Getting Started. Extract the tiles, entites and sprites etc.

To be more precise, BOS files are ZIP files.

The ones supplied on CD use no compression (though if you like you could compress them, I've tested this but it's rather moot since the compression is only worthwhile on the txt files and it slows down loading times).

red said:
To be more precise, BOS files are ZIP files.

The Micro-Forté guys said they used the rar format, but who cares as long as we can unpack them :D

Well, unless the RAR format respects the ZIP format (and since no compression is involved it would make them totally compatible), he was wrong.

I'll try and research the subject (when I remember about it...) I've tested ZIP compressed and uncompress files, but never any types RARs.

Kind of moot considering he's already unpacked it, but just thought I'd share...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// FALLOUT: TACTICS EDITOR TOOLKIT (17-MAY-2001)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

===============[Configuring Editors for General Use]===============

For the editors to work they require some resources to be extracted from the
data files for fallout tactics.

It is recommended you extract the contents of the following files:

tiles_0.bos
entities_0.bos
mis-main_0.bos

The easiest way to extract them is to use WinZip:

1) Launch WinZip
2) Drag-drop the .bos file from explorer into the WinZip window.
3) Type Ctrl+A to select all files
4) Press the extract button on the toolbar
5) A dialog should appear. Make sure use folder names is checked. Make sure
the output directory is the core folder inside your tactics install path.
6) Press extract.

If you repeat this process for each of the .bos files mentioned above, you
should now be able to access the tiles and entities and campaign from the
editors.

-from the Editor_readme.txt . Could be that they were RAR files, but the readme itself says the easiest way is by using ZIP, so whatever...

I've tried "decompressing" an uncompressed RAR with ZIP utilies and it doesn't work.

Just an FYI: WinZIP has never and as of writing still doesn't support RAR.

So the only "RAR" support still possible is that they used some kind of RARlab code which they licensed for the "file managment" of the BOS files. This, however, I find very unlikely since they use zlib to compress the character sprites, savegames and campaigns and conding file managments is a rather trivial task.

How to extract all NPC lines From Fallout Tactics BOS?

Hi, everyone! I was wondering if there is any way to extract the file with the NPC retorts and cues from the game. Not only those spoken by the important NPCs but also the random ones. Like, for example the things that a Raider says during a firefight.

Better call it just "Fallout Tactics". "Fallout Tactics: BOS" is easily misread as "Fallout BOS" and that "game" was "shite".

Ashmo said:
Better call it just "Fallout Tactics". "Fallout Tactics: BOS" is easily misread as "Fallout BOS" and that "game" was "shite".

As I can remember the full name of the game had BOS in the end. I didn't know there was a game called Fallout BOS - I'd like to see what's it like.
Anyway it seems to me no one knows how to extract the NPC lines. It's weird - it is a modding/hacking forum after all but well - I guess those NPC lines are hidden pretty well.

Radscorpion No7 858 202 said:
I didn't know there was a game called Fallout BOS - I'd like to see what's it like.

No, you wouldn't ;)

We shorten "Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel" to "Fallout Tactics" or just "Tactics" for clarity's sake. "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel" is a shitty mistake of nature you'd best remain oblivious of.

As for the texts, well, there aren't that many Tactics modders here... but I hope someone will show up to help you out...

If I recalll correctly, Tactics files could be renamed and opened with a zip utility... But I'm not certain about that, sorry.

As I can remember the full name of the game had BOS in the end.
They pretty much dropped the BOS bit by the time the game was released, about the only place you'll find it mentioned is in the read me, the EULA and really old websites. Both the intro movie and box art just say Fallout Tactics.

Anyway it seems to me no one knows how to extract the NPC lines. It's weird - it is a modding/hacking forum after all but well - I guess those NPC lines are hidden pretty well.
All the speech lines are available as normal text files, you just need to unpack them from the bos files. Open winzip and drag and drop a bos folder into the open winzip window then extract the text files as normal. They are in the files begining loc-mis and the locale_0.bos file. If you're going to be editing more than the text files you'll need to unpack most of the bos files, easiest way to do that is use the Booster from NMA's files section.

True, but Fallout Tictacs isnt good cause Craptics doesnt leave a good taste in your mouth, though admitidly certain skilled mission makers can make it almost worthwhile

requiem_for_a_starfury said:
All the speech lines are available as normal text files, you just need to unpack them from the bos files. Open winzip and drag and drop a bos folder into the open winzip window then extract the text files as normal.

Thank you, requiem_for_a_starfury. Your advice was very helpful. I found everything I needed. In those files are not only the NPC lines but also the voice acting files – cool! This forum rocks! :ok: :bow: :D :rockon:

FoT Editor Question

I extracted the .bos files with winrar, but for some reason when I use the level editor it can't find the tilesets, the FoT editor looks for .tse or the .mis files for missions. I've done the standard winrar extraction before in the past and it worked fine but I can't remember if I'm forgetting to do something or if there is a problem.

There are no tilesets unless you make them, but ignore that for now the tiles can be accessed by pressing F2 or clicking on 'Tiles' and then in the small window on the left you'll see a list of folders:

BOS
Generic
Wasteland

etc etc, open these up and you should find the tiles under the appropriate folders, walls, floors etc.

They don't show up when I'm on tiles. It's just a big black blank on the side bar. I extracted the files into a folder in the core directory and all but they just don't appear.

Then you didn't extract them properly you should just extract them to the core folder and it should create a subfolder called tiles with all the directories under that. I don't use Winrar but it should have an option to extract them keeping the directory structure intact.

Check in explorer you've probably got something like core\tiles\tiles and it should be just core\tiles and then the sub directories.

Back