Lack of "modern" weapons & armour

Kyoto

First time out of the vault
Where are all the guns from the 2020s, 2030s, 2040s, 2050s, 2060s?

Why is everything old 20th century weapons or lasers/plasma. This comes off as very blatant inconsistency.

I'd say Marksman Carbine is quite advanced on it's own.

Last edited:

Why is everything old 20th century weapons or lasers/plasma. This comes off as very blatant inconsistency.
Developer ineptness; misunderstanding of the world setting [possibly deliberate, for marketing reasons].

The series setting is a 1950's era expectation of the future; Bethesda presents a future obsessed with the 1950's—quite a significant difference, but also more difficult to impart on the consumer. There were professional game reviewers that thought FO3 was set in an alternate 1950's. :(

By 2025, Britain will be equipped with tanks firing laser beams that never need ammo replenishing! I think Boris Johnson and the British military were into C+C more so than Fallout that liked Bozars and plasma weapons

Developer ineptness; misunderstanding of the world setting [possibly deliberate, for marketing reasons].

The series setting is a 1950's era expectation of the future; Bethesda presents a future obsessed with the 1950's—quite a significant difference, but also more difficult to impart on the consumer. There were professional game reviewers that thought FO3 was set in an alternate 1950's. :(

What would be the marketing reasons? Because if other future weapons, lasers, plasma pulse, ralgun etc can be in-game, regular weapons wouldn't be much of a jump.

What would be the marketing reasons? Because if other future weapons, lasers, plasma pulse, ralgun etc can be in-game, regular weapons wouldn't be much of a jump.
I think Fallout should have been using a system that Van Buren would implemented. Energy weapons and ballistics are one and the same skill. But energy weapons are just the future, better tier ones.

You can only improve ballistic guns so much but the firepower curve will remain rather flat. Otherwise you just use more polymer, ceramic, super alloy to improve them. See the problem?

The only complain I got is just why only USA had the monopoly of energy weapons. Sure German company develop one or two (Plasma Defender by H&K). Otherwise no one else, except if you count China in Anchorage DLC.

I think Fallout should have been using a system that Van Buren would implemented. Energy weapons and ballistics are one and the same skill. But energy weapons are just the future, better tier ones.
Energy weapons have no recoil, and no fall off, and are unaffected by wind. It's an entirely different skill; one that gives no competency with ballistic weapons (which contend with gravity and resistance), and skill in the latter gives no familiarity with energy weapon use and maintenance.

What would be the marketing reasons?
Simplicity of theme. "The fifties, but in the future" rather than "The future anticipated by the 1950s" (and all that that entails). A simpler elevator pitch.

The only complain I got is just why only USA had the monopoly of energy weapons. Sure German company develop one or two (Plasma Defender by H&K). Otherwise no one else, except if you count China in Anchorage DLC.
Any viable energy weapon would require ungodly amounts of energy to run. The US, even if it hadn't broken its dependency on oil fully by 2077 despite Bethesda depictions, had been the only country to succesfully develop the technology to allow such quantities of energy to be generated, and in man-portable sizes.

You can only improve ballistic guns so much but the firepower curve will remain rather flat. Otherwise you just use more polymer, ceramic, super alloy to improve them. See the problem?

I've read that the fallout laser weapons are more similar to actual plasma weapons, is that true? Also, I wouldn't mind the weapon skill being about accuracy rather than weapon damage. So in the case of energy weapons, that would be quite the issue. But if the E-weapons/ammo was rarer that would work, instead of it being mainly skill focused.

I've read that the fallout laser weapons are more similar to actual plasma weapons, is that true? Also, I wouldn't mind the weapon skill being about accuracy rather than weapon damage. So in the case of energy weapons, that would be quite the issue. But if the E-weapons/ammo was rarer that would work, instead of it being mainly skill focused.
Reminded me a bit of that old news about chinese laser AK for some reason. Can you imagine that actually competing and being created at this same time as more "typical" AK 47? https://gritrsports.com/shooting/firearms/rifles/ak-47-rifles/ would be cool to see side by side comparison :D
I mean laser trope is pretty common for "futuristic" weapons.
Skill = damage is just somewhat of a lazy approach to balance everything around RPG element imo(they probably didn't want players to feel like missing literally every shot and getting pummeled at low lvl).

Last edited:
I mean laser trope is pretty common for "futuristic" weapons.
Skill = dmg is just somewhat of a lazy approach to balance everything around RPG element imo(they probably didn't want players to feel like missing literally every shot and getting pummeled at low lvl).

At least with using dmg, it causes things to go in the direction of bullet sponges, like nv. Where the Legion should be over instantly.

Whereas in an isometric format, accuracy would be less annoying.

Well, a crime family suddenly making other big crime gangs go panic once the former got access to good enough laser pistol. So even laser should be game changer enough compared to lots of ballistic gun.

Well, a crime family suddenly making other big crime gangs go panic once the former got access to good enough laser pistol. So even laser should be game changer enough compared to lots of ballistic guns.

The value of parceling things out, rather than releasing in whole is underrated. Imagine how much better a laser pistol would work without any skill needed to use it's full potential and skipping the immaturity of "legendary weapons" with double bullets or kneecapping effects.

It's about time games got logistics as well. Laser weapons would work perfectly for this, being a newly developed primarily military weapon before the nukes went of, meaning low in supply, especially ammo. Something like this could make the BOS a player choice not because of faction ideals but because it gives them a regular supply of ammo.

It's about time games got logistics as well. Laser weapons would work perfectly for this, being a newly developed primarily military weapon before the nukes went of, meaning low in supply, especially ammo. Something like this could make the BOS a player choice not because of faction ideals but because it gives them a regular supply of ammo.
And people still wonder why Imperial Guardsmen are issued with Lasgun instead of Melta or Vortex guns. Bruh, if you got Laser battery that can be recharged by putting it near a campfire, that's just huge net positive in logistic department.

That said, MF Breeder guns would be priceless. Especially if you can have multiple MF Breeder per gun.

I know Oblivion used use = experience, advancement. In reality this seems to make sense but in game bouncing around like a rabbit and sneaking about increased those stats.

Unless you gambled and put points into energy weapons at the start of Fallout, then won an early random encounter to gain an energy weapon, it made sense to start with small guns.

The principles in Mass Effect1 were that of a tiny particle or shard accelerated to hyper sonic speeds by using an internal accelerator like a mini CERN were the weapons of the day.

In later games, ammo had to be found, which I thought was weird.
In Fallout 2, I liked the bozar.
I had never bothered thinking were the weapons wrong for the time frame, I just shot things with various weapons and enjoyed it tremendously.

Energy weapons have no recoil, and no fall off, and are unaffected by wind.
You are mostly describing laser, but even laser is affected by humidity. But something like plasma is pretty much not that far from how a bullet would behave, albeit more vulnerable i think.

In fact that would only make laser being the special energy weapons that doesn't require that much skill. Kinda like the first laser pistol you acquire in FNV?

r gives no familiarity with energy weapon use and maintenance.
Maybe energy weapons use should be paired with guns + science or/and repair skill?

You are mostly describing laser, but even laser is affected by humidity. But something like plasma is pretty much not that far from how a bullet would behave, albeit more vulnerable i think.
Bullets don't reflect off of chrome, nor refract through glass. As for plasma, while it might be little plasma blob bullets, I'd expect the user to need specialized [electrical] knowledge to adjust it for accurate range or even damage at range that conventional firearms skill just doesn't cover.

Back