Meet the Fallout 3 World Artist

13pm

Water Chip? Been There, Done That
Notes on Gamedev has put up an interview with Nathan Purkeypile, world artist on Fallout 3. Quite an interesting read:
<blockquote>Ever have one of those dreams where you’re decked out in post-nuclear protective gear trying to escape and then you realize you’re stuck in turn-based combat and you have to play out the whole scene in your head? Yeah, well, those of us who played too much Fallout in the dark did. Fallout’s unique 50’s pulp sci-fi style is coming back with the in-development Fallout 3. We were fortunate enough to be directed to Nate Purkeypile, World Artist at Bethesda Softworks, to get word on his personal experience with the project so far. It sounds like he’s enjoying dreaming up nuclear Wasteland grit in high-def quality.

Q: Fallout 3 comes out of a popular series with a unique setting. What is it like working with an existing IP that already has an art style?

A: Working with the Fallout IP is actually something that fits very well with my own personal style as an artist. For a long time I have had a fascination with ruined and abandoned structures. So being able to create an entire world filled with things like that is the best thing I could ask for. The fact that the style was pre-existing is pretty much irrelevant, because if I was left to my own devices to make art, it would look exactly like Fallout. When I was working at Retro Studios on Metroid Prime 3, my friend Joel Burgess told me over and over how I needed to come to Bethesda to work on Fallout 3 because I was “born to make this game.”

Q: Where does your inspiration come from, other than the past games?

A: My inspiration comes from a variety of places. If we are talking about just visual inspiration, then I have my own personal reference folder of abandoned places that I have been building since before I was in college. It’s full of thousands of images of every kind of place you could imagine, from hospitals and asylums to theme parks and factories, it has pretty much everything. Outside of that, I try to play every single game I consider relevant to the industry as a whole to see exactly how everyone is doing things art-wise. Even something that is seemingly unrelated to Fallout has a lot of content and techniques that are worth looking at.

Sometimes though, my inspiration has absolutely nothing to do with anything in particular and is just a result of me thinking about an area. When I first start working on an area, I like to just imagine the entire space in my head and build it all there. By the time I’m done doing this, I know almost exactly what I need to do from start to finish. This way, I don’t spend a lot of time fiddling around with things as a work in progress; I know what I want it to be from the start.

Q: Fallout 3 is expected to release cross-platform on Xbox 360 and PS3. How has this influenced your pipeline process or the tools you use? What has been different about working with Next Gen consoles?

A: The fact that Fallout 3 is a cross-platform release has basically no impact at all with how I do my art. Whatever I make on the PC will end up looking pretty much the same on the other platforms. I never even have to worry about it. I rarely even touch the 360 version myself.

Working on the Next Gen consoles though is great. At my last job at Retro Studios, I was working on the Wii. Dealing with that hardware was a constant source of frustration for me as an artist. Ultimately, sure, gameplay matters the most. However, if your job is to make art on a console all day, it is an entirely different story. With the amount of power we have on the newer generation of consoles, I am able to create what I want far easier. Instead of constantly checking to see how many polys things are, or how many textures are being used, I just have to worry about making it look great.</blockquote>There's a small bit left there, so go read it.

Link: Nathan Purkeypile: World Artist at Bethesda Softworks

13pm said:
My inspiration comes from a variety of places. If we are talking about just visual inspiration, then I have my own personal reference folder of abandoned places that I have been building since before I was in college. It’s full of thousands of images of every kind of place you could imagine, from hospitals and asylums to theme parks and factories, it has pretty much everything.
I get the feeling he would be better off helping the Silent Hill 5 team.

When I first start working on an area, I like to just imagine the entire space in my head and build it all there. By the time I’m done doing this, I know almost exactly what I need to do from start to finish. This way, I don’t spend a lot of time fiddling around with things as a work in progress; I know what I want it to be from the start.

That's cool and all but that goes against the design process. A work in progress is extremely important for creating anything to be well designed, it's purpose is to discover ideas that your brain didn't think through by range and variations through ideation and iteration, and hell, research. It's a bad practice really.

I mean, unless he thinks out every.. single.. possibility in his head and decides which are the best ones, it's bad design.

I'd be shot in class if I told my design professors that, in fact I'd already fail out as a result of the lack of 'design.'

It's a good idea to be decisive in your first thoughts but there could/can be better ideas that your brain simply didn’t think of, or had in the first place. To ignore the design process as if it's a waste of time is a gigantic shame in some ones work.

Edit

Nevermind, he's an artist, not a designer. :roll:

Nathan Purkeypile said:
However, if your job is to make art on a console all day, it is an entirely different story. With the amount of power we have on the newer generation of consoles, I am able to create what I want far easier. Instead of constantly checking to see how many polys things are, or how many textures are being used, I just have to worry about making it look great.

Anyone else find that line to be very facecious?

generalissimofurioso said:
Nathan Purkeypile said:
However, if your job is to make art on a console all day, it is an entirely different story. With the amount of power we have on the newer generation of consoles, I am able to create what I want far easier. Instead of constantly checking to see how many polys things are, or how many textures are being used, I just have to worry about making it look great.

Anyone else find that line to be very facecious?

Well, it certainly shows that he has no idea what he is doing. Probably there is no urgent NEED to care for the number of textures or polygons... but if people like him WOULD care about such things, we'd face games that are a lot more playable by not-so-high-end computers....

C'mon guys, this Bethesda! Are you even surprised? They made Oblivion, what did you expect? Bunch of rookies...

But I must say Oblivion's (and Morrowind's) biggest optimization fault is not the art or the polys (that's Gothic 3's fault). It's the programmers' fault, the engine is just badly optimized (which was also G3's fault since it uses the same engine)...

Allow me to contribute nothing to this topic, and just point out that Nathan Purkeypile is the second most awesome name ever.

DJ Slamák said:
Allow me to contribute nothing to this topic, and just point out that Nathan Purkeypile is the second most awesome name ever.

I was thinking the same thing!

So this confirms that we'll have to deal with the immersion breaker "loading doors" feature of Oblivion, crap. :cry:

For the rest it's a very interesting interview, do read it without prejudice to fully enjoy it.

Briosafreak said:
So this confirms that we'll have to deal with the immersion breaker "loading doors" feature of Oblivion, crap. :cry:

........ LMAO .......... Most Ironic statement from a NMA member... ever.....

* Well, since I've been here anyways. *

Morbus said:
C'mon guys, this Bethesda! Are you even surprised? They made Oblivion, what did you expect? Bunch of rookies...

But I must say Oblivion's (and Morrowind's) biggest optimization fault is not the art or the polys (that's Gothic 3's fault). It's the programmers' fault, the engine is just badly optimized (which was also G3's fault since it uses the same engine)...

No.

G3 uses a different engine.

Which has recently been optimized by Spellbound.

The architecture was <s>one of the few things</s> the only thing that I liked about the trailer.

Mikael Grizzly said:
No.

G3 uses a different engine.

Which has recently been optimized by Spellbound.
Yeah, I just checked the wiki and it's Genome, not Gamebryo. I was under the impression it was, I don't know why :\ I always thought it was kind of a wonder how they had done in, you know, shadows (which oblivion lacks), no loadings and all that stuff...

Sorrow said:
The architecture was <s>one of the few things</s> the only thing that I liked about the trailer.

Bethesda's world art, as opposed to character art, is pretty good.

Optimization isn't really this guy's job, either.

World press photo baby.

It's a good photo. It shows a dictator grown bored with his world dominating powers.

YOU SHALL BOW DOWN TO ME.

Back