Mark Morgan vs. Inon Zur

Who is your preferred soundtrack composer in the Fallout series, so far?

• Mark Morgan

Votes: 33 89.2%
  • Inon Zur

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

Brycen

First time out of the vault
Updated poll question: Stylistically, as in "post nuclear" genre, who is your preferred soundtrack composer in the Fallout series, so far, given the circumstances with no ethical issues of possible plagiarism involved?

EDIT: To clarify, the poll question meant to ask about the stylistic, genre-wise, musical atmosphere. In no way does it mean that one is supporting any possibly questionable practices that might qualify for plagiarism such as in the case of Mark Morgan's Fallout soundtracks.

Last edited:
Mark Morgan. Despite his stuff mostly being, uh, "heavily inspired" by a lot of artists, it really fits the mood.
However, Zur's work, especially the main theme, is pretty good, too. I'm just not really into the more orchestral stuff, and I like Morgan's ambient style with the almost tribal feel with the woodwinds and stuff.

Mark Morgan's work on Fallout is perfect for the game, even though, as Hass pointed out, chunks of it are plagiarized (or almost). Although he has composed some great soundtracks (FO, PST), but some of his recent work is, well, kinda forgettable (Stasis and especially WL2).

I like them both but if I had to choose it would be Mark Morgan. Whenever I am modding in the GECK I always listen to the Fallout 1 & 2 soundtrack to get me in the mood. Really helps get the creative juices flowing as well.

To clarify, the poll question meant to ask about the stylistic, genre-wise, musical atmosphere. In no way does it mean that one is supporting any possibly questionable practices that might qualify for plagiarism such as in the case of Mark Morgan's Fallout soundtracks.

Last edited:
Mark has always produced tunes that ring better to my ear than Inon.

I wouldn’t call Zur bad all around, but his work on Bethesda’s Fallouts is awful.

Aleksey Trofimov. There's no such option in the poll so I'll take a random one.

To clarify, the poll meant to ask about the stylistic or atmospheric, genre-wise, musical end results. In no way does it mean that one is supporting any possibly questionable practices that, according to some, may qualify for musical plagiarism such as in the case of Mark Morgan's Fallout soundtracks.
To clarify even further, it's not Morgan's fault, it was Tim Cain's demand for OST to follow the same road as "sampled" artists. Composer took the request literally.

Inon Zur is a very talented composer, but except for "requiem for humanity" and the F3 main theme, I can't really remember any song from the modern Fallouts, while I can remember every single track composed by Mark Morgan, and they haven't shown their age. So I'll go for Mark. "City of the dead" and "Acolytes of a new god" are some of the most terrifying musics I've ever heard. "Metallic Monks", "Vaults of the future" and "Traders life" tell stories of their own, beyond the game... That's something rare in a soundtrack.

Mark Morgan hands down.
I like Inon Zur too, but I feel Bethesda don't give him enough of a direction as his New Vegas work was miles better than 3&4

In terms of music style, what MM made for Fallout suits better for the setting, but have to admit, I hated the way his music is used in New Vegas in a totally irrelevant way.

I wonder who has better reach. Morgan has a wrestling backround but Zur is a striker and his jiu jitsu game is on point.

I’m just being facetious.

I love both Inon Zur and Mark Morgan's work. I love Mark Morgan's music for the feeling of hopeless industrial wasteland (Fallout 1&2)and Inon Zur's work for the feeling of small hope (Fallout 3&NV). However, I don't like his work in Fallout 4 because it doesn't feel like it belongs in Fallout game imo.

Inon Zur's work for the feeling of small hope (Fallout 3&NV)

I found his work in Fallout 3 to be completely helpless. Not as much as 1&2, but I get the feeling of dread in his F3 soundtrack.

(After playing Fallout 3 for a bit, I've found a sort of appreciation for his work there).

Sadly, it seemed he was given very little direction with Fallout 4 as that just came out to be a big mess.

Aleksey Trofimov. There's no such option in the poll so I'll take a random one.

To clarify even further, it's not Morgan's fault, it was Tim Cain's demand for OST to follow the same road as "sampled" artists. Composer took the request literally.

Nevada sountrack is great and is quite a welcoming change. It seems to me that when mods include new scores, it gives a bigger change feel than new art.

But it also seems that some scores are pretty familiar. I wonder if some songs were in the first wasteland (i mean the rerelease). Especially the one at Uranium city.

Nevada soundtracks are top-notch. Easily on par with Mark Morgan's, I'd say. Uran City's soundtrack is my personal favorite, even though I'm slightly disappointed there's really not that much the place has to offer.

It's the exact same problem with Fallout 1.5's OST, the one that plays in the scrapyard (or something called that) is my personal favorite, but it plays in the place that has very little to offer.

But it also seems that some scores are pretty familiar. I wonder if some songs were in the first wasteland (i mean the rerelease). Especially the one at Uranium city.
Nah, not really. Those tracks were recorded during 0.99b times, which is within 2011-2012 timeframe.
Uran City's soundtrack is my personal favorite, even though I'm slightly disappointed there's really not that much the place has to offer.
Disagree here. Uranium City has much more to offer than a one-off primitive dungeon with a quest. Uranium City being an actual town instead is connected to New Reno and it shows in several tied in quests, fearutes a unique and never seen before and after enemy type and has an actual living member of the Union of Atomic Workers. Overall, you spend and return to Uranium City in Nevada alot more than Scrapyard in 1.5.

Last edited:
Disagree here. Uranium City has much more to offer than a one-off primitive dungeon with a quest. Uranium City being an actual town instead is connected to New Reno and it shows in several tied in quests, fearutes a unique and never seen before and after enemy type and has an actual living member of the Union of Atomic Workers. Overall, you spend and return to Uranium City in Nevada alot more than Scrapyard in 1.5.
I know. It's just that it's still not THAT much for me. And when I compare it to 1.5's Scrapyard, I didn't mean it in terms of both having exact same amount of content and size; just that they have my favorite soundtrack but the place aren't as significant as other places and, thus, the soundtrack can't be heard more when playing the game.

Also, and this is just me, the first time I heard the name 'Uranium City', I got an impression that it will be, you know, an *actual* city. The name has really nice ring to it, and then it's just couple of worn out buildings and a mine.

I know. It's just that it's still not THAT much for me. And when I compare it to 1.5's Scrapyard, I didn't mean it in terms of both having exact same amount of content and size; just that they have my favorite soundtrack but the place aren't as significant as other places and, thus, the soundtrack can't be heard more when playing the game.

Also, and this is just me, the first time I heard the name 'Uranium City', I got an impression that it will be, you know, an *actual* city. The name has really nice ring to it, and then it's just couple of worn out buildings and a mine.
IKR. It's called "City" even in russian. On it's own it's not much, yes. I said that it's connected to New Reno and thus, more important in that context and shouldn't be judged as separate village, still. Even if the name implies something grandiose. I too wish for a cool whole new fourth hub. There was one written in design docs but never implemented.

I found his work in Fallout 3 to be completely helpless. Not as much as 1&2, but I get the feeling of dread in his F3 soundtrack.

(After playing Fallout 3 for a bit, I've found a sort of appreciation for his work there).

Sadly, it seemed he was given very little direction with Fallout 4 as that just came out to be a big mess.

Aside from not fitting Fallout game, I also find music from Fallout 4 not memorable either.

Last edited:
Back