FO/FO2 Map Viewer

If you disappear for a long time again, don't forget to upload the source code, because I recently had to decompile your exe with the ILSpy utility.
I wanted to rebuild it, but your app has some third-party stuff in the form of WindowChrome, which had problems during the build.
Yeah, it was built back when Microsoft.Windows.Shell was a separate dll, and not incorporated directly into .Net. It's now in the System.Windows.Shell namespace.

What I said in that original update was a bit wrong - I hadn't taken a look at my old code at the point I wrote that, so I made some assumptions that turned out wrong.

First off, the parser was written in c# originally - I just forgot what the .dll that I tried to get fancy with, was for. I was correct - at least in spirit with how I handled file loading, though I was at least smart enough to put it in a background loader - I still loaded and collected multiple copies of the same file. The parser also was a lot more accurate than I thought it was - though, due to crashing on some maps, it wasn't especially so.

As far as disappearing goes - I will at least release the version I'm working on. Provided it isn't as much of a buggy mess as what I left you guys with, I'll upload the source.

I honestly thought nobody was interested in it as I left it - considering how many people had issues with getting it working. But if I have someone bumping this thread 6 years later, I must've done something that the existing tools didn't ‍♂️

Though I still have to look into how Fallout/2 handles idle animations - assuming some kind of random, or set delay, both frame and palette animations are working. Should make things a bit prettier. That said, since the purpose of a map viewer, is to actually see the map, I'm probably going to skip darkness support.

foanimtest.gif

I don't quite understand why you need to work with animations, do you want to make your own engine?)
such things are usually unnecessary for map viewing.
What is your goal?

I had an idea to make a map editor based on your code to replace dims mapper, because dims mapper uses an outdated programming language that has become a very inconvenient language (for me personally).
Maybe you should consider your program as an editor, it will be more useful than a simple viewer.
I could help you occasionally with writing code for the editor if you start your own repository with source code on GitHub. :)

I had an idea to make a map editor based on your code to replace dims mapper, because dims mapper uses an outdated programming language that has become a very inconvenient language (for me personally).
Maybe you should consider your program as an editor, it will be more useful than a simple viewer.
I could help you occasionally with writing code for the editor if you start your own repository with source code on GitHub. :)

Well, I wanted to faithfully re-create how the maps look in game, without compromising utility - is it necessary? No. But unlike certain old-school FRM editors, WPF does a good job at displaying animations, so consider it taking advantage of the strengths of the platform. :D So while I'm reviewing this old code, and re-familiarizing myself with WPF, I'm seeing what I need/can update and change as I go.

My main intent is to provide a tool that aids players while they're playing the game - see names, descriptions, and even inventories of people and containers while being able to see the entire map as a whole, without the crippling scroll limits found in the game itself.

Editing support is not out of the question in the future, and I think - even from the beginning, that I wanted to keep that option open, choosing to go with an authoring style of UI, instead of simply just one designed around viewing. But as the requirements for the viewer, are still inline with any future role as an editor, I'm starting there.

Before expanding from viewing to editing however, I'd really like to cover an updated FRM editor and DAT explorer. FRM Workshop has not aged well especially - and although I admit my knowledge of every existing editor is lacking, having separate tools for Fallout and Fallout 2 is kinda pointless, and both F1DatExplorer and the Fallout 2 variant by Dims, could use a less clunky UI.

I take my hat off to you for making this in 2013. I am also working on a Fallout 2 map editor but nowadays it is a completely different story when we have most of the data formats reverse-engineered and documented on various wikis. What's more, we even have an open-source F2 engine re-implementation - Falltergeist. Still, it was quite painful for me to get even the basics done and simply display a map.

dVg0N4j.jpg

The technology stack I chose is C++ and SFML with IMGUI for the user interface. Qt Framework that someone mentioned in this thread would have been a better choice for future development, but it would take me ages to get even to this simple prototype stage using Qt :-?

Howdy.

I am trying to run the FO/FO2 Map Viewer without success.

I followed the instructions as outlined. Unpacked all the DAT files : master.dat, critters.dat, sfall.dat, patch000.dat etc. and linked the decompiled Data folder in the preferences of the Map Viewer. Troubleshooting around, i even converted all my map files into FO1 files.

Map Viewer loads the map and crashes when the status bar shows ''loading FRM'' without leaving any error dialog box. I use windows 10. I have the Steam version of FO2. Downloaded modding tools and working in a backup directory on my desktop.

Is there something that I'm missing ? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Back