Matt Grandstaff interview

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Gamasutra interviews community manager Matt "Meatshield" Grandstaff.<blockquote>Speaking of Pete, he referred to you as having "survived Fallout 3." Fallout 3 is an interesting case, because it inherits separate longstanding and communities from both the Fallout franchise and Bethesda's own past games. Can you speak to the challenges of working with those, as well as presumably attempting to draw in new community members?

I don’t know if Pete means to do it, but when he hires a new employee they seem to be thrown into the fire right away. When I started, I had two days to familiarize myself with things before we opened our Fallout 3 forums.

I remember that first week when Pete introduced me to [executive producer] Todd Howard. I forget exactly what he said, but it was something along the lines of "Good luck, meat shield." In the first few months, handling Fallout was definitely a challenge for me, but more importantly, it was a challenge for the community.

You know, you had this passionate fan base that had waited years for a sequel, and once we started to promote the game, they wanted to know everything about the game. With limited information on the game released, there was plenty of speculation, arguing and sometimes total mayhem in our forums. If I could have a dime for every time I heard "Oblivion with guns" or read a topic called, “What is the definition of an RPG?”...

To make things more interesting, the idea of "Oblivion with guns" was pretty appealing to our existing Elder Scrolls fanbase -- so there was a culture clash when the Fallout boards opened in our existing forums.

Over time -- especially after the game was released -- I think the two sides have come together and strengthened our community. It’s especially cool to me to see our Elder Scrolls fans, who are pretty familiar with modding, help Fallout fans with modding the game.

As for me, I think I’ve come a long way too. I still feel like a meat shield, but at least I know what to expect. Fallout 3 was more or less my rookie season in community management, a memorable one at that.</blockquote>Thanks Sigoya.

Poor guy, guess he has to now deal with the fallout of the broken Broken Steel. Anyway thank you BN it was interesting to read.

Umm.. anyone notice that they brought in a lot of people completely new to the business to handle a long standing franchise?

Over time -- especially after the game was released -- I think the two sides have come together and strengthened our community. It’s especially cool to me to see our Elder Scrolls fans, who are pretty familiar with modding, help Fallout fans with modding the game.

This pissed me off lol... I guess I'll learn russian and let TeamX know that apparently all that work they did on FO1/2 was really scrub stuff and they didn't know anything.

To make things more interesting, the idea of "Oblivion with guns" was pretty appealing to our existing Elder Scrolls fanbase -- so there was a culture clash when the Fallout boards opened in our existing forums.

And thats when we realized, why try and cater to a community we don't understand when we have an army of loyal dogs already at our heel?

Beelzebud said:
Meat Shield? Don't they just ban anyone that doesn't tow the line at those forums?
quite a bit of our respected posters got banned, without even trolling...

also, Meat Shield? how very MMO. :)

Brother None said:
or read a topic called, “What is the definition of an RPG?”...

Odd thing was, Matt, that that question came from one of your own developers in the first place.

This pissed me off lol... I guess I'll learn russian and let TeamX know that apparently all that work they did on FO1/2 was really scrub stuff and they didn't know anything.

Well, it does make sense that people familiar with Oblivion modding will also be able to mod FO3 more easily. And Timeslip, who made some pretty cool FO2 tweaks, is an Oblivion modder too.

Over time -- especially after the game was released -- I think the two sides have come together and strengthened our community.
No, not really. More like your moderators banned or harassed those with different views until they left your boards for good. The Fallout Fan community has pretty much remained seperate due to your poor job of managing your team of volunteers, which, to be fair, is partially due to the poor staff who were there when you came on board.

Also, be sure to keep your cool when posting in the forums or answering a question. I might get frustrated from time to time, but try to never show it in the boards.
He does good at this, I have to say that every interaction with him has been a pleasant one. Now if only he would work on training his staff...

Just as the world becomes more obsessed with social media like Twitter and Facebook – we’re going to start seeing similar applications/portals in games.
I certainly hope not.

Beelzebud said:
Meat Shield? Don't they just ban anyone that doesn't tow the line at those forums?
Gstaff doesn't, his staff has a problem with giving people strikes objectively though.

Eternal said:
He was talking purely about Fallout 3 and I'm sure that TES modders did help some Fallout and Fallout 3 fans mod Fallout 3. After all, the GECK is the TES mod tools tweaked for Fallout 3.

UncannyGarlic said:
Gstaff said:
Just as the world becomes more obsessed with social media like Twitter and Facebook – we’re going to start seeing similar applications/portals in games.
I certainly hope not.
I quite agree. I avoid Facebook like the plague and don't need to see it in my games. And Twitter? Always sounded like more of an annoyance than anything useful.
He was talking purely about Fallout 3 and I'm sure that TES modders did help some Fallout and Fallout 3 fans mod Fallout 3. After all, the GECK is the TES mod tools tweaked for Fallout 3.
Yes, but there was certainly something of an implication that the TES modders are somehow the cream of the crop while fans of the original Fallouts had to deal with a total dearth of modding talent.

Gstaff is an okay enough guy, but he just can't get anything done - all he can do is act as the messenger, and usually only a one way messenger at that. His most common line/answer is "if anything changes we'll let you know".

To be a bit more acurate about the situation, its not so much that the "two sides" have come together but more that most if not even all of the reasonable critical voices have left the Behesoft forums shortly before the game has been released or directly after the release of the game since almost any viable critical oppinions gets somewhat "loost" cause you never get any clear statement or cant really expect a fair treatment (in my oppinion) particularly when you many times get replies such as that those "old" fans are just purists that want a 2D version done in the same ways as Fallout 1 and would only acept a carbon copy of the old games.

It seems that most people enjoy the fact that the Behesoft forum has created a habitat for the devs where they can release any "new" features and be sure to only hear extremly positive voices from all sides cause any opposition left the room anyway already a long time back ...

As the release date was getting closer, the forums exploded with users and it was hard to follow a discussion. Plus, most of the more "critical" forumers had already been disappointed with the treatment they got by mods and fellow members, and with the game itself, or banned, and the forum lost its interest.

Has anyone else wondered why gaming companies have discussion forums?

I think that besides the obvious practical utility of bug reports, updates, announcements, PR, modding, etc. etc. it's more of an entertainment / encouragement facility for the developers, than actual fan interaction in the sense of discussing the development and design of the games. At least in B.'s case.

Gstaff has generally done a good job. It's just that:

a) personally I don't really like the concept of having someone whose only job is to distract people like us so we don't bother the important people

b) there wasn't a lot to salvage in Bethesda-traditionalist fans relations.

Brother None said:
a) personally I don't really like the concept of having someone whose only job is to distract people like us so we don't bother the important people

well, he's done a good job keeping us away from his forums too. :wink: really though, i've always been disappointed with just how "hands-off" the entire Bethesda team is. aside from their "Meet the Devs" threads even Grandstaff won't pop in unless some clusterfuck pops up and at that it seems like he's got the same 80-character dialogue limitation as Fallout 3.

Brother None said:
Yeah, I always disliked having him posting messages for Todd, Pete, or Emil instead of them posting them directly. That said, I do appreciate Emil for his interaction on the forums once or twice, though he always disappeared when pressed with hard questions which he would always ignore. I found it particularly amusing when he popped in for a few days, then disappeared for a few days, then he reappeared to respond not to my question but to my statement that I thought he was there for damage control.

TwinkieGorilla said:
well, he's done a good job keeping us away from his forums too. :wink: really though, i've always been disappointed with just how "hands-off" the entire Bethesda team is. aside from their "Meet the Devs" threads even Grandstaff won't pop in unless some clusterfuck pops up and at that it seems like he's got the same 80-character dialogue limitation as Fallout 3.
Hahah, it really does. All of his meaningful posts are either administrative in nature or relaying info for other people, it's interesting to me that as the community manager, he never really got involved with the community. Still, I have no problem with him being there entirely to keep the forums under control and to avoid what happened with the Star Trek and Fallout communities from happening again, but I'm doubtful the latter most is really a piece of his job.

I was on a forum for some gaming magazine and their site admin said the most peculiar thing to me, he told me that he thought I was there to troll because I was being critical and that his job was to keep the community happy. This meant that he would punish people who got into debates/arguments with regulars because they were being disruptive to the community. After some discussion I got him to see that my post was intended to be constructive but he said that he'd keep an eye on me anyway. It was one of those "wow" moments for me, it's obvious that some places use this policy but to see the site admin (I believe, I know they had a label that said he worked for the company) post that as the policy, and on a forum for a "journalistic publication", was just a crazy level of absurdity for me.

Back