Is the Enclave old?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by ElloinmorninJ, Jul 1, 2020.

1. ElloinmorninJ

ElloinmorninJ It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 25, 2019
    I was working on a hypothetical Fallout game set in Colorado, and wanted to have a faction called Buchanan’s Brigade, a contingent of the Enclave, present. This was the original idea

There wouldn’t be any Enclave, but there would be a faction descended from them- Buchanan’s Guard. Led by Commander Adam Buchanan, they’re former Enclave members who have in the 20 or so years since its fall taken to an abandoned NORAD base. They’re small, only about 80 of them, but they’d be important- They’d relinquish the old ways of the Enclave and simply want to rebuild something. Anything civilized. They’d be mostly men though, so they’d be buying female slaves to try and grow their population, or capturing them themselves- No tribal being able to match their power.

^ Some of the users who replied suggested I replace these guys with a non-Enclave group. Perhaps just some sort of paramilitary faction or a community of survivalists that were particularly well-armed. But I feel like the Enclave could work. They are a pretty powerful faction. Hmm. What do you guys think?

2. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android A Smooth-Skin

Jun 7, 2015
    I wouldn't mind the Enclave as long as they remain extremely minor.

3. Dayglow Drifter

Dayglow Drifter First time out of the vault

Sep 25, 2018
    The only acceptable portrayal of The Enclave at this point would be essentially what was done in New Vegas, basically showing them as a group reminiscent in post-WWII Nazi fugitives. This doesn't mean that there still can't be Enclave bad guys, but I think any Enclave villain would be more interesting as a lackey to the actual Big Bad Guy.

4. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Augmented Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005
    What people don't know is the Enclave was founded by 33rd degree Freemasons that were all descended from the Founding Fathers of the country. It's in the Fallout Bible.

5. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Fossil

Mar 16, 2013
    tbh i'd actually like that. The Enclave being deepstate memes that got BTFO by a tribal and wiped away for good even after surviving the apocalypse is pretty neato

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    It is not perhaps a bad idea but I think at some point a line should have been drawn how far popular conspiracies should be a part of the Fallout canon.
    Fallout is about exploring the world that came after the bomb and not to much what did come before the bomb and survived it.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    Not anymore. Now we have the BoS being some armed militant faction that hated the government. FALLOUT CANNON.

8. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    In fairness was the origin story of the BoS not always that Maxson led a coup at Mariposa and declared secession from the USA, but it was less than a handful of days before the bombs

9. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    From what I read of 76 lore it pushes that event in the background. It feels more like the BoS are actual terrorists instead of soldiers refusing orders.

10. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
  11. Dayglow Drifter

Dayglow Drifter First time out of the vault

Sep 25, 2018
    retconning is bethesda's go-to way of avoiding having to come up with new and original ideas

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  12. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Half-way Through My Half-life

Nov 26, 2007
    Bethesda has bought the batch of secret sauce—without the recipe. They slathered it on their own products, but have run out, and cannot make any more of the stuff.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  13. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    If I remember correctly, Maxson killed the scientists at Mariposa, then reported himself to the USA government and waited for them to come and arrest him. But they never came (because the bombs fell).
    So he formed the BoS after that.

14. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    I recall him comparing himself to Jefferson Davis but it's been a while

15. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    He mentions Jefferson Davis on his diary recordings we can find in Fallout 1:
    What is interesting is that it seems that the game used an outdated version of the diary. It should say "Jefferson Davis, eat your heart out." instead of "They remember Jefferson Davis. What will history say about me?"

--

This is what the Fallout Bible says:
    So, he declares succession from the Union and awaits for the government to come and take him, but they never come. I think that was his way of "quitting", like the FO Bible says.
    He forms the BoS after the exodus to the Lost Hills bunker.