Mad Nation strikes back

Morbus

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Parts 3, 4 and 5 of the independent post-apoc movie "Mad Nation" are available on YouTube. Ethan "InTheOnlineAsbestosSuit" Taranto-Kent did it, so blame him for any damage your old black and white photos might receive... Here's the third part, the other two are linked to at the end of the post.

<center><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KgIkJNJT5VA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></center>

Link: Mad Nation Part 3 @ YouTube
Link: Mad Nation Part 4 @ YouTube
Link: Mad Nation Part 5 @ YouTube
Link: Mad Nation Movie Thread @ NMA

The 3d episode is pretty good, I must say. Nice picture and camera work. I loved the narrating voice. But... Todd looks a bit young for having kids and wife who are already dead. It's possible, of course... And the deck of cards looks too shiny and new I guess... so does the tyre in the part #4... and so does the skin of that guy in the episode #5 (he was blown by grenade, right?). And I wouldn't put my gun away because some guy on the other side of the door says he is somebody you know just for a few minutes.

Nice work, anyway!

alec said:
THEY ATE THEIR FLESH!

I fucking love this. Someone give this man a prize.

Thanks Alec. I was actually worried that the line "they ate their flesh" would come off as too cleche but I guess it worked, and there's no more of a direct way to say that I guess hah.

Bewitched said:
The 3d episode is pretty good, I must say ... But... Todd looks a bit young for having kids and wife who are already dead. ... the deck of cards looks too shiny and new I guess... so does the tyre in the part #4

All legitimate points. Funny thing about Todd: the guy originally cast for that part has a full beard and looks like he's around 28 (he's actually 24), but I had to recast the part of Todd at the last minute and I had to go for the more reliable but younger looking actor.

The deck of cards is 50 years old, and was the oldest, most beat up one I had, and still didn't look that old. The tire, well, I dunno about that: it was worn out to begin with, and I shot it repeatedly with a 12 gauge shotgun to get it ready for this scene.

EDIT: also, I was never sure really about the narration until I watched the final cut. I liked the idea of a narration because of the Film Noir quality it lends to the story, but at the same time voiceover is typically thought of as an easy way out for writers, so I was never quite convinced whether it'd help or hurt the movie. But watching it now, I'm glad I went with it.

shihonage said:
I like the camera work, filters, and sound mixing.

I appreciate that a lot, as hours of work went into the color correction and sound editing.

Fun side story: This scene is one of the ones I did the most work on sound wise: the distant gunshots you hear are from a blank firing gun I own, and the ambient noise is all recorded from scratch for this scene. Also the muffled voices in the background are very much there on purpose. When I saw No Country for Old Men I remember hearing voices behind and to my right during a scene in a crummy hotel: I thought they were put in on purpose, as if I was hearing other tenants through the hotel room walls, thus adding to the ambiance of a crappy hotel. Later I realized that the movie theatre just had shitty sound proofing and I was hearing another movie altogether, but I kept the idea in the back of my head and implemented it in this scene.

looks okay. But the acting of the bartender could have been better, besides...he is looks waaaay to young to have two childeren.

i watched all of them even the main character when talking to the dead man in the covered wagon really at that point showed a lack luster performance he could have showed a little more emotion when asking if he saw the girl. the movie is kinda cheezy quality but, for no budget did well except for the actors all being to young. oh and the comment the doctor made about him thinking his second lens was bad ass was lame.

Astiaks said:
looks okay. But the acting of the bartender could have been better, besides...he is looks waaaay to young to have two childeren.

InTheOnlineAsbestosSuit said:
Bewitched said:
Todd looks a bit young for having kids and wife who are already dead.

I had to recast the part of Todd at the last minute and I had to go for the more reliable but younger looking actor.

cdoublejj said:
the main character ... could have showed a little more emotion when asking if he saw the girl. the movie is kinda cheezy quality but, for no budget did well except for the actors all being to young. oh and the comment the doctor made about him thinking his second lens was bad ass was lame.

I felt that Gray should show an obvious lack of sympathy for the man in the wagon: after all, the man in the wagon is a coward. Thus, I consciously played the part stoic in that scene.

For better or worse, this is a -student- film: they always inevitably fall somewhere between Jackass style back yard bullshit and no-budget independent films. Yes, the movie is a little cheesy: it's supposed to be. This movie is a sci-fi/post-nuclear apocalyptic western drama with occasional dark comedy relief: it's not exactly a genre blend that can be taken 100% seriously.

As for the actors, yeah, I'll freely admit that there's a conspicuous over-abundance of 20-28 year olds in the movie. I myself aged from 19-23 during this production. One sad side effect of being a student film is that for the most part, you have to use your fellow students as actors, but there's a few older actors later in the movie: a good chunk of our extras were 40+ members of a local theatre group. And for what it's worth, I've been pretty conscious of the age-bias in my films: the one I'm working on now I went very far out of my way to get a 60 year old Screen Actors Guild member to play the lead supporting role in, and this weekend I'm doing a shoot with a 45 year old police sergeant for the same movie.

I really like the last 2 ones.
The Acting is "subtle" , the colors are great and the filters also. The nice and subtle sounds are fitting well there. Good work!

For better or worse, this is a -student- film.

It's a pretty good one! ;)

btw dude, i know you have probably answered this question a bilion times before but:
[spoiler:e610e9d9d7]where can i get my hands on the full version? :mrgreen: [/spoiler:e610e9d9d7]

Here's the trouble with giving out the full version, and I think it's a bit ironic that I'm answering this right now as I've spent the last 2 hours getting very angry at my soundtrack artists for this very reason.

I have a complete cut of the movie. In my opinion, it's awesome: it is, down to every last continuity error, cheesy moment, and underaged actor, exactly the movie I wanted to make. Except for one detail: my sound track artists completely failed to finish their job, and gave me an amazing soundtrack, exactly what I wanted, including nothing for the last scene of the movie.

So, in a rush to get a full cut of the movie ready for the surprise premier at my friend's film festival, I cut the last scene to two already existing tracks from the soundtrack of The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, they being "The Sundown" and "The Ecstasy of Gold". It was perfect, the songs worked beautifully for the scene, and I personally feel that it's the best scene in the movie and half of the credit goes to Ennio Morricone for composing such beautiful music.

But, of course, if I want to be any kind of ethical, I can't internationally release the movie for sale on DVD with someone else's music used without their consent. I also would disqualify myself from most film festivals, leave myself open to prosecution by that oh so lovable group of fascist pigs, the RIAA, and in general burn bridges with the more professional people I'm trying to get involved with right now. Could I get away with it if I just went ahead and did it? Probably. Would I want to? No. I respect the artist too much to steal his work, and besides, the risks outweigh the gains.

So about two hours ago, I listened to a track that a fellow I just met made for me in hopes that it'd be useable for the last scene, so that I could bring DVD copies with me to Salem, MA*, this weekend. While the track he gave me was good, it wasn't right for the scene yet, which means chances are it won't be ready this week. It also sounds completely different than the rest of the soundtrack, though that's something I could maybe live with.

*For those that don't know, Salem is the Halloween capital of the USA due to it's Witch Trial history: there's a few hundred thousand people there through out the whole weekend, most of them in costume, and it's a hell of a time. I've had the plan to go dressed as Gray and hand out free copies of the DVD for years, and by the look of it, that's not happening, since by next Halloween I'll be living in L.A.

TL;DR: I can't release the full version of the movie until I have a distributable soundtrack for the last scene.

Then, why not ask around here if some else could do the job? I'm sure there are some people interested (including me :lol: )

^^^^^^^^ Good idea.

Also: I've watched some episodes again and I have to say I like the third installment best so far.

So, in a rush to get a full cut of the movie ready for the surprise premier at my friend's film festival, I cut the last scene to two already existing tracks from the soundtrack of The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, they being "The Sundown" and "The Ecstasy of Gold". It was perfect, the songs worked beautifully for the scene, and I personally feel that it's the best scene in the movie and half of the credit goes to Ennio Morricone for composing such beautiful music.
Dude, my heart just fell on the fucking floor. You have some taste. I love Spaghetti westerns and i love Ennio Morricone. :)

Hopefully i can watch that version of the movie someday.

Needs a soundtrack or a the very least a sound scape. Also dub your voices in post-production, takes more effort but it actually makes it possible to hear whats being said, same goes for all sound effects too.

Get somebody with a good eye for cinematography, a lot of the angles I'm seeing are making the action look incredibly stale.

Do some colour correcting on the scenes too. Or if you already have do some more. I wanna see that wasteland look scummy as hell dammit!

Get some older actors too or at the very least make them look like they haven't washed all their lives.

But, soundtrack first and foremost, there's almost no atmosphere.

^^^
Much appreciated. I checked out some of your youtube stuff too by the way and it's pretty cool.

Treesnogger said:
Then, why not ask around here if some else could do the job? I'm sure there are some people interested (including me :lol: )

I've actually started working with a different artist already. But here's the problem, for this movie, I had a very specific idea for what I wanted; blues/western guitar. This evolved into something like the soundtrack from Dead Man, an art-western staring Johnny Depp, which I very much liked. The new guy is making some great stuff: the problem is that it sounds nothing like what we have already, and that's a problem I think I'd encounter with involving anyone other than the original artists. That, and most everyone I talk to can't do the style of guitar I want, and even more often can only give me synth stuff, which I don't like at all for this movie.

alec said:
Also: I've watched some episodes again and I have to say I like the third installment best so far.

Really? That's nice to hear: I actually feel like the scene in the hotel room is the movie's weakest point: the final cut of it wasn't so bad, but originally that scene was over 6 minutes long and dragged like fuck, with a lot of unnecessary dialogue that I ended up axing.

Astiaks said:
Dude, my heart just fell on the fucking floor. You have some taste. I love Spaghetti westerns and i love Ennio Morricone. :)

Hopefully i can watch that version of the movie someday.

I'll always think of the Ennio Morricone soundtrack cut of the last scene of this movie as the -real- final cut. That's why I didn't mind so much premiering it with that music: from the moment I started visualizing that scene, I played it out in my mind to that music, even before we started working on the original score.

Okay, big wall of text time:

Daruth_Winterwood said:
Needs a soundtrack or a the very least a sound scape. Also dub your voices in post-production

What you hear in the movie is the product of a month or so straight of nothing but sound work. It's not great, but it's gold compared to what I started with. Most of the sound effects, including nearly every gunshot, were recorded by myself with a Tascam p2 recorder. Several key lines were dubbed in post-production although I didn't have the time or the access to equipment to dub everything.

But, soundtrack first and foremost, there's almost no atmosphere.

At some points, particularly in part 5, I deliberately wanted very little background sound effects. Chances are, if there's no atmosphere, it's because I wanted it that way.

Get somebody with a good eye for cinematography, a lot of the angles I'm seeing are making the action look incredibly stale.

Some things I deliberately shot that way, others came out that way because some of this footage was shot years ago before I took classes in cinematography. In general, the further along in the movie you get, the better the cinematography gets, since I personally got better at shooting. However, if it helps, one of the cinematographers who got involved later on in this film now works in New York as a professional union Jib Operator on major network TV. You can see more of his work in the Dr. O videos, also available on my youtube channel.

Do some colour correcting on the scenes too. Or if you already have do some more. I wanna see that wasteland look scummy as hell dammit!

Alright, I almost took offense to this part. Here's some before and after shots of the color correction I did. I'm no expert, but it took weeks to get it the way I like it and there's a clear improvement I feel.

The opening, just in general improving the image. You can also see the truck that we digitally removed from the background in these shots:
Before:
opbe.png

After:
opaf.png

The hotel room scene, where I had to make bright as hell daylight look like one oil lamp was lighting everything:
hotbe.png

hotaf.png

The desert, which I wanted to make look 'scummy as hell dammit!':
desbe.png

desaf.png

And the caravan attack, which I wanted to do the same to:
carbe.png

caraf.png

There is a process in motion picture film developing called Bleach Bypass, which makes some colors look very washed out and faded while emphasizing blacks. When creating the visual look for Mad Nation, I did my best to replicate this, while still also emphasizing browns, grays and other colors of dead foliage and worn materials.

Get some older actors too or at the very least make them look like they haven't washed all their lives.

Even though it's already been addressed twice in this thread alone, I'll address it again: I got older actors whenever I could. But yeah, I agree there's several characters that look too clean. I'm working on finding a competent and reliable make up artist, but they all turn out to be flakey as hell for some reason.

I've actually started working with a different artist already. But here's the problem, for this movie, I had a very specific idea for what I wanted; blues/western guitar. This evolved into something like the soundtrack from Dead Man, an art-western staring Johnny Depp, which I very much liked. The new guy is making some great stuff: the problem is that it sounds nothing like what we have already, and that's a problem I think I'd encounter with involving anyone other than the original artists. That, and most everyone I talk to can't do the style of guitar I want, and even more often can only give me synth stuff, which I don't like at all for this movie.

You mean the soundtrack Neil Young made their?
This was awesome, yep. Everything was improvised whilst watching the movie, which is really cool. I could try tp adapt this sound, since I'm a huge fan of this (listen to bands like "earth" - it is very mint). When I'm done recording this, I'll send you a PN. :)

^^^

Hey man, if you want to have a go at a soundtrack, particularly if you play guitar, go right ahead. I'd love to get more dedicated people helping out. If you want, drop me a PM with your email and I can forward you what we already have of the soundtrack. The way Neil Young did the Dead Man soundtrack was how I wanted these guys to do mine, but instead they watched the movie with me, took my notes on what I wanted to hear, and did a one night jam/recording session. Which produced some great music, but nothing tailored to specific scenes and produced a lot of redundant stuff that I didn't end up using, which is why I had to improvise with what they gave me and stretch half of a soundtrack across the whole movie.

EDIT: even though I'm not really looking for synth stuff, I'll say that I like what you've got on your signature more than the synth stuff the new guy in the soundtrack team is giving me.

Back