Going to buy Fallout 2 - Anything I should know?

Vendayn

First time out of the vault
I've looked at youtube videos on it and stuff, and read about it (not too much, don't want to spoil anything) and it sounds really good. Its older, but I think I'll like it...I just started up Baldur's Gate (thats pretty old too) and I enjoy that.

I'm gonna pick Fallout 2 up tomorrow at the computer swap meet. Won't be able to get fallout 1, I almost never see it at the swap meet except once or twice a year. I have vista, but I'm pretty sure I can get it to work...might need some tweaks and stuff, but it looks like it will work on vista (from reading).

I did start with Fallout 3, which I did like a lot of things about it...but Fallout 2 looks really good too. I might even like fallout 2 more than fallout 3...even though its older.

So, anything I should know before I start up tomorrow?

You are in for a royal ride of awesome.

F2 is very big and more complicated than F3 (and 1).

Try not to look up walkthroughs and stuff - much more fun doing it the ol fasion way finding out for yourself.

Also, ideally you want to get your hands on F1 and play through that before you get to F2. :)

But TBH theres not a lot to say. You need to know this; You are going to play an awesome game, but its old, so be a little patient with it.

:)

Tycell said:
(...)You are in for a royal ride of awesome.(...)

Well said...ahhh...i wish i could play F2 again as if it were the first time...

I don't know if this is a good advice for someone who is going to play the game for the first time given that some people (myself included) prefer to experience the game as vanilla as possible before, in order to feel the difference later (it depends on what kind of gamer are you, i suppose) but you should install the official patch AND Killap's bug-fixing unnoficial patch (like the name states it just fixes bugs, nothing else...Warning: no to be confused with Killap's Restoration Project!!)

Enjoy!! :)

Hmm, might get fallout 1 too then.

What would I miss exactly (without too much spoilers) if I skipped fallout 1? Would I miss references or something? I know fallout games are sort of stand alone and don't really continue from the previous one (from what I heard).

I recommend playing Fallout 1 first.

FO 1 is a very good (but not very lengthy) game in itself, and starting with FO 1 also adds to your experience in FO 2 because you'll be more familiar with the setting. FO 2 is perfectly playable stand alone, but doing it after having played FO 1 is just nicer.

yup, you have got to play FO1 first, or it'll spoil a lot of things.

even just gameplay-wise you'll miss a lot of additions (inventory management, barter enhancements,...).

FO1 is also more "pure" & uniform in its setting and environment, whereas FO2 has a lot of things that don't totally fit (New Reno for instance).

Vendayn said:
Hmm, might get fallout 1 too then.

What would I miss exactly (without too much spoilers) if I skipped fallout 1? Would I miss references or something? I know fallout games are sort of stand alone and don't really continue from the previous one (from what I heard).

You would miss a lot, Fallout 2 continues on from Fallout 1, so if you skip straight to 2 you are going to ruin stuff for youself.

And yes, Fallout 1 is much more 'pure'. Also, you just cant miss seeing what proper super mutants are like, F3 destroyed my image of super mutants a little bit, in F1 and 2 they are better. :)

It would be nice to be able to play those old games for the first time again, and rediscover them.

according to Wiki, both fallout 1 (hmm I think fallout 1 too? says fallout 1.1 in the Wiki under the fallout 1 section)...and fallout 2 both have a 13 year limit. So I imagine thats a long time to do everything, and even my really slow game pace (all my games I accomplish everything really really slow) I'm sure I'll finish it in time (if not, its fun to play again anyway. Find new stuff I missed :)). So not really looking for help there...just a question...how many hours does it exactly (or aprox) take to reach the 13 year limit?

from what I read, I don't have to worry about it and I would have to try to get there...but just wondering how long that is. I tried looking for the answer, but my laptop is too slow so I wasn't able to look very long. Laptop is too old :| I really only use it for my writing (I'm a writer, nothing published yet...working on something that I hope does, though).

Hopefully the computer swap meet has both fallout 1 and 2...if not, I'll just buy fallout 1 from GOG. It sounds like I'll like both a lot. So I'll be able to play all three fallouts :) I still will play fallout 3, but only because I like playing with all the mods for it (which really improve it...would hate playing Fallout 3 without the mods). But fallout 1 and 2 deserve to be played unmodded...would feel kinda wrong to mod them, except for the unofficial patch for fallout 2, but thats not a mod.

I can think of only one instance where I personally met the 13 year limit. It was way after I'd beaten the game, I think (Fallout 2).

To reach a level 30 character, which requires a lot of monster killing in random encounters, near the end (or after), for that extra perk or hp or skill points, would not even take half of the 13 year old limit...so...plenty and plenty of time...I myself have never played beyond a one time lvl 32 character (and that took a freakin' lot of monster killings)...what would be the point?

And reggarding how many hours it would take you to reach the 13 year old limit...well, like i said above i have never reached it, and the longest run i made took me...ufff...(i'm a really slow player, like to check every little insignificant detail several times :P )...i don't know...something like 2 hours daily for 2 months or somesuch...

My suggestion is treat it like golf and play the ball where it lies. The fallout series is good about adjusting to your ideas and mistakes, so you will only discover the really crazy things the game will do if you dont try to be mr perfect. Also the more you worry about taking the right path, the more the game becomes stressful instead of fun.

rcorporon said:
It would be nice to be able to play those old games for the first time again, and rediscover them.

My memory is bad enough that I'm playing fallout 2 again and getting a lot of surprises.

if you loose the fun with F2 make sure to check out some of the Fallout 2 restoration projecst that add a lot to the game.

Crni Vuk said:
if you loose the fun with F2 make sure to check out some of the Fallout 2 restoration projecst that add a lot to the game.

:o Uffff....but that would take him a lot of time to happen (about 4 very long runs at the minimun), wouldn't you agree? :)

I think it would be wise to get the Fallout 2 restoration project from the start. Nice bugfree gaming 8-)

You can still be bugfree without all the extra content if you just use Killap's patch instead of his restoration project.
Using the RP on the first playthrough doesn't really seem right...

Actually, for the first playthrough, I'd say official patches and nothing more. Maybe even 1.0.

Back