How do you deal with the disappointment that being a Fallout fan brings?

Vault Dweller Donny

Explorer of the wastes
As someone who loves classic Fallout and New Vegas, I feel a deep melancholy, I want more but its unlikely we will ever see a true sequel to the west coast Fallouts, New Vegas was great but was a fraction of what Van Buren could have been, and as the years go by it seems more and more unlikely that Bethesda will allow another developer to make a fallout game.

For me personally, I stopped coping for the hope of a new good official Fallout game and started looking more towards the community. When you learn to let go of that misguided hope for a good new game amongst a bleak future, you'll see there are gems to be found all over. And hell, if a new good game DOES eventually come out, it will be even better since you didn't expect it.
Start looking more to the community, total conversion mods in development, fan fiction to read, write your own setting, start interesting discussions on here. I found that creativity is the best outlet for satiating that want for Fallout content. I may not be the greatest writer or world builder, but I still throw my hat in the ring.
And lastly, just remember that "canon" means nothing. Bethesda can make a million Fallout games, shows, movies, etc. and call them "canon" with Reddit behind their backs touting that word in your face. But no matter how bad Bethesda handles the series, it can't possibly take away from Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas because those games are still good as-is. You can dislike the changes to the franchise on a core level like a lot of us do, but don't let it sour your enjoyment of things that are good. For me, "canon" means Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas much like you said you enjoy, and no one can tell me otherwise.

Last edited:
Classic Fallout games have been my favourite PC games since Fallout 1 was released.

What I do is, I don't expect another classic Fallout game to be released. Instead, I play all the Fallout 2 total conversion projects that get released to get my "fix".

Otherwise, I play other games, preferably turn-based RPG games.

There are tons of other games to play, and when you're as old as I am (or older), you get used to seeing stuff you like/love disappear. Not only in games but in everything else, you're forced to adapt whether you want to or not.

Last edited:
Diagnosis: Old Fallout Blues

There is an expression in the Wasteland: "Old World Blues."
It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is.
They stare into the what-was, eyes like pilot lights, guttering and spent, as the realities of their world continue on around them.
In the times following the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, however, Old World Blues took on a new meaning.
Where once it was viewed as a form of sadness, nostalgia, it became an expression describing the potential for the future.

I'd say that the classic Fallout fans were in the worse position when New Vegas released than they are today.

Since it released, 5 FO2 fan games came out. 2 more are in progress.
Several mods that expand/fix the classic games like the Et Tu, Restoration Project, Megamod, Oblivion Lost and Wasteland Merc.

2 separate projects to remake Van Buren in 2 different engines.

A dozen of high quality expansion mods for New Vegas, plus several additional ones with smaller scope. There's like 6 more that might come out or not. Another Van Buren project, but in NV engine.

Not to mention many games that were clearly inspired by the Fallout- Underrail, ATOMs, Age of Decadence, Colony Ship, Space Wreck.

I'm not disappointed. I'm glad I even got the chance to experience this fantastic franchise. Sure, I'd love to get more sequels and Fallout getting the proper treatment it deserves, but I've accepted that it won't happen. Like in real life, sometimes- you just have to let things go. Not everything lasts forever; that's okay, be glad it happened.
On the bright side, our small and thriving community lives on; fan projects are still being made; my favourite is probably the Hearts of Iron IV mod Old World Blues. It shows a vision of the true Fallout world we could've gotten.

Last edited:
I get your point, but OG Fallout is still around, they didn't destroy the ability to play them. It's legacy is tarnished, but the work of art itself is preserved.
Yes they did; in similar way that the 90's TMNT cartoon ruined the fandom of the original Mirage comics... Just consider what "ninja turtles" means now (after the damage); it's slang for small kids, and the toys that amuse them. Imagine the embarrassment of a teen (or young adult) whose longtime hobby suddenly means (to nearly all) something associated with toddlers. They poisoned the well.

Last edited:
Yes they did; in similar way that the 90's TMNT cartoon ruined the fandom of the original Mirage comics... Just consider what "ninja turtles" means now (after the damage); it's slang for small kids, and the toys that amuse them. Imagine the embarrassment of a teen (or young adult) whose longtime hobby suddenly means (to nearly all) something associated with toddlers. They poisoned the well.

That doesn’t make the original Mirage comics and less better as its own thing, nor does it remove the ability to read and enjoy them. Similarly you can still buy, play, and enjoy Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas. The argument wasn’t that Fallout’s legacy isn’t ruined or the IP isn’t associated more with Bethesda now, just that it doesn’t take away the ability to interact and enjoy the originals.

Fallout is no longer Fallout on some very fundamental levels, and this upcoming Amazon show will make this worse. The fact that the original game still runs does not alleviate the problem, nor the insult done. There are people who play the games yearly (or more frequent than that). Playing the game after there are no more surprises, and no future developments is a bit soul-crushing.

[Writing sadly put aside...] The name and setting no longer mean anything remotely similar; the dev's and the majority of the fanbase are openly derisive of the series' proper gameplay.

*IIRC... Bethesda has also censored the currently available retail games [1&2].

Last edited:
The fact that the original game still runs does not alleviate the problem, nor the insult done.

You’re misinterpreting the point above, we know Fallout is fundamentally irreparable. We’re not saying the originals being available fixes the franchise’s problems, merely that those games can still be played and enjoyed on their own merits.

*IIRC... Bethesda has also censored the currently available retail games [1&2].

That’s news to me, what did they censor?

Last edited:
I thank you all for your welcoming words. I have been a Fallout fan for much of my life and I am a bit younger, in my early 20s so I went back and sought out the classics after getting new vegas when it came out, I am trying to learn more and be more involved in the Fallout community

I guess I'm not as die hard as some here. I was very happy with Atom RPG and hope for more games in the same vein. There's my hope for the genre rather than Fallout in particular.

I enjoyed FO3 for one reasonably thorough run but doubt I'll play again. I could not even finish FO4 but did enjoy it for what it was. I figure Bethesda is incapable of crafting truly brilliant games.

Back