Homeless Man Bleeds to Death While People Watch

SimpleMinded said:
I'm curious why the woman he SAVED didn't call.

It's because she stabbed him! Conspiracy theories commence:

Grin said:
Here in the Netherlands, in Amsterdam, in broad f*cking daylight in the busiest shopping street in all of Amsterdam, on a Saturday, a women was first raped, then robbed, then forced to take money from an ATM, then raped again. And NO ONE SAW ANYTHING!?!
Wasn't there some dude beating up and stabbing his girlfriend a few years back, with almost a dozen people watching and doing nothing but a few calling the cops?

Only once a Moroccan youth (I think) moved in and kicked the attacker, some others moved in to help?

I'm not a fan of CCW myself and would likely never do it myself even if it was legal, but in allowing concealed carry firearms and training people appropriately, you could have someone that steps up quickly and decisively in such a situation.

I've seen some weird shit over the years (I used to walk through some of the rougher blocks in Antwerp to get to work), but never ever anything even remotely this bad.
Once included calling the cops after finding a women hit over the head with a bottle, but she was pretty ok, just bleeding from the gash in her scalp.

Nothing enrages me worse than such useless violence. If I'd have seen it happen, I'd have gotten involved (and might have gotten my ass kicked or even stabbed to death, but at least I would've tried).
Grin said:
Besides, he's Belgian.
Oi! I resent that!

You have to realize of course that not all that it is wrtitten in newspapers is accurate.

Maybe what happened was: drunk guy stabs drunk guy. He falls down, no one notices, someone -or the killer- takes a picture and doesn't see the blood. After that the reporters add the saved woman, and all the sadness...

I have absolutely nothing to lose, and would intervene only to fight to the death.

Then again, self-defense is often illegal in Sweden (a guy got one year in jail for hitting an armed and psychotic robber in the head, giving him a "lasting migraine"), so that could be a reason why people don't interfere in ongoing violence. I am of the opinion that "if you don't play by society's rules, you don't get to be protected by them". At least moderately, and in emergency situations.

SuAside said:
Grin said:
Here in the Netherlands, in Amsterdam, in broad f*cking daylight in the busiest shopping street in all of Amsterdam, on a Saturday, a women was first raped, then robbed, then forced to take money from an ATM, then raped again. And NO ONE SAW ANYTHING!?!

Wasn't there some dude beating up and stabbing his girlfriend a few years back, with almost a dozen people watching and doing nothing but a few calling the cops?

Yeah, I recall something like that happening in Rotterdam, where I live as well. Like I said, it's becoming more and more common.

SuAside said:
Grin said:
Besides, he's Belgian.

Oi! I resent that!
You silly Belgians. So nationalistic.

victor said:
Then again, self-defense is often illegal in Sweden (a guy got one year in jail for hitting an armed and psychotic robber in the head, giving him a "lasting migraine"), so that could be a reason why people don't interfere in ongoing violence. I am of the opinion that "if you don't play by society's rules, you don't get to be protected by them". At least moderately, and in emergency situations.

Ah, I see the justice system isn't laughable only in Holland.
It's amazing how a legal system can literally f*ck people who act to what seems like a natural and logical response, self-defense, assistance, etc.

victor said:
I have absolutely nothing to lose, and would intervene only to fight to the death.

I think it's peculiar that everyone who I debate with on this subject, agrees with intervention or help. Literally everyone. You'd think that if people have such a strong opinion about this, then these situations wouldn't occur in the first place.

I guess a lot of people are full of shit.

Grin said:
Yeah, I recall something like that happening in Rotterdam, where I live as well. Like I said, it's becoming more and more common.
Is it? Or is it just getting more attention when it happens?
Grin said:
It's amazing how a legal system can literally f*ck people who act to what seems like a natural and logical response, self-defense, assistance, etc.
Yes. Because obviously laws against vigilantism are a bad thing.

Grin said:
I think it's peculiar that everyone who I debate with on this subject, agrees with intervention or help. Literally everyone. You'd think that if people have such a strong opinion about this, then these situations wouldn't occur in the first place.
It's a lot easier to say you'll intervene than to actually intervene.

Sander said:

I despise this idea. I despise people who hide behind this. The shock of experiencing it is one thing, but forgiving yourself for this level of apathy is unforgivable.

))<>(( said:
Sander said:

I despise this idea. I despise people who hide behind this. The shock of experiencing it is one thing, but forgiving yourself for this level of apathy is unforgivable.
I don't think it's fair to make that judgement until you've been in the situation yourself.

I have. I'm sure numerous people have been in situations like this that involved the well being of another person.

I mean exactly what are you saying? I know you are trying to convey that unexpected and stressful situations can cause people not to be involved, but I don't understand the fact that this extreme of suffering that can be easily avoided by calling for help would be so difficult.

Or maybe peoples need to use their new G3's and Iphones are so powerful that they cannot overcome them.

Though at the same time, the man was probably dead by the time people noticed him, and expected the body to be cleaned up soon.

You're walking through a shopping center.

A nearby man starts to gasp and clutch his chest, then collapses

A few stop and stare, but most ignore him and simply walk on by.

This man has gone into cardiac arrest, and is going to die if he isn't helped.

You rush to his aid and perform CPR, saving his life, while instructing one of the gawkers to call 911.

The paramedics arrive, and carry him away. You're a hero.

The next day you get a call from an attorney, informing you that the man had severely injured his spinal cord during the fall, and your life-saving CPR ended up breaking it; paralyzing him.

He's now suing you.

That's the kind of shit that can happen when you're an upstanding citizen. You're better off just dialing 911 and walking away as if nothing had happened.

So, I should not do the right thing on account that there is a possibility than the man might sue me?

I'm not going to live in fear, sorry.

I expect the unexpected rather than expect the worst.

Anyways, this is fucking up my nutmeg trip. I'm going to go on my balcony and smoke some pot.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:

You rush to his aid and perform CPR, saving his life, while instructing one of the gawkers to call 911.

The next day you get a call from an attorney, informing you that the man had severely injured his spinal cord during the fall, and your life-saving CPR ended up breaking it; paralyzing him.

He's now suing you.

That's the kind of shit that can happen when you're an upstanding citizen. You're better off just dialing 911 and walking away as if nothing had happened.

Men, you have a really fuck up society in your country

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:

He's now suing you.

Hah, it's sad, yet true.

I've heard of a robber breaking into someone's house, slipping on their hardwood or tripping over their stairs or something and hurting himself, and suing the homeowners for damages.

I'm pretty sure he won too.

Sander said:
Grin said:
Is it? Or is it just getting more attention when it happens?

Is it? Or does it just happen more often?

Sander said:
Grin said:
Yes. Because obviously laws against vigilantism are a bad thing.

Laws against vigilantism is one thing, putting a man in jail for trying defend himself against a robber is another.

There's a good quote for this, can't remember the source:
There's no justice, there's only law.

Sander said:
Grin said:

Agreed. But they seem so adamant about it.

Grin said:
Is it? Or does it just happen more often?
I wouldn't say so, no. And I have no real reason to believe it happens more often either.

Grin said:
Laws against vigilantism is one thing, putting a man in jail for trying defend himself against a robber is another.
Oh really? So where do you draw the line? Are you allowed to shoot somebody who just robbed you? Are you allowed to attack someone who robbed you and is running away?
It's easy to criticise these laws, but it's a lot harder to actually come up with laws that do work.

Back