longest/shortest games ever

Fallout 2 always felt pretty fucking long to me. I rarely finish new games shortly after reaching San Fran. It just gets boring and the oil rig is the worst.

Doom 1 can be beaten in less than 1 hour. 2 hours if you don't know the maps.

Morrowind without levitation and boots of speed is unbearably long.

Darksun Shattered Lands in less than 3 hours. That's doing every single quest and uniting all the towns. You can do the bare minimum and beat it in under 1 hour.

Myst in 10 minutes. It was an accident if I remember correctly.

longest was probably Arcanum for me, though it was because i really took my time to explore the world, even on the first playthrough.

shortest? i dunno, probably some easy as pie shooter. probably HL's Blue Shift. incredibly easy (even on hard), very little added content and no useful story to speak of.

Vault 13 said:
Shortest : Portal (Okay ,thats actually a mini game but it was still very short),Call Of Juarez,Final Fight 1 & 3 ,...
Longest : Arcanum , TLOZ - Twilight Princess ,TLOZ - A Link To The Past ,Chronomaster ,The Longest Journey...

:lol:

Shortest: Portal (Though I would describe it more as a mod worth paying for than a complete game. No offence to those who made it as it is worth the money.)

Longest: Marrowind (Still haven't finished it...I refuse to start the main quest until I've explored every location/did every other quest. I don't think I'll ever go back to play it.)

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Longest - well, maybe Abe's Odyssee, TES Daggerfall, Fish Fillets (well, FF is rather toughest, poor HC players)

Shortest - nearly all titles from this Autumn? ;]

Anyway, the term "shortest" is pretty vague, Fallout 1/2, Far Cry, or Thief 3 was simultaneously long and short... for me.

Cat People said:
Oblivion could be the longest as it has the most loading screens in any game ever and it sometimes takes 5 - 9 minutes for an area to load.

morrowind had slower loading times and more content and a bigger world ;)

And a horrible travel system, and horrible flying, annoying creatures, and an absolutely outrageously badly designed 'big city'.

Also, as in Oblivion, you could be a jack of all trades. In Moronwind, I was quite surprised when my 'thief' character learned to fly and cast fire spells, effectively transforming him into a glass armor clad, one-man gunship.

In Moronwind, I was quite surprised when my 'thief' character learned to fly and cast fire spells, effectively transforming him into a glass armor clad, one-man gunship.

Well, when you put it that way... it doesn't sound so bad...

And if you don't like the idea, then why did you teach your character to do those things in the first place?

But I do see your point.

New game for XBOX360 Super Garret.

The Vault Dweller said:
Vault 13 said:
Shortest : Portal (Okay ,thats actually a mini game but it was still very short),Call Of Juarez,Final Fight 1 & 3 ,...
Longest : Arcanum , TLOZ - Twilight Princess ,TLOZ - A Link To The Past ,Chronomaster ,The Longest Journey...

:lol:

Shortest: Portal (Though I would describe it more as a mod worth paying for than a complete game. No offence to those who made it as it is worth the money.)

Longest: Marrowind (Still haven't finished it...I refuse to start the main quest until I've explored every location/did every other quest. I don't think I'll ever go back to play it.)

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller
yup !!!
I mean it was Quite long,and it was called THE LONGEST JOURNEY just like you mentioned it ! :mrgreen:
Maybe i should have also added "Dreamfall : The Longest Journey"...nah...that was actually too short !

I'll categorize the games by amount of playtime, not just the amount of time for one run:

Longest:
Fallout 2
Space Rangers 2
Master of Orion (Mostly 1 & 2. MOO3 can be the longest for sure, if you can bear it)
Arcanum (I need to find my discs, damnit)
Final Fantasy (3, 7 and 10 probably took up the most of my time)
Resident Evil 4 (I'm addicted to shooting Ganados)

Shortest:
Bioshock (Took me about 20 hours for 2 runs - never going to touch the game again)
Mistmare (Worst game I ever bought)
Bloodlines (Was shorter than expected and I only played it completely through once.)

There's a lot more, but those were the ones that left the biggest impressions.

Mad Max RW said:
Fallout 2 always felt pretty fucking long to me. I rarely finish new games shortly after reaching San Fran. It just gets boring and the oil rig is the worst.
Ditto. Plus, farming xp in San Francisco is harder than in the other towns. Damn branching quests!

Longest:
First ever run of BG2
Some Civ 4 Games...
Some Alpha Centauri Games..
Some Multiplayer HOMM3 Games..
Arcanum
FO2
Morrowind
Independence War 2
... to be continued ...

Makagulfazel said:
Bloodlines (Was shorter than expected and I only played it completely through once.)
Install it again.
Malkavian playthrough is mandatory.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was pretty long consderng it was a platformer who's main gimmic was speed.

Per: Heavy Gear was infinitely long and it wasn't a sandbox style game. But it did have an infinite mission mode. har har

I guess you could throw in Falcon 4 and Silent Hunter series but these are sims with time compression so .. i dont think they count.

Falcon 4 did have a really nice dynamic campaign mode.

PlanHex said:
Makagulfazel said:
Install it again.
Malkavian playthrough is mandatory.

Haha, that was the clan I picked after I got the unofficial patch. There's some pretty great dialogue options there, but I got bored of the game about half-way through. The story is just a bit to linear for a complete 2nd run through for me.

I found Rome: Total War to be a long game because it would honestly take forever to capture 50 or more settlements (or be me and capture EVERY single settlement), and then keep them happy.

Man it was a pain. But I am playing through it again as the Scipii family.

Okami - very long
Oblivion/Morrowind - extremely long
Super Mario (nes) - never got to the very end
Zelda Twilight Princess - about as long as Okami and similar
Monopoly - :p

Gears Of War - short
Halo 2 - short compared to H1
Fable - short

Back