Modding ideas/suggestions

slxiii said:
Slaughter Manslaught said:
- Add more variety for and of weapons. Think Pistols and Revolvers: Pistols fire fast and carry more ammunition, but jamming is disastrous. Revolvers do not fire as fast and carry low ammounts of ammo, but they rarely jam, if they jam you just need to cycle the cylinder, they are a little more accurate and carry more firepower. Any weapon not consistant with Fallout would disappear or be changed.

sigh....
revolvers are more accurate? thats absurd. also, that pistols fire faster is a bit of an iffy statement- it really depends on the gun and your amount of skill with it. revolvers rarely jamming is another thing that i think you're mislead on, any gun that has the chamber open to the environment is more likely to jam or fail to fire.think about it, if you drop a revolver in the dirt versus a pistol, which will fare better? if pistols jam, its generally because the particular gun is unreliable or there is a problem with the magazine.

ranting aside, i would like to see a variety of ammunition in the game similar to fo/fo2, though it would be a bit of work reworking how ap ammo acts differently than normal...

Revolvers do tend to be more accurate, especially ones that have rifled barrels.

Revolvers require considerably less maintenance. Decent revolvers rarely if ever jam simply because they are a much simpler design with fewer points of possible failure. Actually revolvers CANNOT jam. If a bullet fails to fire, just pull the trigger again and the next bullet will fire. With a semi-auto, you have to clear the chamber first.

Revolvers can fire faster than SOME semi-automatics, but typically slower; the cylinder in a revolver turns slower than the spring mechanism can chamber bullets into a semi-auto.

Lastly, certain revolvers, like the .357, have an amazingly large variety of calibers of bullet they can fire. A .357 can fire a .38 bullet for example.

On the flipside, revolvers have more recoil than a semi-auto due to zero recoil compensation.

Revolvers reload slower, even when a speedloader is used

Mags for semi-autos require maintenance and should never be kept loaded for long periods of time unless you want to wear out the spring. Revolvers however can be kept loaded indefinitely.

every paragraph you just posted contains at least one false statement, please never post about guns again tia

I hope this has not been brought up before but it may have and I might have missed - sorry if that is the case.

I know you can save the map to a file Save kfMap <file> (I think). I wonder would it be possible to Mod that saved file back into the game for subsequent playthroughs to avoid some needless wandering.

there is a lot of mistakes in the weapons/bullets calibers but to me is that the Chinese Assault Rifle (it's clearly an AK model) is shooting 5.56.
Shouldn't it shoot 7.62???

zodman said:
there is a lot of mistakes in the weapons/bullets calibers but to me is that the Chinese Assault Rifle (it's clearly an AK model) is shooting 5.56.
Shouldn't it shoot 7.62???
yeah it should but there are too many different kinds of ammo in the game already. besides the chinese use 5.8x42 now anyway

i believe an AK uses 5.56 WP(warsaw packed(aka commie packed))
but that could be me

7.62 ammo would be nice though, i believe the real world counterpart of the assault rifle uses it

oihrebwe said:
besides the chinese use 5.8x42 now anyway

which we can ignore since the game plays in an alternate historyline were those 1995 weapons have never been developed ;)

just make 5.56 to 7.62x51 and everything should be fine

Roflcore said:
oihrebwe said:
besides the chinese use 5.8x42 now anyway

which we can ignore since the game plays in an alternate historyline were those 1995 weapons have never been developed ;)

well in that case we should drop 5.56 too because it wasn't standardized until the mid-60s

not at all, the AK shoots 7.62x39 which is a completely different cartridge

the only change that should be made is to switch hunting rifles to 5.56 or .308

this game is perfect for a warhammer 40k / necromunda mod. i would really love to see one and i doubt it would be too hard some slight modifications to weapons, maybe some skinning and renaming etc. maybe throw in the different gangs and have random gang battles in the streets etc. brotherhood could become enforcers super mutants could be muties and stuff.

Re: 35 mod ideas

Humpsalot said:
1) Would like a mod that pointed out references to any previous Fallouts, in case I missed it or went over my head. And what it is referring to, IE if you find Harold in FO3 it would say this is a reference to FO1 and FO2 then an explanation of what role he played in the originals. Also down the line make a mod that you can turn on that will have dotted lines to each of these references in order according to how close each one is. Just like Questtracker for World of Warcraft and I am sure other games as well.

2) A 100% complete Quest tracker that will lead me through each quest in the game. Like if Annita (or whatever her name is) offers a quest, have dotted lines on the map that say go to her then it will tell you to talk to here, what dialog options you need to say to get the quest, then the different ways and skill checks required for the quest. For example "This quest takes minimum 6 intelligence to get, and you have 2 options to complete this quest, the first option you will need speech 30, second option science 40." Then you can choose and it will make a dotted line on a map where the person you need to talk to is, or the computer you need to hack. Also tell you the minimum, or maximum karma you would need for the quest.

3) A normal quest tracker that tracks your current quest. Bethesda put one in already, but I don't want "Go to the south west" and "find this item" I want a dotted line to each thing I need to find, and maybe highlight it.

4) Better graphic mod

5) Auto save mod that will save every X minutes to 5 different rotating slots.

6) Auto save mod that reminds you to save before you send dogmeat out to scavenge for goods, so in case he dies you can reload it.

7) Bobble head quest tracker mod, dotted line to each bobble head.

8) Recommended level mod, Divide the map in the pipboy with lines to denote each area and give recommended level to each section. Also what weapons and items you should bring.

9) A gun condition mod, tells you exactly how many shots left till gun breaks.

10) A mod that tells you what level difficulty an object is in game. IE instead of a computer terminal saying "skill to low" will say exactly how much skill you need. Though I think Bethesda might have put this in.

11) Titan toolbar. Another WoW mod, tracked your Coordinates in game, a clock of what time it is (real time, in real life), your xp per hour, your estimated time to level based on your xp per hour. How much more you can carry. All on a hud and not having to go into your pip boy.

12) Some mod that tracks certain items. Say you wanted a piece of clothing that increases you science skill (like the mad scientist's does, according to one reviewer.) With this mod you could type in the name of it and it would make a dotted line to where it was or the person who had it, or you could plug in a stat and the mod would find something in game that would help that stat out.

13) A mod where if you were talking to someone would say "This person is available to join your party" and then tell you what you need to do to get him/her to join.

14) A mod that indicates what each dialog option will do. Like either in parenthesis (- karma) or (+karma) or (this option will lead to the conversation ending and this npc will never talk to you again) or (if you take this option you will not be able to get "quest x") or (this will lead to this person shooting you)

15) Karma indicator, when cursing over a person this mod will tell you if the person you are looking at will offer you a plus or minus karma choice either through a quest or dialog option, and what dialog option to chose for desired karma.

16) A mod that you can pick good, bad, or neutral and it will lead you to quest for desired karma.

17) Mod that tells you best way to kill what you are pointed at, or weak points ect.

18) A mod where if you are walking close to something, be it a weapon, box, ammo, computer, person that it will point it out so you don't just walk right past it.

19) A mod that has a list of locations on it and you can just click one on the list and it will show you how to get there. And a list of people.

20) A mod with a list of items and you can click and the mod will show you what it does (plus 5 science or if a weapon 20 dmg a shot) and you can click on the item and it will show you where to get one, in the wasteland preferably.

21) A tracker for achievements that shows you where to go and how to get

22) A tracker for each faction, how to get friendly with them where they are how to get there.

23) Not sure if this is modable, but interactive environments, make swing sets that don't swing, swing, make people hanging from chains swing when touched, ect.

24) Ammo reminder, a mod that lets you know when you are low on ammo, either in each magazine, and low in overall inventory. Also will tell you when you are low on stimpacks or health raising items.

25) Funny mod, shows you funny places to go or people you can talk to that have a funny outcome, and what steps to take to make that outcome happen

26) Auto seller, this mod will automatically sell all worthless stuff you have picked up when talking to a vendor. Worthless meaning not part of any schematic and has no other use except to sell to vendors. Add an check box that you can sellect certain things not to auto sell, like things that would be good to shoot out of the rock et launcher.

27) Mod that shows you where to get keys/codes to locked doors.

28) maps to all caves, ect

29) a mod that changes your pointer. Instead it will change to a circle that shrinks as your small arms goes up. AKA a area in the form of a circle of where the bullet will go when fired. Like mass effect.

30) A mod that summarizes what each person told you and/or will tell you, so you don't actually have to read and/or listen to them talking.

31) Mod with preset SPECIAL for what type of character you want to be. For example "Sniper" might be one option, you click it and your stat will change to fit what you chose. IE you click on sniper and it takes your charisma to 1 and puts your luck to 9 or w/e. Will also tag the skills you need. Or even options like "Do gooder" and it will tag the skills you need to be able to help the most people out.

32) A quest tracker that shows you where quest are that give you bonuses like ant strength ect.

33) an outfitter that automatically puts on the clothes that is best suited for the situation. Put on the science coat when accessing a computer, or puts on what closes the player chooses in each situation. Like put on a certain outfit in a safe town and when you walk out of the town it will put back on your power armor. Like a World of warcraft Outfitter or wardrobe or item rack.

34) A mod that wont allow, or at least warn, you before you sell any important items, like stuff for schematics.

35) A mod that lets you know when all quest are done in a certain town, like megaton, so you know you can destroy it.

I know most of these mods are do able, and I know some have over lapping ideas. But I have no idea how to mod, so I hope someone out there will make these.

istead of all this, why not just a mod that plays the game for you?

I'm sure it will get done eventually without my suggesting it...but I want to see a Vic & Blood mod. Dogmeat can already sniff out ammo and food, shouldn't be hard to teach him how to sniff out the nearest female NPC.

If it's at all possible, I'd love to use my Pip-boy without it pausing the game. Heck, I'd love to see conversations without the game pausing, too, but I'm guessing either change could cause problems.

Ideally, TimeScale would be 1 during either activity.

If we ever get a CS that may be the first thing I look into.

Nullifidian said:
Revolvers do tend to be more accurate, especially ones that have rifled barrels.

All handguns have rifled barrels. At least, every single design I've ever seen made in the past 120 years or so, leaving aside wartime improvised or over-simplified weapons like the Liberty pistol - and handgun sized shotguns such as the Ithaca Auto & Burglar gun.

Revolvers also are NOT particularly more accurate than any semiauto of comparable quality. That's as sweeping and ignorant of a statement as saying that cars with V6's are all faster than cars with 4 cylinder engines.
That being said, the longer sight radius of a revolver with particularly longer barrels (like an 8 3/4in Smith & Wesson N-frame for example) does offer a bit more precision but the quality of the ammo as well as the actual shooter matter just as much if not more so.
But considering that my own vanilla-stock Sig Sauer P220 shoots tighter groups than my S&W 686 despite the Smith's barrel being almost 50% longer speaks pretty clearly to me in this case.

Nullifidian said:
Revolvers require considerably less maintenance. Decent revolvers rarely if ever jam simply because they are a much simpler design with fewer points of possible failure. Actually revolvers CANNOT jam. If a bullet fails to fire, just pull the trigger again and the next bullet will fire. With a semi-auto, you have to clear the chamber first.

Revolvers can fire faster than SOME semi-automatics, but typically slower; the cylinder in a revolver turns slower than the spring mechanism can chamber bullets into a semi-auto.

Lastly, certain revolvers, like the .357, have an amazingly large variety of calibers of bullet they can fire. A .357 can fire a .38 bullet for example.

On the flipside, revolvers have more recoil than a semi-auto due to zero recoil compensation.

Revolvers reload slower, even when a speedloader is used

Mags for semi-autos require maintenance and should never be kept loaded for long periods of time unless you want to wear out the spring. Revolvers however can be kept loaded indefinitely.

There's so much misinformation in this series of paragraphs that I don't even know where to begin.

Yes, revolvers can jam, and a revolver is considerably easier to damage to the point of being worthless than most semiautos as well - any kind of damage or bend to the crane (thats the lever arm that the cylinder is attached to when it is swung outside of the frame for loading) will almost ALWAYS prevent a revolver from functioning. This kind of damage frequently happens if you're the sort of idiot that regularly snaps the gun to the right to swing the cylinder back into the frame, as seen in the reloading animation for the scoped .44 mag in FO3. At first it usually causes a slight misalignment of the cylinder which will drastically affect accuracy as well as projectile velocity, but eventually it can cause the cylinder to bind up in the frame or be misaligned to the point where the frame breaks open or the cylinder is damaged when the gun is fired.
Also, when the internal guts of a revolver get mucked up or dirty, you better be a gunsmith if you're taking it apart because otherwise you're probably going to just make it worse after losing or breaking parts - whereas I can have any one of my semiautos field-stripped in under a minute and they never need anything more than a hosing-out with some cleaner, with a drop or two of lube on the slide rails, after which they got back together in well less than a minute.

Also, someone else made the very correct observation that the open areas of a revolver are particularly vulnerable to dirt and other environmental problems because of how open the design is, which can also help cause the misalignment symptoms I just described above, or if a chamber in the cylinder is packed up with dirt on the front side of the loaded cartridge, when fired it can cause a massive overpressure spike and blow the whole gun up. Seldom will that happen, but it is a very real risk.

As for revolvers firing 'slower' than semiautos, again, that's a very sweeping and ignorant statment. Most people cannot accurately fire either flavor any faster than the other.
Well-practiced experts on either kind of weapon can sound like a machine gun. The vast majority of semiautomatics cycle so quickly that one must be almost unbelievably fast in order to start shooting faster than the weapon cycles, which of course is well in excess of the typical cyclic rate of most submachine guns.

The revolver doesn't depend on anything other than the shooters mechanical input into the weapon to cycle, hence the trick shooters you can find on Youtube emptying a 6 shot single action revolver in under a second, while getting all six shots onto a playing card at 10 meters.
Note that 6 shots a second is fairly slow when compared to some IPSC shooters that get close to 10 or 12 rounds a second in speed shooting drills with semiautomatic pistols - near as makes no difference as fast as an MP5 on full auto.

As far as ammo flexibility, yes, .357 Mags can fire .38 because '38' is a misnomer of a designation, both cartridges have a .357" diameter bullet - the .38 is shorter than the .357 Mag and since revolver cartridges headspace on the rimmed base of the casing, one can shoot .38's all day long in a .357 quite safely.
(BTW, the .38 SPL is only called a .38 SPL because of the old practice of loading 'heeled' bullets - a projectile that flared out to match the overall width of its cartidge casing like a .22 LR still does, though the practice is now obsolete in all except the .22LR)

Now, there's plenty of semiautos that can perform similar tricks in some cases - my Smith & Wesson 1006 for instance, being chambered in 10mm auto, has a similar short cousin in the .40 S&W which is dimensionally identical to the 10mm auto in everything except overall length (and the corresponding lack of typical projectile weight and powder capacity)
But since its a semiauto and it headspaces on the front rim of the casing you're not 'supposed' to fire .40 S&W in a 10mm because it'd be headspacing on the extractor instead of the actual chamber - but my trusty 1006 has a strong enough extractor that I've never had it fail when shooting .40 S&W in it, though some .40 ammo isn't hot enough to make the weapon cycle reliably.
Yes, that is an atypical situation, but my point is that ammunition flexibility isn't unique to a revolver.

Hell, in plenty of cases one can simply interchange the barrel and magazine to change calibers in a semiauto - I have a .357 Sig barrel for my Glock 22 (.40 S&W) and I don't even need to use a different magazine - just swap the barrels in under a minute and I'm firing .357 Sig or .40 S&W just as readily and reliably.
My Father's Mark XIX Desert Eagle does the same trick with a simple barrel and magazine change to go from .50 AE to .44 Mag. Going down to .357 Mag only requires one to replace the bolt as well, which only takes a little more time.

And those old fairy tales about magazine springs 'taking a set' just refuse to die - I've always kept my Glock magazines fully loaded when I wasn't at a shooting range for almost 10 years now and I've never had a single failure. Similarly, my many of my Grandfather's same old GI M1911 magazines haven't ever had a problem and they've spent the better part of the last FIFTY YEARS sitting fully loaded.

Whew.. that ended up being a novel - but hopefully that adequately explains everything I touched on.

There ain't recoil compensation in many, many handguns. I am not an expert, but, yeah.

Semi-automatic handguns usually use the way the gun recoils in your hand to make the gun insert the next round.

An exception is the Desert Eagle, which for some reason, is gas-operated which might reduce recoil, but not much.

The only other way I know of is to use a compensated barrel. Wikipedia and Google will help immensely.

Gun issues fixed, next please.

-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights
-actual iron sights

Starwars said:
For example, I ran into a vault which would've been wonderfully atmospheric had it been empty (or emptier), and not filled to the brim with bloatflies and Mirelurks.
Maybe if Bethesda ever releases the SDK, it would be possible to depopulate the landscape by adding more filler land (deserts, gullies, etc.) between the points of interest - effectively quadrupling the land area. Of course this would heighten the necessity for fast travel so it would be good if this mod as paired with a mod that changes the fast travel to the style from Fallout - free travel with an X on a brown map showing physical features of the D.C. area and green circles for the major points of interest. And with random encounters to boot.

How about making Liberty Prime a playable character?

:)

Something else that would be nice, adding in some kind of forcefields. I really missed those in this game.

I would appreciate a mod that brings back the PipBoy2000, the old map interface (both local and world map) and the old dialogue interface. I think that should be possible.

Back