosion?

If it was the date of the nuke, wouldn't the 2277 be UNDER the explosion?
Well there's no Date under the explosion so I guess it never happened

The fact that this argument has gone on as long as at has across the entire fanbase is proof enough that it was and is ambiguous contradictory garbage

This dude is a troll, or at least someone not worth replying to. Stop replying to the shitty takes and he'll go away.

This dude is a troll, or at least someone not worth replying to. Stop replying to the shitty takes and he'll go away.
CT or Graves? Neither are trolls.
/edit: another thing, the fall of Rome for example is ambiguous, it can refer to the city or the empire. If the fall of Shady Sands refers to the decline of the NCR, why isn't it named Fall of NCR? In F2 they barely referred to it as Shady Sands anymore. If the Fall of Shady Sands refers to a starting decline of the actual city Shady Sands, then all the stuff about Hoover Dam and the NCR being stretched too thin is moot, as this event apparently specifically refers to Shady Sands.
Twist and turn it, that chalkboard doesn't make a lot of sense. I think it's just a continuity by the producers and should be ignored.

Last edited:
No, we're saying production crew including script writers and set designers just didn't do a good job checking the timeline, and have decided to double down on this.

It's not the production crew's job to get it right even if they know it's wrong. Their job is to follow orders and make it look like they're told, so why should they care? This was a creative decision that had to come down from above.

when you definitvely say that 1/4 main endings doesnt matter a few months after it happens at most its bad. its alienating to a lot of players and it also goes a long way to regressing the setting since the NCR is replaced with nothign.

Based on everything we can see in the show, none of the endings are canonical. New Vegas was attacked by the Brotherhood or something so the independence endings don't matter. The Legion is nowhere to be seen so their endings don't matter. And obviously Shady Sands is nuked as soon as the dust settles at Hoover Dam so the NCR's endings don't matter. None of it mattered. Only Fallout 4 gets to matter.

I mean if you're going to say when everything went to shit from 2277 to 2282 (when Todd said the nuke happened), then that's as good a time as any. The Legion, economic collapse, the destruction of the Divide, and other shit all happened in a relatively short period of time.
Technically Todd didn't say that 2282 is when the nuke happened, he just said "It happened shortly after the events of New Vegas", probably because both Todd doesn't know exactly when the nuke happened and he doesn't want to be pinned down on some specific years since you could poke further holes and argue it invalidates some end slide or other if events transpired within a month of the game ending (given the game starts in mid-to-late October, it seems not a stretch that the game would actually end in November, December, or even further into 2283)

No...because when an empire "falls", you talk about the beginning of the descent into things.

Fall of Rome
Fall of Byzantium

You know, history.

What you're describing is not how the fall of nations are talked about.
I don't know how much of a student of history you are, but... both of the terms you cited are most often used to mean the actual final capture of those cities as a virtual end point for their respective polities. The Fall of Rome most often refers to the capture of the city of Rome by the Goths in AD 476, and used as a marker for the end of the Western Roman Empire.

The Fall of Byzantium is admittedly a little less conventional given that the polity is referred to as the Byzantine Empire or the Eastern Roman Empire, and the city is referred to as Constantinople, but given that Constantinople was originally called Byzantium (and that is where the historiographical name of the empire comes from), one would most obviously take this phrase to refer to the fall of Constantinople at the hands of the Turks in 1453, used as a marker for the end of the Eastern Roman Empire. And indeed, the first five google results that turn up when you search for the "Fall of Byzantium" are the fall of Constantinople, not the decline of the ERE more generally.

"The Fall of ___" can be and is used to refer to longer and more general processes of decline, but it's plain and primary meaning is the literal fall of a city, a siege. If you wanted to refer to the decline of a polity, of an empire like the Western Roman Empire or the Eastern Roman Empire, you would refer to that polity rather than its capital city, and indeed this is how people usually refer to these things.

In the case of "the Fall of Rome", most often in my experience it refers to the fall of the city itself in 476, but since the city is synonymous with the empire it is sometimes used to refer to the state's decline more generally. We could use fall of Byzantium the same way since Byzantium is a historiographical term with some ambiguity, could refer to the city or state. One trouble with drawing an analogy to the fall of Shady Sands is that Shady Sands is not synonymous with the state, the New California Republic. Though maybe it would work if the blackboard was referring to the decline of the State of Shady as a whole... though given that Shady Sands has been moved to LA, it's not clear how the State of Shady could exist at all.

It's not inconceivable that the 2277 mark refers to something other than the nuke (indeed I don't think the writers intended it to nesescarially in the first place), but it's an odd locution.

Based on everything we can see in the show, none of the endings are canonical. New Vegas was attacked by the Brotherhood or something so the independence endings don't matter. The Legion is nowhere to be seen so their endings don't matter. And obviously Shady Sands is nuked as soon as the dust settles at Hoover Dam so the NCR's endings don't matter. None of it mattered. Only Fallout 4 gets to matter.
ah my apologies (i didnt watch the show and havent interacted with any fallout media since 2017)

I haven't watched the show, so I am just asking based on that image of the timeline on a blackboard. But why is an event so significant as a nuke explosion in a capital city not dated on the timeline while vague events like "Fall of Shady Sands" are dated, why does that have an arrow to the nuke drawing while nothing else in that timeline picture has an arrow too? Also, why would the "Fall of Shady Sands" happen before it was nuked from the face of the Earth? Wouldn't the Nuke be the Fall of it? If it had fallen before the nuke then what was the point of destroying it with a nuke?

Are any of these questions answered on the show?

I haven't watched the show, so I am just asking based on that image of the timeline on a blackboard. But why is an event so significant as a nuke explosion in a capital city not dated on the timeline while vague events like "Fall of Shady Sands" are dated, why does that have an arrow to the nuke drawing while nothing else in that timeline picture has an arrow too? Also, why would the "Fall of Shady Sands" happen before it was nuked from the face of the Earth? Wouldn't the Nuke be the Fall of it? If it had fallen before the nuke then what was the point of destroying it with a nuke?

Are any of these questions answered on the show?
You are asking too many questions, you are supposed to just turn off your brain and enjoy the action and the funny comedy, not question if writers that get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars actually did their job like someone paid that much should.

I feel like Season 2 will probably be all New Vegas all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. House plays a big role since they bothered to cast him.

In any case, I agree that arguing over certain points past a certain point is pointless. You either think it's a mistake on the blackboard and they're lying about it being a mistake (fine) or you think it isn't a mistake but many people really didn't get what they were going for, so it probably should have been correctly labeled.

Whether it was a good idea to nuke Shady Sands or not is also dependent on whether you think getting the audience to care about the events in the show works.

The showrunners clearly think that Fallout fans will care about who wiped out the town from 1 and the fall of NCR. Much like the Star Wars sequels and the Fall of the New Republic, quite a lot of fans blame the writers versus the in0universe parties.

Technically Todd didn't say that 2282 is when the nuke happened, he just said "It happened shortly after the events of New Vegas", probably because both Todd doesn't know exactly when the nuke happened and he doesn't want to be pinned down on some specific years since you could poke further holes and argue it invalidates some end slide or other if events transpired within a month of the game ending (given the game starts in mid-to-late October, it seems not a stretch that the game would actually end in November, December, or even further into 2283)

I don't know how much of a student of history you are, but... both of the terms you cited are most often used to mean the actual final capture of those cities as a virtual end point for their respective polities. The Fall of Rome most often refers to the capture of the city of Rome by the Goths in AD 476, and used as a marker for the end of the Western Roman Empire.

The Fall of Byzantium is admittedly a little less conventional given that the polity is referred to as the Byzantine Empire or the Eastern Roman Empire, and the city is referred to as Constantinople, but given that Constantinople was originally called Byzantium (and that is where the historiographical name of the empire comes from), one would most obviously take this phrase to refer to the fall of Constantinople at the hands of the Turks in 1453, used as a marker for the end of the Eastern Roman Empire. And indeed, the first five google results that turn up when you search for the "Fall of Byzantium" are the fall of Constantinople, not the decline of the ERE more generally.

"The Fall of ___" can be and is used to refer to longer and more general processes of decline, but it's plain and primary meaning is the literal fall of a city, a siege. If you wanted to refer to the decline of a polity, of an empire like the Western Roman Empire or the Eastern Roman Empire, you would refer to that polity rather than its capital city, and indeed this is how people usually refer to these things.

In the case of "the Fall of Rome", most often in my experience it refers to the fall of the city itself in 476, but since the city is synonymous with the empire it is sometimes used to refer to the state's decline more generally. We could use fall of Byzantium the same way since Byzantium is a historiographical term with some ambiguity, could refer to the city or state. One trouble with drawing an analogy to the fall of Shady Sands is that Shady Sands is not synonymous with the state, the New California Republic. Though maybe it would work if the blackboard was referring to the decline of the State of Shady as a whole... though given that Shady Sands has been moved to LA, it's not clear how the State of Shady could exist at all.

It's not inconceivable that the 2277 mark refers to something other than the nuke (indeed I don't think the writers intended it to nesescarially in the first place), but it's an odd locution.
Wasn't Rome captured in 376, marking beginning of the end, and in 476 Odoacer deposed the last emperor in Rome?

Wasn't Rome captured in 376, marking beginning of the end, and in 476 Odoacer deposed the last emperor in Rome?
The Emperor was killed by the Goths in 378, and Rome was sacked in 410.

If I'm right, that event prompted Augustine to write City of God. Also, for those who love ST:TNG, Picard wonders how Honorius felt when he saw the sack of the great city. (This is in the season finale of 3, when the Borg seem unstoppable).

I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. House plays a big role since they bothered to cast him.
I mean they also cast Sinclair (as a big old fat guy for some reason) and the lady from REPCONN who exists from only like 3 terminal entries in NV.

I do think you're right that House may play a major role in Season 2, though surely he won't appear alive, only in flashbacks.

Rome was sacked in 410 by a band of Goths, not 376. That sack (and the wars with the Goths from 376 onwards) is indeed conventionally used as a point to mark the beginning of terminal decline (though most historians set the beginning of decline more generally earlier) since it was the first time a foreign army captured the city since the Gauls had in the 4th century BC (an event which arguably set in motion the building of the Roman empire as the Romans sought to expand the frontiers of their republic to ensure nothing like that ever happened again). It would be sacked several times thereafter, finally in 476.

The term "the Fall of Rome" refers most generally as you say to Odoacer deposing the last Western Roman Emperor (not at that time based in Rome I don't think), and the Roman senate (still based in Rome) transferring Imperial authority to the Eastern emperor, who in turn conferred status to Odoacer and the Goths as rulers of Italy.

Back