Hoarding in Video Games

Hah, indeed ;)

What I meant to do was reflect what Dead Guy posted about conserving higher-end stuff that you can/should be using throughout the rest of the game, and at times not even use the biggest guns on the bosses either!

Terribly 'conservative' gamer!

You've never truly hoarded until you've played a technology character in Arcanum. You'll spend hours rummaging through trash bins for useful pieces of junk. :clap:

This is why I love the Gothic games. Bottomless inventories of weightlessness let me run around the landscape like a black hole, sucking in anything not nailed down or trying to kill me.

Sure, such inventories are unrealistic, but they're loads of fun, especially when you get philosophical about them. There's also an old adventure game called Bud Tucker In Double Trouble whose whole premise is based on the protagonist's inventory being bottomless. "I still can't find that elephant I put in there last week."

I am a hoarder in every game that offers the possibility. In Ultima Underworld I took over the Dwarf King's bedroom and made it into my personal junkyard... at least until the game saw how many items I had stashed in there, cried "NOOoooooo" and died on me with a fatal error. Fallout 2 has done that once or twice. Fallout 1 just doesn't have enough stuff to hoard properly, nor is it long enough to warrant it.

I think the absolute peak of hoarding was in Ultima 7. In Part 2 (Serpent Isle) there's a "Space Bridge" of sorts you can use to quickly travel across the game world. I used that as my personal living space. Dozens of chests full of all kinds of stuff. I even brought in furniture to try to make the place more comfortable, and made one "arm" of the place be a morgue. Oddly enough the game did not crash.

Hoxie said:
I'm not a hoarder for random junk items, but I am for ammo. I have that problem in every game, where you get alternate ammo's and all that. I always keep my big guns/big bullets in case of some really big thing I need it for, but that thing never shows up. So I'm always walking around with a small armory of high-damage weapons and ammo, but it never gets used because I couldn't stand to deplete my ammo cache for my X super gun, just in case there's ever something I really want/need to use it on.

What (s)he said.

I also hoard special items that "are probebly useful in a special sidequest" but then turn out to be "unused junk" at the end of the game.

UniversalWolf said:
You've never truly hoarded until you've played a technology character in Arcanum. You'll spend hours rummaging through trash bins for useful pieces of junk. :clap:

Indeed, also Arcanum had tons and tons of items i never actually needed but i still held on to it, such as ladies boots, watches or different suits...

[url=http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=415870#415870 said:
Per[/url]]
ddmj4.jpg

Pelia the rogue considers her next move.

verevoof said:
I used to hoard every item I find in a game, but Fallout broke me of that compulsion. Can't take everything, just take what you need.
Yeah take everything that you need/dont need travel to Vault City/Vault 13 and leave it there...
I always hoard...ALWAYS if there is something to be hoarded i do it...
Even in FPS games i always try to save ammo i always try to use the same weapons my enemies are using in order not lose ammo...
And im not even gonna talk about RPGS
Example, Fallout 3 and NV i always find every location i can clear out every dungeon and try to reach the level cap and i try to use only melee weapons as not to waste ammo and only when i start doing quests which is what i usually do last, not because i dont like them but because i like to complete everything first thats when i use guns...
I mean in FO2 i went from guard to guard in Vault City and picked everything i could of of them...
Its a compulsion really...one that im not very fond of,but i cant fight it -.-

also I horded quite a lot of usual junk in Baldurs Gate but that only because I feelt quite conected with the character imagining that he would keep it all as souvenirs after great quest and journeys

Ausdoerrt said:
Pelia the rogue considers her next move.

Looks like a par-teh.

per-teh :wink:

poor lizard. But he will recover.

I consider myself more of a bastard then a hoarder, sure I like to fill my inventory... but only with things I deem valuable enough to be worth the time.

Back