Josh Sawyer interview at RPS

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/wh...ore-josh-sawyer-doesnt-care-it-was-never-mine

Interview with Josh Sawyer on Rock Paper Shotgun, where he talks about his impressions of the TV show, and some other topics like New Vegas design and developer crunch and burnout.

"The show really does capture the aesthetic of Fallout 4 and 76, while also feeling like it is set on the West Coast,” he says. “If you’re a fan, then you can see where the plot elements have been pulled from in previous entries. And if you’re new to it, thankfully, those plot elements are fairly straightforward. So I think it’s a good show for fans and a good show if you’re new to it, even though there’s a lot of stuff going on. I’m certainly interested to see where they’re going in the second season.”

By the time we speak, Sawyer has seen the finale of the Fallout show. But for three days prior, he was “inundated with the discourse”, as fans tweeted their worries and outrage directly to his account. “I understood why there was maybe some confusion or ambiguity,” he says. “I don’t think I necessarily would have jumped to the conclusions that other people did. But I could see why some people might be aggravated or annoyed."

Sawyer himself, by contrast, is philosophical about the impact the TV show or any future Fallout entry might have on New Vegas. “This might sound weird, but whatever happens with it, I don’t care,” he says. “My attitude towards properties that I work on, and even characters that I create, is that I don’t own any of this stuff. It was never mine. And the thing that I made is what I made.”

Sawyer remains very proud of the New Vegas team’s work and believes the game stands on its own. “If later on other people working in the space do new things with it and change it, I’ll maybe have opinions on it, but I don’t get attached to things in that way,” he says. “I don’t feel like it’s healthy for me to be really invested in something I have no control over, frankly."

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s refreshing that Sawyer attempts to sympathize with people that are upset with the show instead of just criticizing them as “negative”.

I really don’t expect any of the names associated with Fallout to shit on this show outright, even if they really didn’t like it. That would just seem unprofessional.

I really don’t expect any of the names associated with Fallout to shit on this show outright, even if they really didn’t like it. That would just seem unprofessional.

Chris Avellone said on Twitter he was gonna give criticisms since he has no skin in the game but there’s of course the possibility he likes the show.

It’s refreshing that Sawyer attempts to sympathize with people that are upset with the show instead of just criticizing them as “negative”.

I mean, it's also, crazy as it sounds...possible they actually like it.

Personally, I hope Microsoft does what FORBES suggests and tells Obsidian to make a new Fallout.

Moved to news, pretty interesting Interview overall.
Sounds like PoE2 was rough, and Obsidian higher ups are a bunch of asshats. But I guess that was already known of course.

Chris Avellone said on Twitter he was gonna give criticisms since he has no skin in the game but there’s of course the possibility he likes the show.
Oh man, I can't wait for him to see the fate of Shady Sands/The NCR, he's going to be over the moon with that one!

;) :roffle:

Moved to news, pretty interesting Interview overall.
Sounds like PoE2 was rough, and Obsidian higher ups are a bunch of asshats. But I guess that was already known of course.
The same with PoE1, it was a net loss for the publisher Paradox. Hence why the second one was published by Versus Evil.

It's actually impressive that they didn't outright insult their fans, like what many other game companies do. Some memorable ones are DICE and the backlash it got for the awful BFV trailer

Always surprising when they don't rattle the cage and scream the fans are the reason the show sucked. I wish people would be more willing to criticize things in the gaming sphere, everyone acts like Tim Cain and I find it frustrating as hell because life isn't that way but game developers are some of the most babied people on the planet.

The markets for creative industries are unforgiving and nobody wants to hurt their chances at an opportunity. It's the essential nature of the relationship between artists and patrons.

I have a feeling that there’s no way Sawyer likes it considering he fought to keep Fallout progressing towards civilization while Avellone wanted to nuke everything.

Though it seems like Sawyer likes it and Avellone doesn’t.

Or they liked it.
Sawyer, Tim and company gain nothing from trashing this show. Or do you need their validation? Because it would be hilarious. Imagine being so insecure that you need other people to like it so that you can feel good about yourself.

The way we've devolved to where people can't express their opinions both positive and negative due to industry politics is so stupid. Creativity dies when you just clap at everything that comes out because it was made by some sniveling suffered artist.
(I'd like to note I'm talking in general and not specifically about the article in which Josh seem to be actually pretty straightforward and honest, respectably.)

I have a feeling that there’s no way Sawyer likes it considering he fought to keep Fallout progressing towards civilization while Avellone wanted to nuke everything.

Though it seems like Sawyer likes it and Avellone doesn’t.

Avellone loves dark and serious shit.

Sawyer has a sense of humor.

Back