How Do I Not Suck at FO1&2

supermarket

First time out of the vault
I tried playing FO2 a year ago but after ten hours i felt like was barely stronger than when i started so i took a break. Im going to try again, im just looking for tips on how to build a strong character. My current plan is to focus on agility and endurance.

Also would i gain anything from playing fo1 first? I usually see fo2 listed as better so im more interested in it but if that is dumb please tell me.

Sorry i am so new.

Playing Fallout 1 would probably help in the long haul if you plan on playing both games. Playing the first Fallout helps you get prepared for what to expect in Fallout 2, and I think FO2 overall is probably the harder game. Focusing on agility helps, having action points is an absolute necessity to do well in Fallout, for simplicity i'd recommend just going with 10 right off the bat. Your character will feel pretty weak early on, and it takes awhile to really start to get used to the game. Getting a set of power armor helps, and focusing on one weapon skill is usually the best route to go for me. Don't be afraid to run away from fights either, there's really no penalty other than not getting some loot/xp, and save very often with multiple slots. Haven't played either of the games in awhile and this is just from my experience. I'd recommend checking out this if you really need a thorough guide to help you get started, it's not a necessity but I think this is considered the best one out there. https://fallout.gamepedia.com/The_Nearly_Ultimate_Fallout_2_Guide

agility is good, intelligence is good, endurance is not very good because lifegiver is a perk you can take that's as good as like +8endurance, and saving frequently helps more than putting all your points in endurance anyways. charisma is probably actually not as good for making people like you as intelligence+speech is/are. strength is really important as far as minimum you need to do things. perception is only good if you want to shoot guys who are 20+ squares away, which isn't always the situation you're in, but when you're in it, it's nice, and it locks a few key perks behind it. luck is good, but only for the perks really.

also you don't really get that much stronger, you can beat fallout1/2 in like 10-20minutes just by knowing where the ending is and walking straight there, picking up endgame gear from right next to it. fallout2 has a very slow paced start, and it takes quite a while to get a gun, and then even longer to start being able to get cool guns. in fallout1 that entire part of the game the pre-gun phase is left out, you just start in fo1 about where you get after 5-10hours (of unspoiled slow play) in fo2.

I recommend playing F1 first as it is significantly easier, especially in terms of combat.

Start with Gifted and Small Frame traits and allocate the following stats:
Agility: 10 - required to get 10 Action Points
Intelligence: 9-10 to offset the skill point penalty of Gifted.
Perception: 8 - required for Sniper perk
Strength: 4 is sufficient because the Power Armor increases strength by 3 or 4.
Charisma: dump stat
Luck: at least 6 to get perks related to critical hits
Endurance: whatever is left

Your max carry weight will be very low so it is vital to recruit a companion early on.

Tag Small Guns, Energy Weapons (can be skipped if you are playing F2) and a third skill of your choice.

As you level up take Awareness, More Criticals, Better Criticals, Bonus Rate of Fire, Sniper perks.

With those perks and a high-end weapon you'll be scoring 2 hits in the eyes every turn, many of them critical. This means 2 kills every turn.

Also, go way above 100 on your primary skills. Keep raising them until you have a 95% chance to hit someone in the eyes at medium distance. And starting with fallout 1 is best for both story and difficulty (balance included). F2 can be a real pain in the ass at first, and throughout the whole game i've found everything is usually either too hard or too easy.

Sorry i am so new.
Faith in future generations: Restored :salute: :ok:

I'm not good at Fallout 1, but if you decide to push on in Fallout 2:
I recommend a simple melee build for a first run. This will give you the quickest benefits early on and enable you to get a feel for the game the way you planned it (agility and endurance).
Traits: Gifted

Strength: 8
Perception: 6
Endurance: 10
Charisma: 2
Intelligence: 6
Agility: 10
Luck: 5

Tag skills: Unarmed, Melee Weapons, Sneak
Unarmed and Melee Weapons increase your chance to hit with punches/kicks and knives/spears/hammers, respectively. Strength affects your melee damage.
High Sneak helps you get closer to enemies undetected, giving you first strike (later becomes only strike). Helps against ranged attackers.

If you like playing the game with these stats, you should be able to beat it. And if you then want to replay it with a different build, you should refer to ranged pr0 builds before and after my post. They are well worth it.

Random tips:
You will start to feel the benefits of any build around levels 5-8. In the beginning, try and stick to quests to gain XP and level up those tagged skills.

Press 1 to activate Sneak mode. When about to move, hold SHIFT to prevent running, or you will break Sneak mode. Later there is a sneak-run perk.
Press A to activate Combat mode. SPACE ends your turn. ENTER tries to end combat; won't work if aware enemies are nearby.
If you wish to disengage from a battle, after you run far away enough from enemies without exhausting all your action points (so it's still your turn), press 1 to sneak and try ENTER to end combat. Having a high sneak and a lot of action points (this build) greatly helps when you want to flee an undesired encounter.
Press B to quick swap between your 2 active inventory slots. If empty, you will swap between punch and kick.
The Speech skill, while commonly overrated, is much more useful and fun than it is in newer "Fallouts".

If you are running an unpatched game, you probably barely get any random encounters while traveling on the world map. Personally, I use only the mod http://www.nma-fallout.com/resource...ct-unofficial-expansion-windows-installer.10/, but perhaps others will be able to recommend a smaller single patch that's more true to the original while fixing issues and adjusting the game for modern PCs.

PM me if you can video-stream =)

Back