Is Van Buren canon (or semi canon)

DiddlePants

First time out of the vault
Ever since I read the design documents for Van Buren, I was extremely intrigued with the various locations and lore that would have been in the final game. Things such as the Daughters of Hecate and The Reservation always stuck out to me as interesting ideas that should have been utilized even after the death of Van Buren. Imagine my shock when playing New Vegas for the first time and discovering all the Van Buren references (The Ciphers, Fort Abandon, Circle Junction, etc).

The Van Buren references just don’t stop at New Vegas though. Fallout 76 has a crashed space station that looks almost identical to one of the B.O.M.B stations from Van Buren. I was hoping there would be some lore or terminal in the crash site that would reference Van Buren to some capacity, but obviously I got my hopes too high it’s still interesting to note however.

What do you guys think? Is Van Buren canon? Is it semi-canon like Fallout tactics? Or is it completely non canon? I like to think the game is canon overall except parts that were retconed from later games. Similar to tactics, I like to think it’s canon unless stated otherwise. I hate to see all that lore go to waste. Thoughts?

Completely non-canon.
Any elements that have been taken from it has been distorted to fit something else to the point that it isn't really the same anymore.
However in canon there are subterrenean alien space super sayian vampires under the Mojave.
So fuck what's actually canon.
Your canon can be whatever you want it to be. :magic:

However I still don't consider it canon as it is only design documents and conflicts with FNV. If a modder ever manages to recreate Van Buren as a mod or as a standalone title I will probably ditch FNV for Van Buren as my canon.

All Van Buren is is a box of ideas they'll go back to when their own run dry.

Ever since I read the design documents for Van Buren, I was extremely intrigued with the various locations and lore that would have been in the final game. Things such as the Daughters of Hecate and The Reservation always stuck out to me as interesting ideas that should have been utilized even after the death of Van Buren. Imagine my shock when playing New Vegas for the first time and discovering all the Van Buren references (The Ciphers, Fort Abandon, Circle Junction, etc).

The Van Buren references just don’t stop at New Vegas though. Fallout 76 has a crashed space station that looks almost identical to one of the B.O.M.B stations from Van Buren. I was hoping there would be some lore or terminal in the crash site that would reference Van Buren to some capacity, but obviously I got my hopes too high it’s still interesting to note however.

What do you guys think? Is Van Buren canon? Is it semi-canon like Fallout tactics? Or is it completely non canon? I like to think the game is canon overall except parts that were retconed from later games. Similar to tactics, I like to think it’s canon unless stated otherwise. I hate to see all that lore go to waste. Thoughts?
I feel like you could twist elements about the plot of van buren to turn it into a prequel of new vegas. Just like how you can twist a cap off a crisp bottle of Bawls Guarana™. I treat it as canon

Elements have been used of it in FNV but Van Buren itself is sadly non canon. Some kind of prequel could indeed have been made with it but then FNV would also have to be heavily modified to imply that NCR once extended further eastwards until the Legion drove it back to Nevada. But honestly? Don't bother

It would have been cool to have seen the Daughters of Hecate and the Reservation as I liked that that place could basically have been the main plot of Van Buren
Ghouls seeking to procreate by using human slaves as hosts and sticking it to normies by planning to launch dirty bombs and even full nuclear warheads into settlements
, and yet it is just another place and a number of quests. Well there that Fallout New Vegas fan made project now that uses some of it to create a DLC size adventure.

Elements have been used of it in FNV but Van Buren itself is sadly non canon. Some kind of prequel could indeed have been made with it but then FNV would also have to be heavily modified to imply that NCR once extended further eastwards until the Legion drove it back to Nevada. But honestly? Don't bother

It would have been cool to have seen the Daughters of Hecate and the Reservation as I liked that that place could basically have been the main plot of Van Buren
Ghouls seeking to procreate by using human slaves as hosts and sticking it to normies by planning to launch dirty bombs and even full nuclear warheads into settlements
, and yet it is just another place and a number of quests. Well there that Fallout New Vegas fan made project now that uses some of it to create a DLC size adventure.
That New Vegas fan made project/mod, are you referring to the Boulder Dome mod project?

Back