Modding ideas/suggestions

Re: 35 mod ideas

Humpsalot said:
5) Auto save mod that will save every X minutes to 5 different rotating slots.
There is such mod for Oblivion. It's called Streamline and its main purpose is to lessen stress that game cause on hardware [purging memory buffer and such]. and to make game run more smoothly and stable [increasing framerate and such stuff]. Autosaving is one of this mod's feature however it is completely optional [whether one wants to turn it on/of, how often autosave is made... etc].
Maybe it would be possible to create such thing for FO3.

Kuj2 said:
5) There were never autosaves in Fallout, and that's generally a bad idea. You should remember to save! If you don't, and will be forced to replay some area again, that'll teach you a lesson.
Since Bethesda games just love quitting to desktop as often as they can [not everyone experience it to the same extent but it's generally confirmed truth], especially if some mods are added, such mod isn't very bad idea. Not for lazy people. For general convenience.

As for most of the other ideas... Game that play itself for player who does as less as possible [thinking included]? Tracking whatever is trackable? Explaining what's best way to reach some place or to kill some creatures?

Nay.

I usually make notes while playing game. A lot of them sometime just to remember some things - useful or just interesting. But that's me. I guess some people prefer games which does for them as much as possible.

The most funny thing is that such mods would be for really lazy people but I suppose that to make them many really skilled and definitely not lazy people would be needed.

Hm. I've only made notes for Interactive Fiction games. ... That didn't work out very well. A Cthluthu-themed one comes to mind. It defeated my note-taking skills. That and I tend to lose scraps of paper.

An in-game player's notebook would be nice, especially since the game is going to be large.

Too bad there aren't any games I know that actually let you take notes without alt-tabbing or relying on paper...

a cool mod would be (I don't think its feasible tough :( ): when you "fast-travel" instead of instantly disappearing-reappearing, you get the red x moving through the map... if we could have random encounters while we are at it, all the better

also I don't know how bethsoft handled it, perhaps its well balanced.... but I would like this: if you are evil doing good deeds you only get half the good karma, and viceversa. This way we get more realism and redeeming yerself is more difficult as is becoming "Demon Spawn" if ye have been a goody-two shoes...

I've got a suggestion for Wild_qwerty if he's a modding kind of guy - how about setting up skins for the Silencer suit? It's purely aesthetics of course, but it'd put paid to what's on offer at the moment - which incidentally looks like the model was rendered/based on what a bunch of kindergarten kids fixed up out of carboard boxes - and I'll happily admit to a yearning to seeing the Captain roaming the screen again and kicking butt aplenty :D

Now to see if the Fart Man can be changed to the triple-rocket launcher...

Brainstorm

Some ideas.
1. Stealing not affecting karma, unless maybe if it is an unsuccessful steal.
2. Some type of weather effect.
3. Create random encounters in fast travel.
4. Have nude scenes with prostitutes.
5.Child killing (Have a little child with the face of Tod Howard) :)

I don't see why people think Karma shouldn't change for theft. It's KARMA, it doesn't represent what people KNOW about you, it represents how you actually act. While this does have an effect on how people view you, it's ultimately supposed to reflect how you've really acted, not just how people see you.

Anyway, I haven't read this whole thread but it's become clear to me very quickly from watching youtube vids that this game is going to need some serious overhaul mods.

Hello hello, you marmalade finches, you. :shock:

I can't be bothered to read all of this thread, so if my thoughts are "so done" then ban me or whatever, but I'd just like to say that I hope very much that the talents of NMA's modders will not be wasted on a initial rush to improve the textures of the game, despite the fact that these may very well be amongst the easiest features to improve upon.

What would make the greatest immediate difference to me at least, would be audio-based mods. These too would be, I imagine, rather simple to effect:

Muting of all uniformly shitty voice-actors' "face-to-face" dialogues, so that one might read their text themselves and not be quite so annoyed, yet they could still be overheard talking.

Instructions for replacing Fallout3's music with tracks from the first two Fallout games. It may very well be as easy as replacing Fallout3's MP3's with MP3's from the first games, but I'm uncertain if it's that easy - and I have no clue as to how to convert the format of F1/F2's musical tracks to MP3.

Both of these mods, unless I'm very much mistaken, would not require use of any Construction Kit, and so would be relatively easy to accomplish.

I do have two somewhat more complicated suggestions, however, and I am aware that these have come up before. Consider me, at least, voicing support of them as indispensible and much-required.

I believe it has been often suggested that a good mod to make would be one that eliminates or modifies karma points/deductions. I think that the most sensible route to go here would be to take the following measures:

Eliminate karma penalties for stealing and for hacking computers. The game can have no idea of for what reasons you might be stealing; it could very well be a Robin Hood situation, or you might be forced to it for the sake of survival. Better to keep it neutral for the sake of one's own role-playing intentions.

Remove karma penalties/points for dialogue - but...

...accentuate the penalties/points in the case of ACTIONS. So for example, being "Friendly" with an NPC will not raise your karma, as your character could simply be manipulative, but killing an innocent or exploding Megaton would add or subtract many times more karma points than it would have before.

Likewise, completing a quest that has you acting in the capacity of a do-gooder or badman ought to give you greater karma effects than previously; however this "tweak" is distinct from the one above in that it requires the discretion of a philosophically-minded modder to go through the quests and alter only those quests in which the differentiation of "good and evil" are stark and incontrovertible, while eliminating entirely the karma effects of quest-paths that are at all "gray" in a moral sense.

As a second modding idea that, unfortunately, will require some advanced techniques or tools, I would, like many of you, absolutely love to see a rewrite of much of the game's dialogue text. Nix "Steel Be With You," and the like, etc. Coupled with selective muting, it would be make quite a difference.

As for gameplay tweaks, I won't bother voicing my thoughts, as I'm sure your best modders will have much better methods in mind than I might. Suffice it to say that, as messy and nonsensical as Oblivion's skills and stats were in their effects and interrelations, F3's are tenfold worse.

But the most essential of all tweaks would be, definitely, to remove the "random chance" factor from dialogue skill-checks. Terribly cheap mechanic, that.

Righto, thanks for reading, sorry to be a long-winded nuisance, you snuss-snacking Sneetches, you.

I don't have the game yet but it seems pretty obvious from videos that combat is going to need a serious overhaul. It's probably unlikely to add things like more targeted shot points. If we're lucky though, maybe we can make VATS less powerful in a few ways to solve the I WIN button issue, like reduce crit frequency and have the hit rate be accurately reported. Halting the slow-mo could be more problematic, and my gut tells me that based on the kind of stuff you could do with the Oblivion CS it won't be part of the toolset.

If we're REALLY lucky, maybe the mechanics for shot deviation (that is to say, skill affecting accuracy, which Beth claims to have used originally but gotten rid of because it's "not fun") to replace the skill effect on damage and have skills affect accuracy instead. That itself would be a pretty big win.

Changing a lot of dialog can make for a rather dirty mod but might be doable. Changing the checks to static checks rather than random elements should be easy (in terms of making the change, not necessarily all the actual legwork of hunting them down and making them balanced statics). Muting could be possible just by redirecting to blank MP3s but without an automated blank generator (one does exist for oblivion modding I think, perhaps it could be adapted with permission) that's a lot of work.

The things to keep in mind are what the Oblivion CS was capable of. That mostly consisted of changing gamesettings (variables for all manner of game mechanics), creating NPCs, importing textures, etc. What it noticably lacked were the ability to easily import animations (though the OB community did work it out I think, to some extent), alter minigames (the lockpick minigame still haunts me), and hack the camera (I'm looking at you Mr. 3rd PERSON PLZ no. 221, it prolly ain't gonna happen).

This isn't intended to crush hopes or anything, just put things into perspective based on my admittedly modest experience with the Construction Set and tons of time lurking in the Oblivion Mods forum. Anything is ULTIMATELY possible, but most of the things that will be accessible initially are going to be more gameplay-mechanical than engine-mechanical type stuff. The CS lets you change the numbers being plugged into the engine, as it were, but not change too many parts of the engine itself.

I'd like to see a guy added in at a few town where you could rent/buy a molerat rik-shaw(sp?). I think it's not too far fetched and in the same stroke remove "fast travel"...

For a future mod, please expand the hair/beard selection to include "Jewfro" and "Hasid-eburns." Thank you, goodbye, farewel, au revoir, adios.

If it's possible, I think changing unkillable NPCs so that they stay unconscious until you heal them with a stimpack would offer a good compromise between realism and game balance.

Hi all. I'm from Russia so sorry for terrible English ))).
I think can we made a classic 1 Fallout on Bethesda's engine? All quests, locations, NPC? I'm think it woud be nice.

Stability mod please!

Had to install one for Clear skies and after all the CTD's I am getting I would love someone to give me a Mod thats stops this annoying behaviour!!!
Will probably have more suggestions when I actually manage to get further into the game without the damn thing CTD!
But off top of my head would love more Radio stations one for each genre of music would be nice so I don't have to run Media player whilst F3 is running.

I would like to request the following changes:

1) No Exploding Cars
I think it's safe to assume, that there isn't much left to explode with all that fighting in the wasteland. Also, the explosions during the outside combats freak me out. It would be nice, if there was some way to stop cars from exploding. I want to use them as cover - not as a source of radiation ;)

2) Slower the Game Time Clock
I observed that currently the game time runs quite fast: 1 sec realtime is 1 min Fallout 3 time. This makes a Fallout 3 day 24 mins long which results in constant day/night changes. Back in Fallout 2 we had the game running in realtime (1 sec = 1 sec in Fallout 2, if outside of combat). This would make exploration easier since there are some thing you want to visit during daylight / night and take some time.

Thanks for reading :)

Now that I've gotten to play the game quite a bit, I guess there is one thing that stands out. De-populate the world of enemies a bit, and make the remaining ones tougher. As it stands now, you pretty much know that each time you're entering a dungeon of some sorts, you know it's gonna be filled with enemies.
I think it'd be great if we didn't see so many enemies everywhere.

For example, I ran into a vault which would've been wonderfully atmospheric had it been empty (or emptier), and not filled to the brim with bloatflies and Mirelurks. Some could obviously still have enemies in them but exploration feels quite predictable at the moment since you just know you're gonna run into enemies.
Make them fewer and make them tougher I say!

Also, I don't really know if this is possible... But it'd be great to remove those invisible walls in the Downtown DC area. Or at least in the places where it really looks like the player could climb over the piles of rubble.

Do you guys think it is possible to make Fast Traveling (Main Map window) to open when you exit the city/location?

Oh god oh god oh god someone remove those goddamn minigames and replace them with skill checks

They're f'ing horrifying.

Hah, even in Oblivion modding there's still no really good way to get around the minigames. Though I would definitely prefer skill checks too, I have to say the minigames for FO3 are actually not *that* terrible, though the silly 4 mistakes then you get locked out of the terminal thing was just stupid because all you have to do is quit out of after three errors and start again. They needed to come up with some sort of hidden mechanism for it or keep track of your failures.

Just be happy there wasn't one for disposition. :-)

There's a lot of things wrong with Fallout 3, most of which are painfully obvious - but a few of the bigger issues (IMHO) are pretty straightforward and should be relatively easy to fix, from a programming standpoint.

1) Weapons & Armor should be able to sustain immensely more use before deteriorating significantly. Thus, I would suggest a simple mod where one could select how rapidly the weapons and armor deteriorate. If nothing else, a simple patch that reduces the wear rate to about 50 or 100 times slower it would be much more realistic.
Having to combine the same weapons to make one 'good' gun is absolutely stupid too but I could get over that if they didn't wear out so fast.
Having personally fired thousands of rounds in a single afternoon on dozens of occasions using a large variety of full-auto weapons, the wear rate firearms have in Fallout 3 literally disgusts me to the point of almost not being able to enjoy it, despite how much I absolutely LOVE Fallout and Fallout 2 and have been looking forward to Fallout 3 with more excitement and anticipation than literally anything else in years.

2) Item Editor.. let me say that again.. ITEM EDITOR.
Am I the only one that finds it absolutely fucking RIDICULOUS that the condition = value system in Fallout 3 makes it a common occurrence to see a lead pipe worth more than a Laser Rifle? Or a 10mm Pistol worth more than some half-worn Power Armor (and Power Armor SUCKS in Fallout 3??!?! Bethesda, What Gives?)?
The best fix for this would be an item editor - obviously everyone has a slightly different picture on what guns should do what kind of damage and what armor should do what and be worth how much, etc.
Also, I'd like to see the Damage indicated on a full-auto weapon to show its damage PER SHOT. The 'per VATS burst' damage indicated is terribly misleading. This would likely not be addressed with an item editor but another patch of its own.

Bigger Ideas:

Reduce repair costs to a reasonable level, and change it so that every merchant that can repair an item can restore it to at least 85 or 90%, with at least two or three different merchants able to fix to 100% would be nice too.

Extend character development past level 20, and get rid of the Oblivion-derived level-based bad guys that you run into.
Super Mutants specifically should be a LOT tougher than they are, for instance.

Anyway, hopefully at least a few of those will get dealt with, and thanks to anyone who actually read this whole post and considered it accordingly.

Back