Lonesome Road Final Choice kind of sucks

Ulysses was slated to be a companion in New Vegas from what I remember. But I think the idea just didn't fit in with what they currently had + the timeframe they had to make the game as it'd require reworking some things. We all know it's miraculous that NV is as good as it is when the pre-planning, planning, development on Bethesda's engine with a team that has no experience, and whatnot all under 2 years is pretty wild. I mean of course it was even buggier on launch and probably to this day. They took what Fallout 3 had and added a shit ton of stuff to it and more complex questlines. No way that the engine that was probably strained by Fallout 3 was going to smoothly bust out New Vegas with smaller development time on a less experienced team. I know there's nuance in there like Bethesda is said to have provided assistance and they didn't have to make every asset you see in the game but it's impressive for sure.

I think Ulysses would probably be received better if the base game had more Legion sided content and territory and he was fleshed out there. I understand the qualms people have with the DLC but I also think people misinterpret a lot of it still.

You know one thing I never understood, was why the heck did they make it out to be an important decision? Like why did they present it as "THE FATE OF THE MOJAVE WASTELAND LIES IN YOUR HANDS!" when really, it's just those affected areas that have been nuked. Am I missing something here? Like are talking about the Mojave being affected by your choice of nuking either area in the long run or...?

:confused:
As PaxVenire says,
They’re basically saying wherever you choose to launch the nukes is going to cripple that faction in the long run and be a catalyst of sorts for their demise.
Yeah, this is true. You don't have to directly nuke either faction at their homes or their outposts in the Mojave to cripple them. I don't remember the significance of Dry Wells besides it being very important to the Legion and the Twisted Hairs but I remember the Long 15 essentially being a supply route for the NCR in Vegas so if that's cut off, they will fail at the second battle of Hoover Dam. They are already struggling with supply, troop count, and morale. Losing a supply route would be devastating. I'd assume that Dry Wells is probably a similar fate for Legion as some sort of supply route nearby that losing it would be a loss in the upcoming battle. Or at probably that either decision would be so catastrophic that winning the Battle at the Dam won't mean anything as they wouldn't have the means necessary to protect it and control Vegas afterwards.

I'm not sure if the DLC presents these things in a way that most players beat the game, reload, and then do the DLC to forget that the Second Battle has not occurred yet. That is truly the end of the game. Whatever decisions you make up to that point are the determining factors of the ending and Lonesome Road won't actually change that (I don't think?) but it implies it does. And that Ulysses says something about how it'd cut the throat of that faction so the victory would be a shallow one at that point.
I think it was really just too ambitious to live up to what it needed to be and the expectation of consequences to the final DLC on the main game are too high to be reasonable given the stakes presented. Which I'll just say again, I think they should have maybe gone with a different storyline somehow but I don't think it was overall awful. But I get that the other DLCs really are their own bubbles that don't have implied major impact on the game and rather tell their own stories and provided context into the past. So when Lonesome Road says it'll have devastating consequences, you expect more than seeing the rubble of a supply route with some ghoulified soldiers there.

Yeah.

As I understand, Ulysses plan isn't to actually nuke NCR or The Legion as in, "blow up their capitals." His plan is that he wants to irradiate one of their trade lanes that prevents vital supplies and would economically choke them until they're forced to break up.

Ulysses was slated to be a companion in New Vegas from what I remember. But I think the idea just didn't fit in with what they currently had + the timeframe they had to make the game as it'd require reworking some things.
Ulysses had too much dialogue, and his voice files wouldn't fit in the game's disk. :lmao:
They didn't had time to rework the dialogue so he got the cut.

Joshua Sawyer said:
What was the issue with Ulysses as a companion?' His dialogue was... his recorded dialogue was so big it literally wouldn't fit on the disk. [laughter] I don't remember how many lines it was, it was like... Cass was our second-biggest companion after Ulysses, and then Ulysses, was like, much, much, much more than her and literally just wouldn't fit. He was too big - too powerful. [...] 'Couldn't you cut a lot of his dialogue?' It happened so late in development that that didn't seem practical. Yes, if we had realized that earlier in development then probably, yes.
Source

Joshua Sawyer said:
Ulysses was cut because his character VO literally would not fit on the disc. His dialogue node count was something like 2x or 3x higher than any other companion, including Cass, who had the second highest (hers was ~615 IIRC and I think Ulysses was... ~1500??). I genuinely consider "original" Ulysses being cut as a big loss for F:NV overall because Avellone's original critique was right: we needed a Legion-sympathetic companion.
Source

I mean the Lonesome Road Ulysses doesn't even like the Legion so I'm curious how that worked out.

Ironically, the one most uncritical of the Legion in the end is Raul.

Ulysses had too much dialogue, and his voice files wouldn't fit in the game's disk. :lmao:
They didn't had time to rework the dialogue so he got the cut.
Oh well that still somewhat fits what I believed but the fact this is the reason is funnier.

I mean the Lonesome Road Ulysses doesn't even like the Legion so I'm curious how that worked out.
His reasons for disliking the Legion is Caesar's obsession with the Hoover Dam though, which from what I remember, he blames himself for as he discovered the dam. I think he values the Legion higher than the NCR still he just was not a fan of the direction they were heading with Caesar wanting to take the dam and eventually transforming the Legion. I'd say he's still a sympathetic character towards the Legion, just not as much as he might have been as a main game character. He'd rather make the NCR and the Legion both go home and hopefully never see the NCR again while seeing the Legion continue to be what they were in his eyes.

Back