Injuries and ailments thread

superdude34

Mad Grave Robber
On this thread I want to know what the worst injuries you guys have ever had are, and the most ill you've ever been. Like, tell me your near death experiences. Have you ever been hit by a car? How many bones have you broken. What did you do to break them. What is the most sick you have ever been with a virus/disease. Have you ever been shot? If so, whats it like to get shot? Name all your worst injuries and illnesses on this thread.

Mine are pretty mundane
  • When I was 2 I put my hand on the stove and burnt it, had to have a pot on for a couple of weeks.
  • I fell off a fence I was climbing and sprained a wrist when I was 11
  • And I was really seasick on a cruise once. I went to get breakfast and ended up barfing all over my neighbours cereal.

I tore a ligament in my ankle when I was around 9 years old, jumped off a slide at the playground and didn't quite land right.
Then two years ago I had a stress fracture in my ankle from training for a marathon without proper running shoes/proper technique for flat shoes.
And last year I tore my cruciate ligament during Rugby training, but I didn't know that at the time. I finally got surgery two months ago, still recovering from that. Knees suck.

I have a pretty high tolerance for pain so when my appendix ruptured I walked around for 3 days thinking I had a stomach virus. My wife finally forced me to go to the emergency room when her mom who's been a nurse for 30yrs told her I might have a ruptured appendix. The doctor who performed the emergency surgery said he guessed about 18 hours before my organs started shutting down and I died. I've also pinched a nerve in my neck and fucked my knee up in jiu jitsu.

I fell off a cliff when I was 4, they tell me, I almost died.
I broke an arm once when I was 8
I punched a door with a glass window (I was trying to prevent it from closing) and almost cut a vein, still got a nasty cut on my wrist.
I recently got really fucking sick with some weird cold that everyone was catching, I am usually pretty resistent to getting sick, I still got better 3 days afterwards.
Being tall and clumsy I tend to stumble into any imperfection the floor has but I have learned to not fall over.

And that's kind of it. I've never had any major surgeries and I haven't broke a bone since I was 8.

The small ones too many too count.

The most intense probably was when i wanted to do a very powerful dunk from as far away as i could.... I jumped, dunked the ball really hard and then kept on holding to the rim, but because i had too much inertia, my legs pulled me off and i fell hands and face down to the concrete. So i broke both of my hands, couldn't see color for a few minutes and could barely hear.

Also, one time i got so mad i tore an artery in my nose and could not stop the bleeding, the blood was going into my eyes as i was laying on the floor. They rushed me to the hospital where my nose was stuffed full with bandage and even then it slowly trickled out through the bandage for a half a day.

I wish i could become a cyborg, this fleshy body sucks ass.

Last edited:
I used to bike ride a lot. Tons of injuries from falling off the bike going downhill, trying to get the bike uphill, going too fast and hitting a curb, etc.

I think the absolute worst one though is when I was maybe 10 years old. See, we have this huge paved hill by my house. It was probably one of my first times going downhill, in order to make sure I understood how to control my speed. Long story short, my dad held on to the bike a little ways down then let go. I ended up not being able to control the bike and crashed it into a sewer hole thing. I went flying off into the dirt and ended up scraping my balls. Left a mark there for nearly a week. Probably one of the worst pains I've ever felt in my life.

Although as a kid I used to climb a lot I never fell and got hurt too badly. I had couple of really lucky escapes from falling from a tree.
Did crash a few times with my bicycle, mostly just scraped my arms and knees. Once crashed into a car in an intersection.
I've had many many pneumonias, bronchitis's, etc.
Not that many sports injuries, one twisted ankle from playing volleyball. Probably a couple of concussions from falling when ice skating and doing 'parkour'-type stuff as a kid.
Frost bites, pneumonias, etc. in the army.

When I was 7 or 8 me and my cousins where playing king of the hill and one of them tackled me while my wrist was in an awkward position resulting in my ulna being broken.

More recently my cousin and a mutual friend of ours caught a huge snapping turtle at the creek that required all 3 of us just to move for how massive it was. When I went to tie a piece of cloth around it's mouth to prevent it from biting, lo and behold I get bitten. It bit me on my pointer finger and fortunately it didn't bite down on the knuckle otherwise it would have taken my finger off easily.

I busted my left knee when I was in the army (it was in March 4, 2001).
While that sounds hardcore it is not, it wasn't in any combat or usually dangerous situation...
We (me and three other soldiers, 2 on each side) were lifting the front side of the truck trailer up so it could be connected to the truck, when the two guys on the other side decided for shit and giggles to drop the trailer on their side, me and the other guy had to try and keep it up for a few seconds so we could jump back (we couldn't hold the damn thing by ourselves for long, it was fully loaded and weighted like hell) to avoid the thing to fall on our legs/feet, I yelled to my mate to jump back while I kept trying to hold it off, he did so... I unfortunately overestimated how strong I was and as soon as he stop holding the trailer it juts came crashing on me, I jumped back but wasn't fast enough and so there goes a kneecap... Still hurts like hell when it rains and I can't or shouldn't run for more than a few steps.
The worst thing about that was that the trailer was full of tents and other materials to mount a camp to assist emergency crews, because a bridge had collapsed and a bus and three cars had fallen into the river and 59 people died, and those assholes decided to pull a prank like that which delayed the whole fuckin operation and costing an assigned man that had to be replaced (me) which took a few more minutes.

And when I was a kid (I don't remember this to be honest, but I can feel it in my skull) around 4 years old, I got my head kinda "crushed" by a pile of bricks that I so intelligently decided to climb... And when I did, all the bricks fell on me like a jenga tower.
I only know about it because later when I was older I asked my parents why I could feel small hard bits under the flesh below my left eye socket. And they told me it was from the same thing that allows me to feel a strange "dent or crack" from the top of my head coming down the center of my forehead and ending in the top of my left eye socket, and that those hard bits are bone fragments that back then the doctors decided it wouldn't be dangerous and would be worst if they operated to remove them.

Those are the two worst ones for me.

I once had antibiotic resistant strep. Spent a full day vomiting roughly every 30 seconds to two minutes. Eventually there was nothing left to vomit and I was left dry heaving the rest of the day which of course made my throat feel even worse.

I have really terrible migraines sometimes where it leaves me half blind for a few hours and once the blindness goes away I have eye-splitting pain in my left eye that lasts for another few hours. It's so bad and lasts so long that I'm pretty much incapacitated for a few hours. Either I can't see/read shit or my eye hurts so bad I can't focus on anything else. The best part is it's totally random. So far nothing seems consistent when it happens. It's happen when I was having a good time over the summer, it's happened when I was in the middle of a test at school. It's happened right in the middle of the day, early in the morning and late at night. Sometimes I'll have one and I won't have another for like 6 months sometimes I'll have 2 in a week.

I jumped, dunked the ball really hard and then kept on holding to the rim, but because i had too much inertia, my legs pulled me off and i fell hands and face down to the concrete. So i broke both of my hands, couldn't see color for a few minutes and could barely hear.

I remember that 'leg-inertia' - thing from when climbing in trees as a kid, I tried to do a 'Tarzan - swing' from a branch and had the inertia - thing and fell from a few meters to the ground. I didn't fall on my face but on my butt/lower back and had the wind knocked out. No broken bones but was very wobbly for some time.

So you could dunk eh, that's very good. I'm relatively tall (1,93m) but could never really dunk, just do lay-ups etc. and threw from the outside.

Vergil,

some kind of nerve pinch? An operation might help. I have sciatica and I have to exercise to keep it away.

I once got stuck behind my bed next to a radiator and my bro had to drag me out. My back was really painful so I had to get a cold bath for half an hour to feel better.
Wow some of you guy's really had some nasty injuries. Mine seem so boring compared to yours.

Interesting topic. I suppose I can start from oldest to newest to the best of my memory. I was born with a click in my hip from being a 10 pound infant, my poor mother. It gets cranky when it gets cold. I could have it fixed but it's a tad costly for a mild discomfort from time to time. When I was six, my brother was hanging a poster for me, a totally sweet Jurassic Park T-rex eating a Jeep poster and dropped a claw hammer right on my forehead and walked around with a big ol' goose egg on my forehead for about a week. No concussion or anything but remember walking around with a big purple lump on my face for a while.

A few years after that I wrecked my bike on a gravely road and received a long scrape with gravely bits in it. Got infected and wound up at the Dr. and had to take a weeks worth of antibiotics.

Next major injury I was about 14. My buddy and his brothers had fixed up an old dirt bike. Seemed to work just fine, until I rode it. Damn handle bars locked up, ramming me and dragging my hand along a chain link fence for several feet. I remember laughing until my buddy told me to look at my hand. Well where my pinky and ring knuckle were suppose to be was just black and blue swelling. My knuckles looked like Rocky Balboas eyelids for a couple weeks. No fractures but wasn't able to write correctly.

Here's the dumbest one. When I was 21 or so. The neighbor kids kept knocking and ringing the door bell. Thinking it was hilarious. I had a horrid headache that day, may or may not have been a hangover. Again memories being what they are but know my headache was real cause I got angry cause I just wanted to nap. I slammed my foot on the floor yelling "KNOCK THAT SHIT OF...." is when my foot hit the floor with a crunch. Tears in my eyes instantly. Pain. Lot's of pain. I just sat there. Mom forced me to go the Dr. Fracture in the ball of my foot. Nothing they can really do for that it seems. Gave me some ibuprofen and sent me home, telling me to walk on it as little as possible. I had to move to the east coast that week. Limped for about six weeks then the pain subsided.

My profession provides alot of burns, scrapes and cuts. My hands are all callouses and scars just from cooking.

That's about all I can remember.
In terms of illness I can only really getting super sick like twice. Once when I was 12 and once when I was 23. Outside of colds and such never really get sick much. Knock on wood.

So you could dunk eh, that's very good. I'm relatively tall (1,93m) but could never really dunk, just do lay-ups etc. and threw from the outside.

Those days are over, my back, knees, shoulders and heart valve had a group meeting and decided they had enough of intense physical activities. Was pretty cool while it lasted though, it's such a great feeling when you leap up and feels like you are floating in mid air, finishing that with a powerful dunk over a defending opponent (only did that a few times though).

As for height, well, being tall does not necessarily mean you will have an advantage over a smaller player in dunking. If you have t-rex arms (negative ape index) like i do, you are not your height in basketball terms. For example:

Dwayne Wade (nba player) is about 194 cm tall, however his wingspan is a ridicolous 211 cm, where someone like me, has the opposite effect, where my wingspan is shorter than my height. This means i have to jump as heigh as a much shoter guy with long arms. This puts me in a disadvantage even against the shorter guy, because i am heavier than the smaller guy.

Encounter a car accident a while back, have no memory about what really happened, already on the ground after wake up, they say my head directly impact with the windshield of the truck is the cause of memory loss, not many of flesh wounds but the muscle injury cause me unable to leave bed for at least one month, not sure how I get on ambulance by myself back where, maybe it's cause of adrenaline.

I've had a few -

When I was seven or eight I rolled out of bed in my sleep (top bunk) and my left arm smacked the side of a toy box. Greenstick fracture of the radius - I had to wear a splint for about six weeks.

In 1995 I had a bicycle accident, coming down a long hill. I got off the path and into a ditch right next to it. I hit a rock and got pitched over the handlebars. I broke my collarbone and four ribs on my left side. The collarbone didn't heal properly and I have a lump on my left shoulder to this day.

In 1997 I was hospitalized for two weeks with pancreatitis - I was a very heavy drinker in those days. The doctor gave me a simple choice; either quit drinking or probably die within the next five years. I haven't touched a drop since.

Finally, in 2015 I had an accident with a docking plate in the back room of the Walmart store where I was working at the time. I lost most of the tip of my right middle finger, and had to have surgery to at least get some tissue pad back on it.

Dwayne Wade (nba player) is about 194 cm tall, however his wingspan is a ridicolous 211 cm, where someone like me, has the opposite effect, where my wingspan is shorter than my height. This means i have to jump as heigh as a much shoter guy with long arms. This puts me in a disadvantage even against the shorter guy, because i am heavier than the smaller guy.

When I was young and skinny, I had decent vertical jumping ability, didn't play basket ball then though. Gained weight since then.

As far as wingspan is considered, how about the MMA guy Jon Jones., reach 84.5 in (215 cm). :shock: Or of course if you're someone like Shaq, dunkin' is easy.

Back