FOnline Engine Development support on Patreon

Hassknecht

For hate's sake.
Staff member
Admin
Board Cop oTO
Orderite
Oh, nice!
I'm so much want that our good modders guys can earn money on this engine, this is will be big proud for me.
And be sure I don't ask any cent ever!
This Patreon shit now need for more-less hype to collect all fonline devs and make effort to finalize first stable version and continue development with good programming culture.

Features
  • MIT license
  • Isometric graphics (Fallout 1/2/Tactics or Arcanum -like games)
  • Multiplayer mode with authoritative server
  • Singleplayer mode (work without distinguish between server and client sides)
  • Supporting of hexagonal and square map tiling
  • Perendered sprites for environment but with possibility of using 3D models for characters
  • Engine core written in C++ (favored C++17 standard)
  • Flexible scripting system with varies supporting languages:
    • Mono C# (modern and safe scripting)
    • Native C++ (for performance critical places)
    • AngelScript (engine legacy scripting support)
  • Cross-platform with target platforms:
    • Windows
    • Linux
    • macOS
    • iOS
    • Android
    • Web
    • PlayStation
    • UWP (PC, Mobile, Xbox)
  • Supporting of following asset file formats:
    • Fallout 1/2
    • Fallout Tactics
    • Arcanum
    • 3D characters in modern graphic formats (FBX)
    • And common graphics formats like PNG or TGA

Flexible scripting system with varies supporting languages:
  • Mono C# (modern and safe scripting)
  • Native C++ (for performance critical places)
  • AngelScript (engine legacy scripting support)
So I take it, a native Fallout 2 scripting language interpreter was not possible to implement?
Eh... It would have been awesome to finaly have a working open source isometric engine for Fallout.

Anyway, it's great to hear that the engine is still supported. cvet, thanks for your tremendous work.

So I take it, a native Fallout 2 scripting language interpreter was not possible to implement?
Who really still wants the shitty ssl?

Eh... It would have been awesome to finaly have a working open source isometric engine for Fallout.
I mean, it's an isometric engine, it's open source, and you can make it look like Fallout.

I mean, it's an isometric engine, it's open source, and you can make it look like Fallout.
Yeah, but it'd be great to have an engine that can take the old scripting language and assets just directly and provide a better engine. Like, Fallout Et Tu makes Fallout 1 better by upgrading it to the Fallout 2 version of the engine. OpenMorrowind makes Morrowind better by ditching the crappy old engine. Daggerfall Unity, DaggerXL, the billions of Quake engines and so on. Have the option for a new scripting language, but support the old language to let it run the old games right out of the box without having to completely redo the entire game.

To be honest, I don't really see a point in that. We can do almost anything we want with Sfall now, so why bother? It's not about modding either, because people barely make (big) mods for the classic games anyway.

Well, maybe they would make more big mods if they had an engine that combined the old scripts with a newer, better one :D

A really strange question coming from a guy who finished the F1->F2 port.
Sure. I just hope that some day we can have a more flexible and modern tool than the F2 engine with Sfall for original Fallouts.
We can do almost anything we want with Sfall now, so why bother?
Well, yes, but actually, no. In theory Sfall is capable of anything, but in reality changing some core engine functinality (like rendering, fonts handling or assets handling) will be the tasks of at least the same complexity as effectively reimplementing them. Say, someone wants to make a scalled up version of F2 using modern AI techniques to upscale the images, using a 32bit bitmap. How much work will it take to make Sfall support this? While Fonline engine already can handle most of it.

Last edited:
A really strange question coming from a guy who finished the F1->F2 port.
Or maybe I know what I'm talking about.

Well, yes, but actually, no. In theory Sfall is capable of anything, but in reality changing some core engine functinality (like rendering, fonts handling or assets handling) will be the tasks of at least the same complexity as effectively reimplementing them. Say, someone wants to make a scalled up version of F2 using modern AI techniques to upscale the images, using a 32bit bitmap. How much work will it take to make Sfall support this? While Fonline engine already can handle most of it.
Pretty sure nobody would do that even with the best open source engine.

Modders for the classic Fallout games are rare nowadays, and I doubt some mystical open source engine would change this. It's not like modding Fallout 2 is hard... just barely anyone has interest in it.

Back