Is Fallout that special of a game to you? If so, why?

G-Hombre

Space is Dangerous
I don't mean the title in a douchy way. What I mean is, of all the games out there, why did Fallout appeal so much to you. For example I have a ton of games I love, and I could never pick a favorite. So what I'm asking is, why is Fallout your favorite/most special game?

Over the years I have played several games and I have become acquainted to different franchises. Each of them had its strong and weak points, engaging or less engaging characters, stories and combat, but noone of them was as interesting or unique as Fallout. I believe it took a great deal of imagination to build such a bizarre world: a mix between pure sci-fi and retrò elements that fluctuate between the optimistic 50s and the 80s. But if its aesthetic wasn't enough the series offers social satire and political speculation, going much deeper than most. In conclusion, I think that, standing above, Fallout is an unrivaled masterpiece of contemporary literature.

The form.
Few other tabletop simulations such as Armageddon Empires aside, Fallout 1+2 is the only digital simulator bringing PnP system to life in a quality fashion without any compromises. Hex-based grid, motion capture animated miniatures, the rule set despite being crippled by losing GURPS license, everything creates wonderful living PnP session on your monitor.

The setting.
Strong anti-war message as a main theme, with omnipresent cold war fear of nuclear aggression I was raised in, makes the game more real and personal than anything else could have. Wearing gas mask, recognizing alert signals, undergoing basic decontamination after being exposed to chemical or nuclear fallout, or being evacuated to a local underground shelter was a reality during civil defense exercises for my generation.

I prefer Fallout to Fallout 2.

I like how the balance of the game always keeps you reasonably vulnerable without breaking down the game the same way it happens at the end of Fallout 2. The atmosphere of the game is also very appealing to me. Despite what a lot of people have said over the years I like the timed quest. Some of the puzzles are legit unsolvable if adhering to modern day gaming mentality, so it's humbling to remember how it was done then. Considering some people have had hard time figuring out the rope thingy… that says a lot.

If somebody ever overhauls combat, conversations and encounters, it will be one of the best games ever made. Not that it's bad in it's current state, but it does set a the bar quite high for entries.

There's a lot of reasons. I dig the style/settings, the themes, questions it asks, that it's a RPG, player freedoms, how it can have branching choices, and more. I also like how the originals didn't tell you if your skill was too low/high to do something or that your speech skill was letting you say something. It feels more natural. You can attempt most things, you can say whatever you want but if you have an extra speech option you can't immediately tell by the game having a marker beside it. You have to determine it's the best thing to say still.

I think I'll have to echo the thoughts of NMLevesque and Squadcar here, in that the amount of choice available was what really got me into the first games. I don't think (apart from Deus Ex) that I've ever played a game like it - I could replay it in multiple different ways, with completely different characters, finding new solutions to different problems, and still be surprised at finding something new each playthrough. I didn't even know about the Brotherhood of Steel guy in the hub for ages, for example, and finding the Enclave message in Gecko wasn't something I found until I made a completely inappropriate science/diplomat based arroyo tribal. I can't rate either FO1 or 2 over the other, they both have their memories and charms.

Hell, I even finished the Fallout 2 once as a complete junky - filling up my character's inadequacies with loads of chem use, ended up running out of jet IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING OILRIG (yeah... I didn't think this plan through very well), having massive withdrawal as I went up against Frank Horrigan. Oh jeeze.

The final scenes, picture it if you will. My character, unshaved and probably shivering violently, staggering toward the exit door one hex at a time, whilst Marcus and Cassidy basically finished the game for me.

An image that will stay with me forever.

Originally, it was the theme and the quality of the writing (no cringe). But now I would say:

The balance between a linear story keeping everything focused (i.e. atmosphere and meaning), without losing the depth in gameplay and choices (i.e. re-playability).

For example there is a story box of: Help tribe/vault – walk around trying to do so – face Enclave/Master, that keeps everything together and tight.

And although each steeping stone of the middle part has a story, a place in the world and an influence on the final slide show (choice & consequence, aka significance), the player is entirely free to do it in any order or not at all.

And, last, each play-through adjusts based on the used character (i.e. change your character and the game changes. Some options will open, while others will close. And if you reduce your IN below 4 it even changes dramatically. In fact, it still blows my mind that they rewrote the entire dialogue for a stupid play-through. That really stands out to me.).

I think that's what I like about Fallout, the merging of a linear story with player freedom and the depth of character design, keeping the game indefinitely fresh without ever becoming a meaningless grind or a pointless array of side-quests.

When I first played Fallout 3, it was for the freedom that it brought. I enjoyed a bunch of crazy shit in the game, I was 14 at the time, crazy shit was right up my street.

Later on, I learned to enjoy Fallout for its themes, its bleak World built around the fall of Human Nature and the satire and dark humour that I love so much.
While I prefer F1 to F2, I have to give F2 credit for going along with its weirdness. It's not like F4 which stays inconsistent throughout, trying to take the dumb ideas seriously. Instead it just seems to love rolling in its insanity. Kudos to F2.

I will try not to be repeating a lot what other people already said. But I will probably fail...

I started playing Fallout 1 and 2 around the time they were released.
I had played mostly consoles back then (since I couldn't afford a PC). But once I got my first computer second hand I fell in love with cRPGs. I had played Daggerfall and Baldur's Gate and loved them.
I also loved P&P (Tabletop) RPGs. It is still my favorite gaming genre.

While I loved Daggerfall, Bardur's Gate and other older cRPG, Fallout was the first cRPG that reproduced more faithfully a P&P game on computer.

The turn based combat where we have to think and plan each move, the grid map, the random encounters, the followers that act by themselves (kinda like derpy P&P players you can't control), the engaging world, NPCs with personality, the very good character creation and how the game uses your characters attributes and skills, the critical failures and hits, etc. Was close enough to the P&P feel, that it could scratch my itch for it between my P&P groups gaming sessions.

Then we have the world. Retro Futuristic tech in a post apocalypse world, where humanity is struggling to survive but its succeeding. The moral dilemmas a character in that world has. Be nice to others and expose your self to risk, ignore others and push your own agenda, see others only as step-stones to achieve your goals, be a psycho, be a dumb person with a golden heart, etc.

Fallout 1 was such a short game, but it was as deep as an ocean in many areas. It was also innovative.
Before it, there was no RPGs that had systems like Traits or Perks. Now many high profile RPGs (P&P or otherwise) have systems similar to that. It wasn't afraid of letting you fail, it wasn't afraid to be brutal, it wasn't afraid to push borders.

It's a mature game for mature gamers.

(Posted without reading everyone else's input to prevent them from influencing me, I will read through them all when I have provided me input.)

From my perspective Fallout is a very special game to me.

Fallout 1 & 2 provided me with the opportunity to explore a diverse environment, engage with unique characters, and even engage in a little archaeology Indian Jones style to shine light on what little remained of the old world prior to the great calamity known as the Great War.

For me the key attribute to the games is there capacity to allow players to engage with the game with very uniquely flawed characters that in their own way influenced the game to play in a completely different way.
Needless to say the amount of player agency afforded to the player was unheard of in video games outside of the typical D&D realm of titles.

Another details that truly interested me was the role playing aesthetic without the over the top "magic" or fantasy environment, instead I got to enjoy a dark diesel punk game layered in pop culture and dark humor. I have to give credit where it is due in this case as the developers from my opinion managed to cultivate player experiences in both a normal and bizarre way without the transition from the two becoming too jarring. The result from what I experienced was not immersion breaking or disconnecting in any way, for me it actually reinforced the overall game and my immersion.

I rarely encounter games crafted with such deft thought, particularly in today's market. Fallout 1 & 2 for me are like these bizarre intellectual games not intended for the average consumer, but for those that wanted to weigh options, plan, and even find creative solutions to normally insurmountable obstacles. By allowing me to exercise my brain Fallout managed to keep me enthralled throughout the entire experience.

It's also very rare to encounter games with such interesting world building as well. Ever notice the games with the best world building tend to have the most interested fans? The universe in which Fallout exists is this enigmatic ever ongoing investigation mired in sin and tainted by the occasional freak technology. Allowing players to explore the rich past, while explore the "status quo" that has come to be presents players with an interesting duality.

In this case the player is perfectly aware of what was, what is not, and what may be. Provided they can actually succeed in their task. Plus from intro to end the player is given a clear overriding goal that dictates the flow of the game.

The themes used within Fallout presented players with a very unique opportunity for exploration. When games are designed the ideal level of interactivity is to the maximum. In Fallout 1 & 2 players got to explore the ethics of existing in a post apocalyptic wasteland. The player could not only be the paragon of light, or the reaper of souls, but could find themselves in unique dynamics that would influence the game.

A great example of this is groups and sub groups that could be encountered in the game. Such as the guild of thieves, the desert rangers, slavers, etc...
Players are introduced to the light and dark on every level, from traumatized children fleeing from a power armed wearing individual, to helping some stranger pay rent. The spectrum of morality is grand, and through exploring that players or their characters can grow.

So in conclusion, why is Fallout special to me? Because it's a game made for adults, to be played like an adult, and requires those that play it to consider their choices rather than blinding barreling into a shooting gallery hoping for the best. It's a thinking game, a mature game, and surreal with it's introspection.

I hate the idea of calling games intellectual or mature as a general rule, but I agree with a lot of what you guys have been saying. It does have a lot of mature content that's not even seen in today's rated M games.

It is one of those older games that require you to think a little bit by yourself and not just show you how to proceed forward. I guess that's when games are a bit more "intellectual." You have to make sure you understand the game's system too like not messing up a build and whatnot.

Fallout doesn't hold the player's hand, it's all up to the player how they choose to proceed.
It's like figuring out a puzzle, and every change, iteration, and choice results in a new configuration.

Fallout doesn't hold the player's hand, it's all up to the player how they choose to proceed.
It's like figuring out a puzzle, and every change, iteration, and choice results in a new configuration.

Yep. I remember stepping out of the Vault, thinking the world was going to adapt and harden as my character gained in levels, with the first few quests like a slow and steady tutorial as I learned the rules of the game.

Cue getting eaten by radscorpions because I didn't run away. Cue getting my head kicked in by the khan boss because I gave him lip. Cue getting shot by junktown's guards for attempted theft because I wanted a shotgun but Killian didn't take credit card.

And if I didn't want to follow this quest, or do this string of events to get to the next area, or talk to this person to unlock the ending, I didn't have to. Guns blazing, silver tongue, shadow warrior or tech nerd. Fallout didn't care. Fallout only demanded that whatever you did, you were good at it.

It made me re-evaluate how I look at games, and reading this thread in particular has made me think long and hard about how my own little projects. Enough said.

Back