Harsh winter fucks up Swedish transportation

MutantScalper said:
No but seriously, I wish the government of Sweden makes a serious mental note of all this and acts accordingly.

Hahahahaha! No...

We've had the same government almost continuously for over 50 years.

As I said before, the Left is blaming the Right for this, even though they've been in charge for so long. Building infrastructure takes time, usually more time than a political term. So why would anyone want to do that? It just costs tax money and you don't get any results before election day.

Swedish infrastructure is in such a poor state, no one wants to touch the issue.

whine whine whine.

A few days before Christmas, I had to wait for a train for an hour and a half outside, at -10. The buses were completely inoperational.

This being in the country's capital city. Don't get me started on shitty infrastructure and transportation networks. The people who designed them evidently never played SimCity.

Wooz said:
whine whine whine.

A few days before Christmas, I had to wait for a train for an hour and a half outside, at -10. The buses were completely inoperational.

This being in the country's capital city. Don't get me started on shitty infrastructure and transportation networks. The people who designed them evidently never played SimCity.
A few days before Christmas, I was stuck for 5 hours at the same train station, which happens to be the biggest train station in the Netherlands.

Seriously, victor, you're whining about absolutely trivial things.

Wooz said:
whine whine whine.

A few days before Christmas, I had to wait for a train for an hour and a half outside, at -10.

This being in the country's capital city.

we're in Stockholm, the capital city of Sweden. the most used and complex infrastructure in the country. and we're having temperatures under -20 degrees C. so I don't really see how your situation is worse.

Sander said:
Seriously, victor, you're whining about absolutely trivial things.

I agree that waiting for a bus for 8 minutes is trivial indeed, but the entire subway system above ground was shut down for 3 days. that's not trivial. it's a fucking tragedy. I didn't mind working from home for 3 days straight, but I'm sure as hell all the other thousands of people who had to spend hours upon hours getting to and from work by other means for 3 days did actually mind. like I said, not trivial.

Argh! The point wasn't the fucking 8 minutes! It was the three-bus convoy that had just left.

And seriously, Poland? Don't compare. I'm sick of people who whine about people who whine. Why don't I compare Stockhom's transportation issues to Mogadishu's, then? I guess that's fair, despire those two countries being at polar opposites of the fucking HDI scale. We pay huge taxes here (Stockholm having the highest), and have good salaries to start. We've gotten used to a certain standard of living due to that, so yeah, when this happens, I get to whine. The "inhabitants of country x have it a lot worse" argument is irrelevant and fallacious.

Sander, I haven't even really talked about the situation with trains. Most inter-city trains never arrived, and some were stuck in the middle of nowhere overnight. I'm just saying that there's little excuse to have transportation problems within a city, with its dense infrastructure.

Preliminary calculations of lost salary (aka tax money) for all the people that couldn't get to work is already in the hundreds of millions. If all this money had been invested in proper infrastructure instead, we wouldn't have the same problem next year.

You're not alone there... your lovely little neighbour Finland has the same problems, as if the trains and busses weren't already always late.

seriously people stop whining. In my part of uk we had about 3 cm of snow this year and everything went dead for a week. Most of public transport was cancelled. Most airports were shut down. 90% of people did not turn up to work.
Geez even poland ukraine and russia were dealing better with such situations :D (at least if i remember correctly)

Your over-exaggerating a wee bit there Rain.
No airports shut down though a lot of planes were cancelled.
Public transport still ran in a lot of areas and a lot of people were getting to work.
However as none of this was negative it wasn't in the news so isntead we just had reports of people being stuck on motorways.

well at least Bristol was dead... and its airport was closed and as far as i remember only heathrow was open just after xmass time.

but i wont complain much i just stayed at home got and still got paid while enjoyed doing doughnuts on supermarket carparks :D

Puokki said:
You're not alone there... your lovely little neighbour Finland has the same problems, as if the trains and busses weren't already always late.

Most of Finland is in the range of Soviet Russian Big Guns though, so it would stand to reason their busses would disperse for safety, not form convoys.

;)

Rain said:
seriously people stop whining. In my part of uk we had about 3 cm of snow this year and everything went dead for a week. Most of public transport was cancelled. Most airports were shut down. 90% of people did not turn up to work.
Geez even poland ukraine and russia were dealing better with such situations :D (at least if i remember correctly)

just shows how much whimps you are. 3 cm snow? that's nothing. total amount of snow that's fallen this winter is over 1 meter, probably close to 2 meters here in Stockholm. where they haven't done anything about the snow, it can easily be 50 cm deep.

1 inch = 2.54 cm

actually, this begs the question - why do you use "cm" when you live in the UK, Rain?

Well at least the swedish public transport system works when there is no snow. In Norway it has never worked at all, of course they are blaming the snow now, but that's just an excuse...

Nordic countries should be prepared for circumstances like this, countries like UK has little reason to be, so it's no point in comparing UK to Sweden.

aenemic said:
1 inch = 2.54 cm

actually, this begs the question - why do you use "cm" when you live in the UK, Rain?

UK is now officialy metric. The Measurements had outlived the Empire, but not by much.

I was just taking a jab that maybe "cm" means "cubic mongoload" or something. ;)

Dragula said:
It works in northern Sweden, we're used to the snow here.

There is no infrastructure in northern Sweden, though. And you can't say you have good trains, they're slower than cars.

victor said:
Dragula said:
It works in northern Sweden, we're used to the snow here.

There is no infrastructure in northern Sweden, though. And you can't say you have good trains, they're slower than cars.
"Right".
There is nothing wrong with the bus-traffic here. Though the train-tracks aren't even finished.

Back