MoO on GOG!!!

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by rcorporon, Apr 21, 2010.

1. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    MoO 2 isn't abandonware, so I don't see what the issue is... besides, can't we all agree that MoO and MoO 2 are kickass, and worth $6?

2. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    You know, that's a scary thought.

Arcanum 2, a first person shooter?

Yes, but we were discussing MOO2, Rattus Rattus.

Their corporate owner, CD Projekt? They're signing deals with the companies that own the IPs and get the files from them. Yes, they use scene cracks. If they wouldn't be available, they'd make their own.

It's simple economics. Why blow money on something you already have available and actually own in the first place?

Given that most crackers' identitites are unknown, I find it a bit far reaching to consider them "wasting their skills". For all you know, they can be respectable IT managers cracking games on their laptops on company time.

Awww, don't hit yourself too hard, Ratty. ;)

Well, most abandonware games don't need to be cracked, they just need the manuals. Or code rings. Or spread sheets. Or virgin male sacrifices.

3. Ratty Sr.

Ratty Sr. Ratty, except old Moderator Orderite

Apr 23, 2003
    If they call it Journey to the Center of Arcanum and get Brian Mitsoda to work it, I'm buying it.

My rant was directed against GOG in general, the mention of MoO only triggered it. So you could say I've been off-topic all along. :postviper:

4. Arr0nax

Arr0nax A Smooth-Skin

Oct 30, 2009
    No they can't. If you did read my posts and especially the wikipedia link you'd understand the difference between stealing and infringing.
    Did you call it stealing when you borrowed your friends game ? I'm pretty sure you didn't. Do you call it stealing when you buy a second-hand game ? I'm pretty sure you don't. Yet you're using the software without giving anything to the developpers.

Also, I'm pretty much thinking about it every day since I intend to distribute my own games in the future. I know they will be copied and I accept it because it's how information works.
    The information/culture market has to and will find other ways of being financed than enforcing a per-copy fee. It's inevitable and it's already happening.

5. Dario ff

Dario ff Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 19, 2008
    Aren't piracy and theft considered different crimes?

If you people are discussing its morality, don't expect to win the argument. It's an endless debate I wouldn't like to go through again.

6. Professor Danger!

Professor Danger! Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 30, 2009
    It's either that or the abortion debate.

7. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Maybe I got you wrong. But to say it that way.

If I would develop a game/programm selling it in a store and someone would upload it to share it. Then I would call it "theft". yeah. It might not describe it that acurately particularly regarding laws. But well. A crime is a crime. Regardless what we call it.

8. Professor Danger!

Professor Danger! Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 30, 2009
    I think the fact is, I would rather pay for it, since i'm afraid of the 'ol pokey, thanks to that wonderful show Oz some years ago.