Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-con trailer

Max will certainly feel different given it's not Gibson, but I don't think you can accuse them of pretty boying the character with Hardy. He looked pretty rugged in all the shots we've seen, and frankly Gibson was attractive too when the series started.

It's scary when they release a trailer that looks like it just might contain ~all the reasons to see the film... that means they are looking to make their money the first weekend of release, and run with it.

This is an excellent point. That's exactly what they're trying to do. In the 80s when there was no Netflix or anything like the kind of easy pro-theater distribution there is now, a movie had to be good enough that you'd be willing to pay to see it 2, 5, 10 times, or even more. Now it's the big-cash opening weekend that counts. They only have to sucker you in one time.

That's one of the reasons why, when I find a new movie I really like, I go to see it in a theater more than once.

...I would guess that you never experienced shitty 1980s marketing, music, cinematography, and cultural propaganda first-hand.

And you would be wrong about that.

Last edited:
I've been looking forward to this for so long... and the first thing they do is destroy his car in the trailer? Is this a joke? Then we see a bunch of explosions, crazy people and... is that Khaleesi and her handmaids?

I have a bad feeling about this.

You have to destroy the car (or take away his wagon if you want to refer to Blunderdome) in order to get Max seriously involved with other people and give him an enemy. With his car he is self contained, can ignore what is going on to other people, and any opponent is just a receding image in his rear view mirror that is soon forgotten.

BTW, does anyone know if this is a reboot or a sequel?

It's a reboot.

Trailer looks cool to me. Will watch the movie.

Woah there, hoss, wait for the movie [game] to be released. You can't tell jack from a two-and-a-half minute trailer. That said, though, it looks just fine to me.
Wasn't this said about FO3?

Yeah, uh, F3 wasn't as bad as the die-hards made it out to be. That may be an unpopular opinion, but there ya go.

It depends how you define it. As a Fallout game they are right. As a walking simulator, you are right.

I wonder if this generic trailer formula is time proof, will it ever change? Blockbuster movies have pretty much the same trailers all around, as i can already tell when there will be a short silence, slowing down of video footage, then a sudden loud boom, then shot phrases from different scenes. Do trailer video people have it too easy?

The movie looks pretty good as far as visual go, probably will be pretty terrible in all other aspects.

Max will certainly feel different given it's not Gibson, but I don't think you can accuse them of pretty boying the character with Hardy. He looked pretty rugged in all the shots we've seen, and frankly Gibson was attractive too when the series started.

I guess that was a bad implication. What I meant was that they could have cast Gibson, but if they still needed a younger lead, they could have done something like the new Indiana Jones did, where they also have a younger star. Not that I'm saying they should emulate that movie in any other way, it looked terrible. The tone of Mad Max is different enough that I feel like they could afford to show him as an old man without ruining things, with a part written to match. And nothing against Hardy, I know nothing about his acting, or suitability for the role. Just wishing they had kept Gibson as that character, but also trying to be realistic, according to my impression of how action flicks are usually cast.

Woops, that's a deal breaker for me. I'm done with film reboots on principle. Not that they are all bad, there are just way too many of them. No more money for reboots from me.

What I meant was that they could have cast Gibson
... Or at least someone that looked enough like him [I know that's not what you meant].

When Richard Harris died, they cast Michael Gambon to play the character ~ and not Jack Black, Ben Kingsley, or Clint Eastwood... IMO they should have found an actor that looked the part ~or cast Mel as Max [risk be damned], and cast Hardy or somebody else to play a new Road Warrior. :irked:

I don't believe this is a reboot. I was at the panel and I'm pretty sure I remember hearing George Miller say it's a continuation of the previous 3 movies.

Well that just makes even more questions for me. I just spent a day at work thinking about it but I was extremely focused on the Interceptor and why it was there and the fact that it was totaled in The Road Warrior. I dunno. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see it but the blower and the frame look similar to Max's Interceptor. I even remember the line from The Road Warrior "the last of the Interceptors". I dunno. If it's a continuation of the story it just made a shitload of more questions for myself. While most people I know personally hold a suspension of disbelief or completely ignore errors of any nature (a fellow co worker of mine is very positive about movies and seems to not dislike anything he sees on the silver screen, the child minded bastard) I just seem to look at this and go "We'll see." even though I want to just pass it off as another corpse of a dinosaur that should have stayed dead.

Wow where did this come from?

If they had to recast, they probably couldn't have done better than Hardy. He is a little weird and he's got a bit of crazy about him, or maybe I think so after seeing Bronson. He doesn't quite transmit that cold/ruthless vibe that Mel had, but who does?

He looks enough like Christopher Lambert that I bet he can look insane if he wanted to ~Lambert can.

It's funny... I never thought of Mel [as Max] looking insane; but he did a great job of it in Lethal Weapon, and I really always believed that he would have done a better Joker than Jack Nicholson in the Keaton Batman movie. If I imagine it, then I envision a image of Gibson ~not too unlike the cover of 'Killing Joke'.

Or these:
designs_zpsdd16b0cd.jpg

Last edited:
I think the trailer is pretty neat, albeit its what I would call a typical holywood trailer, just as like our bellowed Gizmo already explained. Maybe its just me, no clue, but I have the feeling that a lot of trailers today make it almost unecessary to watch the movie, I mean they show you sometimes already the whole plot and the best scenes, and in the case of a movie like Mad Max ... is there really something like a ... great story/plot to follow? :confused:

Thing is, looking back at Mad Max 1+2+3, it didnt really had much of a story, it was not a complicated or deep setting and for its time a very typical action movie. What I love about it, is the way how it is filmed. It aged very well, just like Star Wars for example, there are many action and science fiction/fantasy movies from the 70s and 80s, but only a handfull of those actually aged so well that I watch them again, and I think this comes mainly from the people that made those projects, like Robocop for example. Thats why some movies are considered classics while others short lived entertainment. Some movies are like fast food burgers, something you consume because of some short hunger, and other movies are like a really well made filet mignon, you dont eat it every day, but when you do, then you remember it for quite some time.

Will watch with a skeptical eye, isn't this film set in between Mad Max 1 and 2, so how is it they junked the Interceptor. Also is this a trilogy? - I can't see them stretching the chase concept over 3 movies. Just note: I might be able to meet the head mechanic who built the cars for Mad Max 1, he wasn't involved in Mad Max 2 unfortunately, but still it would be interesting to talk about the original film. He had to be there on set for all the chase scenes, just in case things broke down, etc. :twisted:

Formula One Film Formula

.Pixote. said:
… Also is this a trilogy? - I can't see them stretching the chase concept over 3 movies. …

Worked for Lord Of The Rings so why not for a re-booted Mad Max!

On the way, if Disney buys this property expect a spin off interceptor like …

-cars-2-clipart-2.jpg

Not sure what happened during Disney's shepherding the "John Carter" ^series^ for that *meh* reception, and abandonment,

but that would never happen with their recent epic Star Wars acquisition.

Oh, wait no rivals like a "John Carter" ^series^ space opera is there ….hmmm … is there a conspiracy theorist in the house! Inquiring mimes want to know!

4too

I've seen this movie as in production for quite some time. Rumors of a Mad Max 4 have interested me for years, but seeing the trailer doesn't make me overly optimistic about the film. Tom Hardy is a good choice, I believe, he can play brooding and calculating (Bane), off the wall crazy (Bronson), and intuitive (Eames). These traits may bode well for his iteration of Max. The content of the trailer showed very little depth (even as trailers go,) which as stated above was a theme in the three previous films.

Is it too much to hope that they'll make a stripped-down reboot of the franchise a la Dredd?

The trailer pretty much confirms for me that they made the same errors (and worse) as they did with Mad Max 3.

Hollywood seriously needs to stop thinking that bigger explosions, more extravagant enemies and more violence make for better sequels.

I'd like to think that there is a story that will redeem the movie, but I think we all know that this is a pipe dream.

Back