I miss you, Fallout

Jesus, Fallout 3 was HORRIBLE. Seriously. The whole plot of the thing makes no goddamn sense at all. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I don't like Fallout 4 for many, many reasons, but c'mon, it is a better plot.
Seriously, can an RPG get worse than this?
I disagree. Fallout 4 has the *potential* to have a better plot. The setting and factions could have made for a better plot. But the actual plot as it is written is definitely not better than Fallout 3 in my opinion.

Fallout 3 had actual dialog choices, that alone makes it a better RPG than F4 IMO.

You ask, "Can it get worse than this?" and the answer is "Yes, it's called Fallout 4."

Fallout 3 looked like a labor of love compared to Fallout 4 which looks half-assed and rushed. And considering It was 7 years between those two games I still can't believe I'm sitting here having to say that F4 looks rushed. It's unacceptable from a studio that big to put out a game this unpolished.

Last edited:
Worse... They don't want to change it, because there is more money in it the way they intentionally designed it to be. They are not stupid people.

Debatable.

If they were, they could never manage what they've already released. As much as I don't approve of Bethesda's FO titles, and some aspects of their TES games... They are still [to me] each quite impressive technical works on their own.

The point is, they don't want to learn.
Worse... They don't want to change it, because there is more money in it the way they intentionally designed it to be. They are not stupid people, but that's their minimum target ~is it not?

"This game is huge, but it's not just this launch," Howard said.
"It's going to be well deep into next year. It's like the game is done [does air quotes] but it's not done, because until everybody plays it, it's not really done.
Because what they bring to it is really important; we're going to see what people like, what they want more of, what they want different, and we're going to do that."
Howard added: "Our fans are amazing; they're super-smart. This is important to them, just like it is to us."

"Since we're still hard at work on the game, we don't know what the actual DLC will be yet, but it will start coming early next year.(...)"

Minimum.

Edit: And actually, yes, it's worse than I said. They learn, just not in the way most people think.

Last edited:
Worse... They don't want to change it, because there is more money in it the way they intentionally designed it to be. They are not stupid people.

Debatable.

If they were, they could never manage what they've already released. As much as I don't approve of Bethesda's FO titles, and some aspects of their TES games... They are still [to me] each quite impressive technical works on their own.

I have the highest respect for their Concept Artists and Marketing department. They both really are doing exceptional jobs out there, at least in my opinion.

But anything else that I have seen either from Oblivion, Skyrim or Fallout 3, was mediocre at best, outright disapointing at worst. Particularly Oblivion and Fallout 3 have been in many ways not so ... impressive. Like I said, in my opinion. So I am a bit surprised that you feel impressed, but hey! Each to his own I guess :grin:

Edit: And actually, yes, it's worse than I said. They learn, just not in the way most people think.

Precisely.
sadvaultboy.gif

So I am a bit surprised that you feel impressed, but hey! Each to his own I guess
icon_biggrin.gif
Impressed doesn't imply admiration, but credit where credit is due. FO3 is a terrible Fallout sequel, in the same way that Transformers is terrible... Priorities, and a lack of respect for the source material. Both use their IPs as garnish for an unappetizing main course. It's like being served Tofu at a steak house; it doesn't matter how well it's presented, it can never be right, because of what it intrinsically is.

Last edited:
Every single goddamn part of the final quest is a doom-like level. Against Synths, against Gunners, against robots, against turrets. There's only ONE part that gave me a glimpse of a role playing game:

I was playing as a Railroad, so the bombing of the BoS zeppelin was fun. Disguise yourself, pass a couple of speech checks... Very barebone, but it was an oasis of decent play in the middle of Quake.

Doom easily has the best level design of any videogame I've played in the last 25 years, and I've played Quake and its series for longer than I've played Fallout. I don't know if 25 years down the road I'll have similarly complimentary things to say about Fallout 4.

Every single goddamn part of the final quest is a doom-like level. Against Synths, against Gunners, against robots, against turrets. There's only ONE part that gave me a glimpse of a role playing game:

I was playing as a Railroad, so the bombing of the BoS zeppelin was fun. Disguise yourself, pass a couple of speech checks... Very barebone, but it was an oasis of decent play in the middle of Quake.

Doom easily has the best level design of any videogame I've played in the last 25 years, and I've played Quake and its series for longer than I've played Fallout. I don't know if 25 years down the road I'll have similarly complimentary things to say about Fallout 4.

WOAjM.jpg

I take your point, sir.

In my disappointment, I used doom-like as a pejorative thing, only in the sense that it's not what I want out of Fallout game.

It's a BAD doom-like, I suppose, in those levels.

I take your point, sir.

In my disappointment, I used doom-like as a pejorative thing, only in the sense that it's not what I want out of Fallout game.

It's a BAD doom-like, I suppose, in those levels.

Oh it's very bad, boring and limited.

That level design picture is so sad but so true.

I never understood this fetish for achievements though. Achievements for starting the game? To show that you finished the first mission? Urgh ... :ugly:
If at least they were honest.

Each game should only have one big achievement, which is the one that gets unlocked once you've played past the limit to get your refund.

It is, after all, the only one they truly care about.

Achievement remover mods are something I tend to use when they exist for a game.

I have nothing against achievements, though nothing for them either. I just ignore the whole thing, pretty much, but I doesn't disturb me except when it pops up right in the middle of a game, but then I tend to disable Steam Overlay anyways...

I think the best way to deal with fallout 4 is to not play it, ive done that and I feel a lot less salty/pissed off. Having way more memorable moments playing wasteland 2 and ark survival

Achievement remover mods are something I tend to use when they exist for a game.

I have nothing against achievements, though nothing for them either. I just ignore the whole thing, pretty much, but I doesn't disturb me except when it pops up right in the middle of a game, but then I tend to disable Steam Overlay anyways...
I disable Steam ~when I can; the overlay is always disabled. I'll use Steam keys if it's the only option; ones that I've gotten from the developers, or via Humble Bundle; but I actively avoid buying from Steam directly and don't care about their Steam sales; (I'd pay more to get it from GoG).

Back