FreeFT: open source Fallout Tactics engine

Ya people at DaC where talking about your project a while back.

I too am considering trashing my engine and using yours if you keep adding these amazing features! XD
I fully support the development of this great project, your engine opens a lot of new possibilities for modders, things we could only dream of.

Ya people at DaC where talking about your project a while back.

I too am considering trashing my engine and using yours if you keep adding these amazing features! XD
I fully support the development of this great project, your engine opens a lot of new possibilities for modders, things we could only dream of.

Yeah, one of the major things for me is how smooth and responsive n_adult's engine is. One thing about the Phoenix engine is that it looks so beautiful and has awesome lighting (to me it is the natural evolution of F1/2 engines to their "HD" states; if Van Buren was ever made I would have wanted it to look like FT, not that piece of shit 3D engine they used), but that it runs very poorly and is incredibly laggy. n_adult's engine is obviously more modern and runs smooth as silk and retains that beautiful 2.5D (3/4 perspective) look I love. And of course in terms of modding it is a gold mine, being open source. I have some C experience (not much though), but will actually get back into C heavily for this; however for less technical modders and of course for actually creating content more efficiently, the modding/editor tools that n_adult builds for his engine will be important. Thus far though the editors seem good. Overall, this project is incredibly exciting to me and I again want to implore n_adult to keep at it, for it is greatly appreciated and will definitely be used.

Hi guys,

I really appreciate the support. But you have to know that making a complete game with full modding support still requires a lot more work. And I would rather make smaller game with smaller number of features than try to make a full-blown RPG and never finish it. Hopefully by the end of June I will have something playable (simple multi-player combat). Then I will reassess about what to do next.

Btw. I have a similar view on graphical style of FT. It's simply beautiful, for me it looks better than every Post-apo game that's there (Wasteland 2, Van Buren or Fallout 3). I always though that it's a shame that nobody pushed this further and made full RPG looking like FT.

Hi,

Sorry for no updates for two months, but I had other things to do in June and unfortunately, the project stalled. At the beginning of July I've taken a two-week vacation from work and I worked hard, to move FreeFT forward. Lot's of new features have been added, here's a short list:
- Greatly improved HUD (all of the basic in-game menus are completed)
- Improved main menu: added 'Connect to server' sub-menu
- Added lobby server
- Basic multiplayer gameplay working: players can quickly join to a server and start playing with others in deathmatch mode
- Added turrets
- Improved AI
- Improvements in editor
- Fixed lot's of bugs
- Added MP3 support (music in main menu)

Short video demonstrating new features:
https://vimeo.com/101652935

Executables are available here:
http://freeft.pl/2014/07/techdemo-4/

Last edited:
phobos2077: Possible, but it would require a few months of work at least.
I don't plan to do that, it would be fun to do, but I don't have much spare time lately.

Incredible work n_adult. Please do see this project through to the end. I am planning on using your engine to create my own dream version of a Fallout Tactics game. Thank you so much for what you have already done; it is greatly appreciated by myself and the community and will allow future modders another option of creating FT content within an optimized engine and framework.

Waiting for the next release is killing me XD I really REALLY want to see this project shine, it has soooo much potential, love the editors! I am really starting to hate the Tactics level editor seeing your editor.

Anyway, I hope this project is going good, can't wait for the next release man! Take care!

I have some basic skills in C and long experience in programming, did Web projects mostly, and if this INCREDIBLE project can get to a more advanced state, I will love to spend my free time on a exploration based version, or simply on transfering all my contents to your engine! Do you think it can be taken to a kind of MMORPG? Do this engine directly use .til, .zar, .ent and .spr?

Hi,

A little update: project is currently on hold, because I have lot's of other stuff going on right now. I don't know whether I will continue working on FreeFT and if I will, when it will happen. Still if you guys have some free time, you can try adding Dialogue system and some RPG system and make a single player game out of this. It shouldn't be hard. But MMO is something completely different. When I was desinging the engine I had a multi player action game (like FT multi) and maybe a single player game in mind. I never intended to do a MMO.

Last edited:
Great, A single player game would already be much much better than using phoenix engine. I kind of like it in some ways still, but that could be something much more powerfull to have some open-source app to share! As soon as my project is launched, I will take a look!!! Thanks for the update and courage on all other things you do at the moment.

Anyone have tried this open source version recently??, i was able to start game, but when i load converted maps it get me no spanw zones error...

Anyone have tried this open source version recently??, i was able to start game, but when i load converted maps it get me no spanw zones error...
You have to add the spawn zone in the editor:
1. Open selected map in editor
2. Change mode to: entities edition
3. Change editing mode to: placing entities
4. Change entity type to: trigger
5. Change trigger class to: spawn zone
6. Put spawn zone in the desired area (by pressing and dragging)
7. Save the map and run it in the game :)

n_adult, Dear author, please give information about the current status of Your project. What are the prospects? What isn't over?
Very little information. I would like to do a more extensive review of the project for people who do not have the technical knowledge!

Back