Improvements on combat/companions/skills in the next game

plaidchuck

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Barring, ahem, less "constructive criticisms", I was wondering what some ideas people had that would make the "fps" part of the game more enjoyable. One of the things I do like is to be able to sneak around and snipe/assassinate, approaching situations in a "tactical" way, especially in NV with the addition of the iron sights. Of course this could be frustrating for people with no FPS experience.

That being said, they definitely need to improve the AI, it's silly that a Raider makes a bee-line towards me with his cleaver staring down the barrel of my shotgun. (I guess you could say they're all hopped up on Jet and don't care but come on) And players with guns don't do more than shoot, move a little to one side and repeat this ad infinitum. It would be cool if the enemies could actually sneak up and snipe at you, instead of constantly being in a static state until you interact with them (random encounters add the surprise factor somewhat but not enough). I also have noticed how sneak is kind of neutered in NV, out in the wasteland at least it's pretty hard to get in really close (never had a high sneak though so that may be it).

Also the engine should be tweaked to allow for more companions and better ways to manage them. The wheel was good addition but they still tend to wander off too much or decide to take on a group of deathclaws as you're merrily on your way. Having a lot of companions (or at least the option of having them) was a staple of the first two games so I think it should be better implemented in the new ones.

But what if one would think that the "improvments" like FPS gameplay should just die in a fire?

Back in the days there were actual combat systems. Would you call the combat in "Fallout" 3 or New Vegas a "system"? It is a clusterfuck. It is a shitty feeling FPS and has a broken character system. Why would anyone spend time to even think about "improving" this abomination?

There is no such thing as constructive criticism for Fallout 3/ New Vegas. Everyone here either seems to love it or their wheaties were shit in.

Ben said:
There is no such thing as constructive criticism for Fallout 3/ New Vegas. Everyone here either seems to love it or their wheaties were shit in.

Bullshit. There is plenty of constructive criticism around here. You haven't been here long enough I guess. Most of us stopped trying to debate Fallout 3 long ago, but New Vegas has been debated a lot. Some people get pissed, but most are pretty rational (Not all). Sure we have a lot of isometric hardliners, but what do you expect? Sellouts!? This is NMA motherfucker, not Bethesda Forums, or Nexus.

For the record, I kinda (barely) enjoyed Fallout 3, and loved New Vegas.

Well the system is here to stay like it or not, I assume it will be "skyrim with guns" so I hope that engine is an improvement (havent played it)). Hopefully they will take NV's writing as a cue and definitely have the faction system. If that went away I'd definitely be pissed.

I would really like to see more 'passive' companion skills like ED-E's ability to manufacture things.

If a companion has a great sneak skill or a repair skill and my own PC is lacking in those departments I would like to be able to order them to make use of those skills and send them out.

For example send Lily in to steal the schematics of the gun runners.

The companions need combat improvements no matter what system they use.
I would definitely like to see some companions you can take really early on who, if your character isn't combat oriented at all, can effectively hold their ground and yours.
Just as a device to get you through areas where fighting is unavoidable.

I'd also like to see the non-combat oriented characters take a more defensive position in combat. Make an attempt to run/keep their distance from the fighting.

These have ALWAYS been a problem in any fallout.

I've said it before, guns and ammo just need to be less common and way more destructive. I think that would take the game further from the FPS aspect. When one-shot kills can be scored on the player it takes the fun right out of a gunfight. It'll encourage people to use their brains and proper tactics.
If you're lucky, you can find some sort of ceramic plate armour, or take special perks to make the gun fights go a little longer for those who are particularly good at conserving, scrounging for and reloading ammunition.

Moonrabbit said:
I'd also like to see the non-combat oriented characters take a more defensive position in combat. Make an attempt to run/keep their distance from the fighting.

These have ALWAYS been a problem in any fallout.

Nope. In Fallout 2 Myron will pussy out at the drop of a hat.
The pariah dog (which is really more of a deadweight than a companion, but technically is one) actively runs away, and NEVER attacks. Just to let you know.

I definitely remember having Myron contribute in fights. He seemed to favor that needler even when I gave him something I thought was better. He'd pick one of the ground and start using it.
But that could just as easily have been a bug as the fact that at some points in the game, all my companions start running from combat. Even Sulik.

Back