Hoarding in Video Games

Idiotfool

Still Mildly Glowing
For some reason, in single-player games that allow for visual customization from equipment, I hoard all equipment in the game. I'm doing it, now, with New Vegas, but I've done it with Mass Effect, KotOR and many other games.

I always try to convince myself I'll do it for screenshots or something, but don't wind up taking all that many... and I do it with more than one character. Anybody else do this?

I used to hoard every item I find in a game, but Fallout broke me of that compulsion. Can't take everything, just take what you need.

With kotor it gets ridiculous because there is no limit to how much you can carry. By the time I'm near the end of either game it would take me roughly a minute to scroll from top to bottom of my inventory...

Well, there is a lot of "junk" in the game, I actually find myself more worried about not being overloaded with the items I find all the time rather than actually trying to find salvage for trade, etc. It's like if you went around the world trying to pick up every object that you come across. Video game cleptomania.

Diablo and Diablo 2 are the best loot-whoring games, town portals everywhere! :D

With Fallout I found a way around the loot-whoring and carry weight, I just use my companions as pack mules. :) I think with NPCMod (or some other thing?) that I have installed with my Fallout 1, it lets me steal off my companions without it affecting anything, so it's essentially the trading system from Fallout 2. This way I took everything from The Glow, the problem after that is there's nowhere to sell stuff and get the same value back in caps. :lol:

I keep a locker full of crap in Fallout NV. One of almost every single weapon. You never know, right? Could run out of ammo for the assault carbine, an old 10mm smg might come in handy. Of course, you never run out of ammo after a certain point...

I used to hoard a lot of random crap that I thought I might need to build stuff, but then I just wrote down the recipies I was interested in and after that I never picked up anything else than for example duct tape, wonderglue, wrenches, scrap metal and electronics. Though to be honest I was making way too much money with jury rigging to even need repair kits that often. It's funny how you can't repair a shotgun with another shotgun, same gauge but of poorer quality (not condition), but you can repair most helmets with cowboy hats... even power armor helmets IIRC.

I've got an area for weapons (melee and ranged separated), armors, aids (health and skillbooks separated) in my room at Novac.

Everything new that I get, I run back there to stash. In case I want to take screenies, I guess... I'm on Windows 7, though, and am unable to use console commands to get good shots, though, so it's all a waste of time...

Whenever I play an RPG that I like, I always turn into a compulsive hoarder. I just can't help it. Even in Fallout 1/2 by the end of the game I had a shitload of stuff I hadn't used.
"Oh damn, maybe I should take this along, you always need ammo and money and maybe I'll need it to solve a quest or or...."
At least I just hoard virtually, so I don't have piles of newspapers and hundreds of cats in my home.

I don't typically set out to hoard items in most games, though New Vegas makes me save things that could come in handy, things like dirty water, gecko meat and so on for when I get my Survival skill high enough to make something usefull out of them (Gecko Kebab is awesome). And every single unique weapon I find.

Fallout actually turned me into a hoarder: after not bringing enough rope with me to Vault 15 I decided I would never let anything potentially useful behind, ever. I have been trying to get in control of my compulsion ever since.

It's funny how such a small event can take so much effort to repair.

I tend to hoard ammo and perishable items, and keep at least a footlocker or something full of alternate armor/clothing.

In Fallout & FO2 I tended to take over a small centrally located map and use it as a hoarding base and convenient place to leave my extra companions.

In games like diablo 2, I have 3 or 4 accounts of just mules to hold stuff, although I should organize them better than I do.

in FO: NV I've limitted the hoarding to filling up the fridge in my novac hotel room with food items that are potentially useful, and a wardrobe full of clothing and armor.

All of the unique weapons I've found went in a locker or in boone's backpack after I lost a few due to EDE related troubles.

Currently at 359/210 carry weight in New Vegas, I popped a Stealth Boy and stole everything in the Van Graff's place.

Now I need a place to stash or sell it. :(

I usually dislike lots of stuff in my inventory. Like to "keep it real" and just carry the stuff with me which is REALLY needed, not some "this, and this, and that and that" etc. :) But in games like Planescape where you find lots of "unusual" items and dont know if you might need them later on in the game this is a nightmare for me. The whole inventory is full of this stuff and my companions cant hold anymore too...

Fallout 2 + strenght 7 + 5 companions + car trunk = STUFF! I'm serious hoarder in pretty much any game with an inventory.

Puokki said:
Fallout 2 + strenght 7 + 5 companions + car trunk = STUFF! I'm serious hoarder in pretty much any game with an inventory.
Hm, doesn't APA have a +4 strength bonus? And there's also the Red Memory Module which you can stack with that and put those points into something else.

5 Strength + APA = +4 Strength + Red Memory Module Upgrade = +1 Strength.

I'm not a hoarder for random junk items, but I am for ammo. I have that problem in every game, where you get alternate ammo's and all that. I always keep my big guns/big bullets in case of some really big thing I need it for, but that thing never shows up. So I'm always walking around with a small armory of high-damage weapons and ammo, but it never gets used because I couldn't stand to deplete my ammo cache for my X super gun, just in case there's ever something I really want/need to use it on.

I think I fired the BFG once in Doom 3, because I thought I'd need the ammo eventually. But the boss fights could be done without them.

I also cry a little inside everytime I find some ammo for the magnum in Half Life 2 and discover I already have full ammo for it.

Fallout 3 was too much for my hoarding adiction, I tried to collect every tin can and empty bootle but it's was fucking impossible.

In the end, I decided to just clear the vicinities and drop all tin cans and bottles of said areas at the nearest garbage can or nuka-cola box. That left the wasteland with hundreds of cans and boxes filled with trash.

In Dungeon Siege I tried to make a classic party (warrior, wizard, thief, etc), but in the end it was me and 6 loyal mules carrying loot.

I won't speak of Fallout 2 and Diablo 2, it's... it's... *Makenshi sobs, reminding the golden hoarding times that will never come back to gaming industry*

Very guilty of this habit. Even in New Vegas now I'm holding on to three or four different weapons and their respective ammunition (in hardcore mode) JUST IN CASE I need a change in strategy.

Course, that time never comes.

RPG's, especially ones with special one-use/situational items, really get me here.

Shooters, I never use the 'best' weapon until I find myself at a boss or some similar boss-like situation.

Back