How would you write a west coast fallout after the events of the TV show?

Tiny Tim

Still Mildly Glowing
You're a writer at Obsidian and microsoft says "hey, make another fallout for us". How do you deal with the terrible lore of the TV show? Do you ignore it? Do you undermine its significance, like some fans do? (ie NCR is fine, they just lost shady sands, all the other settlemets are there and we just didn't hear about them). Do you acknowledge it and just write a story set after a second apocalypse, with new factions and settlements rising in the ruins of the lore of fallout 1/2? Do you script doctor the show's events (for example maybe ncr fell during a war with brotherhood remnants). Do you quit your job?

Obviously you could safely ignore some stuff like who dropped the bombs (new vegas ignored aliens lore quite successfully) but i don't see how you could deal with the post war stuff.

Simple, I wouldn’t.

That or told bugthesda to suck a knob, ignore all the shit they wrote/made and featured dead protagonists from 3,4,76 and the TV as a cameo just for good measure.

Burn it all to the ground and start fresh basically

I’d say Vault-Tec and the Enclave nuked each other, the Brotherhood got nuked too so it’s back to just a single Lost Hills chapter, the NCR reformed and decided to move their capital back to the original Shady Sands. Not sure what else needs to be nuked to get us back to normal. I’d also say the east coast brotherhood got nuked so we wouldn’t have to deal with them ever again.

And I’d laugh at all the people saying “you can’t just decide to nuke everything to get the setting back to where you want it, that’s bad writing!”

I’d say Vault-Tec and the Enclave nuked each other, the Brotherhood got nuked too so it’s back to just a single Lost Hills chapter, the NCR reformed and decided to move their capital back to the original Shady Sands. Not sure what else needs to be nuked to get us back to normal. I’d also say the east coast brotherhood got nuked so we wouldn’t have to deal with them ever again.

And I’d laugh at all the people saying “you can’t just decide to nuke everything to get the setting back to where you want it, that’s bad writing!”
Also, nuke Hoover Dam!

I'd ignore it for the most part. I'd maybe use a character or two from the show because there are fans of it and it would be cool for them but beyond that I'd probably mostly do my own thing adjacent to NCR territory.

All human factions, ghouls and Supermutants get the nuke and Fallout gets rebooted as tactical mech war between Nuka Cola and Sunset Sarsaparilla robots.

I personally feel like we need more information as to what actually happened in the show to even acknoweldge it. The NCR fell in the show because that guy's wife left him to the best of my understanding, AND also because of the genius plot to control the world by managing people in Vaults as they best see fit and by "outliving the competition". But what do the NCR Remnants think happen? Do they all know? I'm guessing Moldaver does, but does like, the Brotherhood know? What was the Brotherhood doing there anyway? I would ask Todd Howard or whoever is responsible what the plot idea was, if anything. And then i wouldn't ignore it. I would try my best to acknowledge and script doctor it. If the NCR really still exists (which in the show it clearly doesn't) that should be all they talk about.

That's hilarious.

Back