If you owned the Fallout IP...

Millim

Venerable Relic of the Wastes
Orderite
[REDACTED]
...what business decisions would you make?
How would you make future games (would you go back to an isometric viewpoint, will you keep it FPS?)
What developers would you liscence the IP out to?

Personally, I would go back to an Isometric style, count 3 and 4 as non-canon.

I would continue from Fallout 2 with my own Fallout 3 (possibly have to be renamed to avoid confusion).

However, I would say, if you want to follow the Bethesda canon, you can. But these games will divert from said canon (not saying I don't like the Bethesda games, they just have lack luster stories for a fallout series.

I would then liscence the IP out to InXile and Obsidian for Spin-Off games.

I'd sell it to Obsidian for a token amount, since I don't own a developer studio and wouldn't be able to do anything useful with it myself.

And even if I did have a studio, I would probably have no idea how to develop it without completely fucking it up, so I would sell it to Obsidian too.

But not before dropping into RPGCodex, saying "Hi! I'm the new owner of the Fallout series" and watch as the varying degrees of responses flow in, for my entertainment.

Reactions: DVL
I'd turn it into a Borderlands/Far Cry clone filled with procedurally generated dialogue and quests that make you go back to the same locations over and over in order to kill everything, loot everything, and then return home. I'd also make sure to have the worst voice acting and quests possible. Also, Freezing Flamers everywhere.

I'd sell it for shitload of money to the highest bidder, buy me a Ferrari, lots of booze, drugs and hookers.

Use it to develop games, many games, enough to start increasing profits. Then I'll have that money go towards building a time machine to go back and time to stop Skynet from taking over the world!

Use it to develop games, many games, enough to start increasing profits. Then I'll have that money go towards building a time machine to go back and time to stop Skynet from taking over the world!

Yeah... umm games don't actually make that much money. You'll need the budget of a country, big bank or big business man.

Yeah... umm games don't actually make that much money. You'll need the budget of a country, big bank or big business man.

Electronic Arts are bigger than certain gun companies. Entertainment is a big industry, it will definitely make enough money. The problem is the only way you're going to make enough money is if you make a really good game and support it all the way or nickel-and-dime EA-style for all the free-flowing quick cash.

And if you take part in the latter, well...

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

Electronic Arts are bigger than certain gun companies. Entertainment is a big industry, it will definitely make enough money. The problem is the only way you're going to make enough money is if you make a really good game and support it all the way or nickel-and-dime EA-style for all the free-flowing quick cash.

And if you take part in the latter, well...

Still not enough to be able to make a time machine. The budget for that would be bloody enormous.

Still not enough to be able to make a time machine. The budget for that would be bloody enormous.

All one needs is enough radiation, because in the world of Fallout radiation is... MAGIC. That or just find a portal somewhere in the wastes and you will be back in time and get a Solar Scorcher :dance:.

In order:

- Declare Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 as non-canon. New Vegas stays canon.
- Hire Obsidian and inXile to work together on the game. Feargus Urquhart, Tim Cain, Chris Avellone, Joshua Sawyer, Brian Fargo, these are my five key men.

Key goals:

- The game works as a first person-to-isometric third person camera with dicerolling comat. With the press of a button, the entire camera switches between the different perspectives, pausing the game, and giving you a bigger picture of the area. Optionally, when using VATS in first person, the camera switches to the traditional isometric view as you see your enemy torn to shreds.
- Combat uses a dice rolling system, like the original Fallouts. This dicerolling combat is accurately represented with first person animations. When rolling a critical miss, you can see your weapon exploding in your face.
- Powerful items are rare, and unbalanced.
- Delevelled world.
- Can join multiple factions, even evil factions as could be raiders.
- The different factions have different goals. They may conflict with each other in certain parts of the questlines.
- The game is set after New Vegas. The Brotherhood of Steel doesn't make an appearance in the game. Neither do the Super Mutants, or Enclave. It's time for new things.

The name of the game: Fallout: Rebuilt.

The name of the game: Fallout: Rebuilt.

Specifically about the name and not about the other things you mentioned - Rebuilt's like Revelations or Resurrection in that it's a cool name to put at the end of the title but it doesn't really do anything to inform people about the game.

I would prefer, no matter how a future Fallout game by Obsidian turns out, that they stick to either Fallout: [Insert Name Of Setting] for consistency, or Fallout: [Insert Name Of Faction] even if the first Fallout to use that title was unbelievably bad, or anything else that's unique and signature to either the specific game or the series as a whole.

Specifically about the name and not about the other things you mentioned - Rebuilt's like Revelations or Resurrection in that it's a cool name to put at the end of the title but it doesn't really do anything to inform people about the game.

I would prefer, no matter how a future Fallout game by Obsidian turns out, that they stick to either Fallout: [Insert Name Of Setting] for consistency, or Fallout: [Insert Name Of Faction] even if the first Fallout to use that title was unbelievably bad, or anything else that's unique and signature to either the specific game or the series as a whole.

I picked the title if only as a big "fuck you" to Bethesda. They destroyed the franchise in more than one way, the first being the obvious one, the second by making Fallout being about a constant state of "everything is still shit despite 200 years", so the game's setting shifted focus from "total destruction" to "things are actually getting good/are good right now".

In other words, it's a double meaning: it's about rebuilding the franchise to what it was, and giving the player a world that's on its way to total reconstruction.

Easy.

Nothing is canon. Public IP from the point of my ownership. Fuck if I care what people think they can make their own Fallout legally and sell it after. Wasn't the point of a lot of Fallout to make your own story to branch off of after all.

I remembered this thread just now. I played Fallout today, cleared the Glow, and while taking a shower I remembered which game would make A PERFECT modernized classic Fallout experience.

And this is it:

250px-Vagrantstorybox.jpg

- Isometric camera: the good thing abou Vagrant Story is that you could switch from isometric to first person and look around, but not move. It was nice to see things in a first person perspective for a change. Moreover, you could turn the camera around to avoid being blocked with obstacles.
- VATS: the game uses a mix of the original games and the 2nd gen Fallout games. It's better to ilustrate it, for those who never played this awesome game.

vsinset.jpg

When attacking, you would get a huge sphere that represented the range of your current weapon. Everything else is self-explanatory, and works just as Fallout: you have a different chance of hitting different bodyparts, and the damage you could do was different depending on the body part. Blunt, Edge and Piercing were different types of damage you could do on enemies, some had resistances and weaknesses to the different types.

Vagrant Story was a real-time pause-when-attacking game. So you could move and escape from enemies, but when it came to dealing damage, time would stop and you would "go" into "VATS". Add a turn-based combat system with Action Points, where you could use (or not) VATS at will and it's a modern (2000!) Fallout experience, without straying far from the originals and keeping the tactical combat.

I think a Fallout game with these characteristics would be awesome. I really, really, really enjoyed Vagrant Story, it had an amazing story and a complicated but exciting crafting system. A lot of people always complain that first person is immersive, but I disagree. I think immersion comes from the graphics, not the perspective, and this game was very immersive, mostly because you could zoom in to your character and everything was more personal. I can only imagine how awesome a Fallout game with this system and updated graphics would be.

Convince Bethesda and Obsidian to co-develop a Fallout game. Bethesda handles the engine, FPS mechanics, level design and art, while Obsidian does the world design, writing, voice acting, RPG mechanics and anything else we wouldn't trust Bethesda to do correctly.

And that game will be the greatest Fallout game ever, and the fandom will rejoice, and the Bethesdrones and Black Isle trolls will join hands and sing kumbaya, and the world will be right once more.

Oh, this is going to be fun.

#1 - The engine/perspective. If I had control over this, I would keep the first-person style, BUT move the engine to something like IDTech 3 and keep the ARPG systems intact where it makes the most sense.

Examples:

Sniping (Lose it) versus full auto, burst fire, explosives, melee, shotguns, etc (Keep it)
Charisma checks (Keep it) versus Skill checks (Lose it)
Bartering (Mix of RPG (haggling) and skill)
Hacking and Lockpicking (Mix of avatar skill and user skill as we had in Oblivion)
Repair (I would love to see something akin to Bully's Shop Class mini-games here, but with a bit of RPG thrown in. Say you can't tell why a computer isn't working if your Science skill is too low but you can take a guess at a risk/penalty.)
Skillbooks (The F4 version of them makes sense ONLY if you can get some direct benefit from finding and owning such books. Extra Damage? Stupid. Lose those. Basic or even Advanced Hacking/Lockpicking knowledge that your skill will soon outgrow? We saw this in Vampire: The Masquerade, so keep it.)

#2 - Bring in some creative names well-known to Fallout but also other well-known names from other RPG projects of the past and present, and team them up with game design folks who love tabletop games. Brian Fargo, Fergus Urquhart, Tim Cain, Marcin Blacha from Witcher 3, Michael Kirkbride from Morrowind fame, and maybe Guillermo Del Toro.

#3 - Storyboard a main quest that takes place only 10-20 years after The Great War, which doesn't star a Vault Dweller but a group of preppers or people who were lucky enough to be somewhere that shielded them from the nukes, and which has the right balance of urgency built into the narrative as a partner to the exploration and role-playing. (The water chip time limit in Fallout 1 was my favorite part of the game, as was the time limit in Persona 3, precisely because they both make you carefully choose what to do and when, and makes the penalty for being slow or making the wrong decisions mean something.

Beyond those three...I'd have to think longer about it.

Back