FO4

I tend to agree, Fallout 3 was a excellent start. We all rail on what it failed at but overall its still a fallout game. You still have the same weapons, albeit it fewer. You still have similar animals. Similar locals. Similar everything. Just different.

In anycase I'm just a positive person and its hard to displease me. That being said I hope they go back to the NCR. Back to see what happened. See the vault city again. See the results of the use of the Geck.

I personally think they will make a expansion with more weapons from fo2 though for fo3. A lot of the story elements can be brought into this world. Remains to be seen what hey plan though.

There quiet lately about what comes next.

Pope Viper said:
Hopefully they won't use the same GD engine.

i really doubt it, they will surely update the engine to run new things but nothing more, today the rule of "if still work don't fix it, or improve it just make it simple" applies in the gaming market

Post-apocalyptic Canada or Mexico is close enough to post-apoc U.S. to preserve a certain feel, yet different enough to be interesting.

Why would anyone care about borders after the bombs fall. And Canada is American territory anyways.

I'd sat the midwest and parts of canada. Or they could do it in alaska, i wouldn't mind alaska.

They really do need a new engine though, maybe id's new engine?
It seems like it can support open ended enviroments.

An engine switch will mostly improve the game graphics but not Bethesda`s design philosophy. Every company has a philosophy how to sell things and make enough money to stay in business. Fallout 3 was a pleasant surprise at least for me. But if you take a closer look you can still see the same pattern: too much handholding, popups, quest compass, short dialogues, consolized interface, copy ´n paste buildings/objects, just to name a "few". They`ll do what they do best, that`s for sure.

PS: That game is compared to what else is around there a lot of fun. But it doesn`t reach the greatness of FO/FO2 in terms of roleplaying. *puts his bag of caps on Afterfall*

I've never seen Afterfall before. Interesting if hard to do concept. I actually am behind fallen earth which is a mmorpg. Mind you VERY heavily based on a fallout style world :)

Jahnri said:
I tend to agree, Fallout 3 was a excellent start. We all rail on what it failed at but overall its still a fallout game. You still have the same weapons, albeit it fewer. You still have similar animals. Similar locals. Similar everything. Just different.

I've been waiting for Fallout 3 to come out for 10 years now, and I must say I'm enjoying every minute of it. I think Beth did a good job capturing the atmosphere of Fallout.

Can it use improvement? Absolutely... I think Beth made a horrible mistake not releasing the CS for Fallout 3 like they did with Oblivion. Let's be honest, it was the modding community that saved Oblivion. Fallout 3 should be no different. There is SO much cool stuff that can be made for Fallout 3, if only we were given the right tools.

With that said... as far as Fallout 4 is concerned, I'd really like to see a game take place in Pittsbugh, PA. For those of you who made it into the Citadel in Fallout, you may recall a BoS knight that tells a story of growing up in "The Pitt", the battle ontop of "Mount Wash", and the 3 radioactive rivers.

Being a Pittsburgh native, I'd love to see a Fallout game set in my old stomping grounds.

I wish Bethesda studied Troika's Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines on how to make a profund Action RPG.

Or they could do it in alaska, i wouldn't mind alaska.

I would like it, too, but only if we have very survivalistic concepts, like having to keep your body warm with fires, food and heavy clothing. Using heavy clothing instead of heavy armor would make more sense. It should also be very desolated. And lethal. Also, watch out for frozen lakes and packs of Mutant Wolves!

While I would like to see a Fallout set somewhere else if only so Beth would leave the established canon alone, it really would then be just another post-apocalyptic game, nothing to do with Fallout which presents a particular style that depends on the idea the the US would have followed a 50's imagined future.

If set in Europe, China, Soviet Union, well the same retro-future world wouldn't apply, so the game would lose that particular link.

Maybe if you include a bit of the US and other places to both provide that link to old Fallouts and to contrast what has happened elsewhere it could work. A plot could be that you are a Chinese survivor stuck in the US a few years after the war and you are trying to get back to China somehow, by stealing some boat(I'm sure there would have been boats that survived a few years after the war), and having adventures facing hostile population and trying to gain trust so that you can go home, where you may find that it's not any better than in the US or even worse.

Jahnri said:

In anycase I'm just a positive person and its hard to displease me. That being said I hope they go back to the NCR. Back to see what happened. See the vault city again. See the results of the use of the Geck.

I personally think they will make a expansion with more weapons from fo2 though for fo3. A lot of the story elements can be brought into this world. Remains to be seen what hey plan though.

There quiet lately about what comes next.

Jokes aside, Fallout 3 fails at being Fallout. Similar looks and weapons change nothing, aside from an excuse of trying to make it as close to the originals as possible (look how detailed are Vaults are! And the Vault Boy, too).

Though I would like to know what happened on the West Coast.

Thinking about F4 I remembered Van Buren and how in the end on the game you get on the space station. I was thinking that it would be interesting that main protagonist in F4 is from the station. Maybe people who committed a crime are exiled to the planet and it would be his/her first time on the planet.

Ravager69 said:
Jokes aside, Fallout 3 fails at being Fallout. Similar looks and weapons change nothing, aside from an excuse of trying to make it as close to the originals as possible (look how detailed are Vaults are! And the Vault Boy, too).

Perhaps, but Interplay's Fallout is dead. I think Bethesda have done quite a good job in reinvigorating the series, think if EA or something had bought it - we would just get stale GoW style shooters.

Can't wait to see what Beth do with FO4.

Sorry, but I consider FO3 a stale shooter, they tried to be too many things to too many people, and really didn't pull it off, IMO.

jamesmcm said:
Perhaps, but Interplay's Fallout is dead. I think Bethesda have done quite a good job in reinvigorating the series, think if EA or something had bought it - we would just get stale GoW style shooters.

i really cant understand why you see bethesda as "saviours" of Fallout. How is simplifying and consolizing a RPG series, so that it ends up as mediocre , any better from making it a FPS ? I remind you its very FPS like , and has very few good RPG elements in it.
Why bother making a game called fallout, if it isnt anything like Fallout ? They could have just created something of their own, if they want to make something so different from Fallout. And it would have worked better. I would have probably liked it more.

jamesmcm said:
Ravager69 said:

They did not. They are simply lazy both in creating new ideas and creating games - that's why they won't come up with a setting of their own (TES, Call of Cthulu, Fallout - none of this is the work of current Bethesda crew). They simply buy out the ones that should remain dead and then they adapt it to the need of current 13 year olds and sell it as the best shit ever, better than the original stuff. I'm sorry, but I can't and won't agree that Bethesda did anything but stealing other people's work (and then fucking it over to make more cash). I simply can't do it with a clear conscience.

I am certainly *not* buying Fallout 4. I did the mistake with F3 and will not do so again.

Yes it was, and even in this universe there is talk of the NAU, the North American Union, so that may not be so far off from the truth.

Danilh said:
New York.

Would't be a bad idea.

Still, I think the area in Fallout 4 should be bigger. With bigger cities like the previous games.

Fallout 1: South California.
Fallout 2: North California, south Oregon and west Nevada.
Van Buren: East Nevada, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona.
Fallout 3 = Downtown Washington DC and the surrounding desert. WTF?

I hope they get themselves a new engine and abandon Gamebryo. It's just a clunky old engine by now.

Back