Five Common Misconceptions about Fallout: The Series

Even with that, just because a piece of media that wasn't even finished and released was gonna do something doesn't mean that you actually do it in an actual finished product. This "Van Buren was gonna do it anyway" is ridiculous and feels just like coping.

Even with that, just because a piece of media that wasn't even finished and released was gonna do something doesn't mean that you actually do it in an actual finished product. This "Van Buren was gonna do it anyway" is ridiculous and feels just like coping.

Exactly this. I've had so many discussions within the Fallout fandom where they bring up Van Buren to justify something that was officially done. Van Buren wasn't even sure of what they wanted to do in the came. Circle Junction was scrapped entirely despite it being in the design doc and only canonized via Ulysses spiel, Tibbet's Prison design doc was heavily contradictory to the rest of the game, and if I'm not mistaken even Hoover Dam was up in the air. The Van Buren design docs are a window into the creative process of Black Isle, not a Bible, as is, ironically the Fallout Bible.

Van Buren wasn't going to definitively destroy the NCR offscreen. the player was supposed to be given that option at the end of the game after dealing with Presper

It's already cut off and dying by the time of the game. You can just finish off the remnants.

So it's absolutely it happening off screen.

Arguably, its exactly the situation in the TV show.

I'm heavily skeptical of most media, to the point that it could take me years to try something out. Which is funny because I have a large library of Steam games that I've never played (they were all on sale at the time). Almost all the games that I currently play are largely relegated to things I've played in the past. All that is to say, Van Buren (the two fan projects that I'm aware of) is really the only game related media that I'm excited for.

Van Buren wasn't going to definitively destroy the NCR offscreen. the player was supposed to be given that option at the end of the game after dealing with Presper
Van Buren was going to imply that due to the NCR-Brotherhood War things were going very, very poorly back west, to the point where supply caravans from core NCR to Hoover Dam had ceased almost entirely and no one at Hoover Dam was exactly sure how things were going back there.

I don't think that B.O.M.B. was going to give the player the ability to bomb the rest of NCR, just Hoover Dam and other exclusively in-game locations.

It's already cut off and dying by the time of the game. You can just finish off the remnants.

So it's absolutely it happening off screen.

Arguably, its exactly the situation in the TV show.
The exact state is open to interpretation, but yes things are going very poorly. But I think drawing a comparison to the TV show is a false equivalency

That’s weird. You forgot to mention Bawls in this post.
The bit died because the bawls in my system was drained from reading this idiotic thread

It's already cut off and dying by the time of the game. You can just finish off the remnants

Van Buren was going to imply that due to the NCR-Brotherhood War things were going very, very poorly back west, to the point where supply caravans from core NCR to Hoover Dam had ceased almost entirely and no one at Hoover Dam was exactly sure how things were going back there.

Yeah, the ncr is still around but not outright nuked offscreen. I guess you could say that's the case for moldavers cult of bawls or whatever

Last edited:
My argument is that Fallout should include the elements and factions of the game because that's why it's Fallout. You can justify it in-universe why the BOS and other groups are in places. It's just weird the BOS *AND* Enclave *AND* Super Mutants are in the East Coast.

At least the Vaults are justified as they're all over the country.

Yep and it needs elements of the setting to justify it being Fallout versus calling it ATOMICA.
The setting of Fallout 1 and 2 is the West Coast. But the world of Fallout is more than that, and different factions and events would spring up according to the fictional histories of the region. "Fallout" isn't determined by the inclusion of a handful of markers like BoS or Enclave, it's by understanding how the world works. Because the setting of Fallout is a bit more unique than just the factions, it has its own internal logic and history that, if understood, can be used to invent new factions and so on.
Again I am amazed that you're an actual author who also writes in a fictional universe that isn't yours. You should understand this.

NCR is not the whole of California, it's just the government of Shady Sands.
Lmao? Ncr is the whole of California, some of oregano, nevada and parts of mexico. Sometimes I wonder if you even played these games my guy

It's not like Fallout 2 and Tactics and Van Buren ditched the original stuff.
I mean 2 kinda did. The only thing that's in it as it was in the original is some of the creatures. Older factions either weren't present or had evolved into something new entirely in a natural way.

Last edited:
I mean 2 kinda did. The only thing that's in it as it was in the original is some of the creatures. Older factions either weren't present or had evolved into something new entirely in a natural way.

Well the Brotherhood of Steel has a minor role, there's NCR, the Super Mutants of the Master, and obviously Arryo is the descendant of the Vault-13ers.

But fair point.

Lmao? Ncr is the whole of California, some of oregano, nevada and parts of mexico. Sometimes I wonder if you even played these games my guy

Yes, which was stupid but that's not what I mean. I'm saying that Shady Sands was destroyed but not the whole of California.

"NCR" is dead but not California.

Vault City, San Fran, and so on are presumably fine and not nuked. They're just liberated from the corrupt pseudo-US government.

Well the Brotherhood of Steel has a minor role, there's NCR, the Super Mutants of the Master, and obviously Arryo is the descendant of the Vault-13ers.

But fair point.
NCR was a new thing, Shady Sands was just a small village in 1. BOS is just two bunkers and a few side quests. The Super Mutants are just remnants of the Masters Army, mostly living together peacefully with humans and not being an enemy.
The landscape had evolved in a natural fashion since Fallout 1.

The Shih were never incorporated into the NCR. They should still be kicking around in San Francisco, yet there are no Chinese people anywhere in southern California to be seen. The only hint that the Shih still exist is the Dao used by Benjamin.

Yes, which was stupid but that's not what I mean. I'm saying that Shady Sands was destroyed but not the whole of California.

"NCR" is dead but not California.
Destroying one town should not delete an entire government that spans 3 states that's fucking stupid

It's star trek blowing up Romulus all over again

Destroying one town should not delete an entire government that spans 3 states that's fucking stupid

It's star trek blowing up Romulus all over again
I have the suspicion that CT actually thinks NCR is just the city of Shady Sands because we only see that part in Fallout 2.

I have the suspicion that CT actually thinks NCR is just the city of Shady Sands because we only see that part in Fallout 2.

I mean I keep repeatedly saying how much NCR is a imperialist power and listing all of the cities its annexed that are free now.

But sure, believe what you want.

Shady Sands is the heart of NCR because with it dead, there's no more reason to belong to that conquering sore on the Americas.

I mean I keep repeatedly saying how much NCR is a imperialist power and listing all of the cities its annexed that are free now.

Shady Sands is the heart of NCR because with it dead, there's no more reason to belong to that conquering sore on the Americas.
As has already been stated, the NCR is more than just Shady Sands, Shady Sands is merely the capitol from which a nation grew. Between the events of the first and second game, the NCR grew, ultimately incorporating small and large pockets of civilization as they did. Those very same civilizations would likely come to share the same laws and customs of the NCR as time would pass. The Shi and Vault City as civilizations (laws, customs, identity etc.), by time of New Vegas, are likely no more. They are probably just like most real life people, that want to go about their day to day lives, not caring what happened a few decades ago. Again, the NCR is not just one city, it is a full blown Nation incorporating the vast majority of three states.

Edit: Now I'm going to go piss and go to bed, because it's 3 AM

But didn't you earlier try to argue that Shady Sands isn't even the capital anymore and it moved prior to the nuking, and that's why the NCR isn't actually gone? Which then shifted to the NCR splintered into several people claiming rightful authority? Now it's "NCR is dead and here's why that's a good thing"?

Back