Last book you bought

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein: Or, the modern Prometheus

Currently reading it, it's an awesome mix of Gothic horror and science fiction. Which is quite impressive for a 1818 text. In the editors' notes it is claimed to be "the first sci fi novel". I don't know if it is true, but it definately seems way ahead of its time.

jero cvmi said:
In the editors' notes it is claimed to be "the first sci fi novel". I don't know if it is true, but it definately seems way ahead of its time.

It's not true. But it's the most famous of the first SF books, one that actually survived time.

Cimmerian Nights said:
I can't stand those Dune spin-offs though. They fail even as Dune-lite, which in and of itself is just wrong. I could tolerate that first prequel trilogy, but just wait until you read the Battle of Corrin. That's a fucking B-O-M-B of the highest caliber. It goes beyond Herbert & Anderson, who edits that shit? Hugely disappointed by Hunters of Dune or whatever they called Dune 7.

I'm done with those jokers, they're at the point now, after the prequels, the pre-prequels and the finale-quels that they just look for 2 week gaps between the previous books and hamfistedly cram another novel in. Milking it dry...

I'm enjoying the first prequel book. It's not Dune, but then again, it's a book that gives a bit more background and shows the roots of the Dune as we know it.

Erasmus is an interesting character.

Tagaziel said:
I'm enjoying the first prequel book. It's not Dune, but then again, it's a book that gives a bit more background and shows the roots of the Dune as we know it.

Erasmus is an interesting character.
As is Vorian.

You know, up to the end of that trilogy I felt Dune-Lite is better than no Dune at all. Sure they're fluffy and one dimensional, and don't really touch on themes/philosophy in the depth that F.H. did. But he left some big literary shoes to fill, so I was willing to enjoy these new novels for what they are. I know they are 'space opera'. I don't get hung up on canon. But even with those lowered expectations I - I've just never read a book before that had me rolling my eyes and groaning out loud before. They are really poor writers on so many levels IMO.

Picked this up the other day:

road-to-serfdom.jpg

Cimmerian Nights said:
As is Vorian.

You know, up to the end of that trilogy I felt Dune-Lite is better than no Dune at all. Sure they're fluffy and one dimensional, and don't really touch on themes/philosophy in the depth that F.H. did. But he left some big literary shoes to fill, so I was willing to enjoy these new novels for what they are. I know they are 'space opera'. I don't get hung up on canon. But even with those lowered expectations I - I've just never read a book before that had me rolling my eyes and groaning out loud before. They are really poor writers on so many levels IMO.

I approach it as a sort of a novelized companion book - instead of entries, I get a story that presents the foundations of the universe as it unfolds.

It's not Dune, however, since it's not meant to be. Herbert's work was directly tied to Muad'Dib and his legacy, not what happened thousands of years before.

Back