Hunting Rifle Suddenly Fireing Plasma Rounds

TheOverseer

First time out of the vault
I joined this forum as I can't find ANYWHERE on the net about this.

I was getting repeatedly killed by Fire Geckos last night as Boone was stuck up a mountain I had slid down.

So I waited until he came running to my spawn point and went to attack the pack of FG's.

I had a hunting rifle and Boone had a plasma rifle.

I was shooting this one FG in the head when it suddenly turned into a pile of plasma goo. I assumed at that point that Boone, who was fighting some other FG's had stolen my kill even though he was quite a distance away but thought nothing more of it.

Anyway, the next time I started shooting some critter or other I noticed plasma shots coming out of my Hunting rilfe and when I went into the PIPBOY the hunting rifle now has MS Cells or whatever the Plasma Rifle has as its ammo?!?!?!?

It's not modded and it doesn't have a unique name. I did however pick it up off a Khan leader hiding in the caves South East of the Search light airport.

Anyone else found this gun or is it (as I suspect) a glitch/bug?

It's not a brilliant gun or anything, it's not super powered, its just a hunting rifle that shoots plasma rounds? :crazy:

Hahaha, that's exactly the sort of thing I always say.

However, in this circumstance, I don't care who beleives me, I just want to know if anyone else has had it or can explain it?

The people who haven't experienced it don't matter as I'm not telling you it happened, I'm asking why it happened. :D

The Free version of FRAPS (limited video length) would be a good tool to show this to us.
Then either upload to YouTube or grab a screenshot from the video.

Why use FRAPS? Hit printscreen and the screenshot(in .bmp format) gets saved in your main New Vegas folder.

Video mode. So that he can pause it and grab a screen from that, rather than trying to fire and hit prt-scr and hoping to catch a good shot of it.

I'll video it on my cam corder and whack it on YouTube then.

Just to point out though, this issue is on the XBox 360 so there has been no modding going on here.

I'll post the link here when its up.

Has the switch happened for all guns, or just the hunting rifle? What happens if you use an energy weapon? Try Vats to see if there's a difference in % hit chance for a targetted shot between a real energy weapon and your hunting rifle.

Try a new game; you get the hunting rifle really early and it would be a good way to see if it's just your save or if it's the game itself. I suspect it's the save and is only limited to that one equipped item, but I have no idea how the plasma rifle sounds and effects would have overwritten your hunting rifle.

If changing weapons fixes it, cool, the game probably thought you had a plasma rifle equipped for some reason. If not, then I dunno how you feel about melting enemies with a lighter weapon with easy to find ammo...

Yeah, thanks, I haven't checked any others as I only had Hunting Rifle, 9mm Sub Machine Gun and Chances Knife in my list at the time.

I do know that the Hunting Rifle still sounded like a Hunting Rifle and the Zap you get with the Plasma rifle wasn't there either. It was only when the round hit the target that it was green and in the pip boy the ammo type was MF Cell.

I plan on having a few hours go tonight so I'll try and video it.

I don't mind it that much as I quite like strange stuff like that.

I think this highlights instability in the game tho. (I love the entrie Fallout series tho so I'll forgive anything).

Back