More details from PC Games preview

Every news gets me more excited I hope I won't be dissapointed this time.
The only thing I don't like besides worse animations, (and no isometric perspective with TB combat - but I knew that this won't happen in Fallout game anytime soon) is the fact that they didn't change V.A.T.S., it seems I'm gonna play through Vegas without using it even once, just as I did with Fallout: Capital Wasteland.

Dagon said:
Every news gets me more excited I hope I won't be dissapointed this time.
The only thing I don't like besides worse animations, (and no isometric perspective with TB combat - but I knew that this won't happen in Fallout game anytime soon) is the fact that they didn't change V.A.T.S., it seems I'm gonna play through Vegas without using it even once, just as I did with Fallout: Capital Wasteland.

I'm sure they'll at least balance it out. F3's VATS was so game breaking that I doubt Obsidian will let it slip by.

Reconite said:
This is one of the things I'm looking forward to most. So many newbs failing skill-checks.

Too bad reviewers will portray this as an "inconvenience" and mark the game down a point for it. :lol:

No. Don't even say that. Some Beth lurkers here might see it and run home to daddy to have him put more shackles on Obsidian.

Reconite said:
fcmfan said:
There are no skillnumbers at all, so you must use your brain and decide yourself if it's wise to use the answer.
This is one of the things I'm looking forward to most. So many newbs failing skill-checks.

Too bad reviewers will portray this as an "inconvenience" and mark the game down a point for it. :lol:
They won't complain because the game won't punish failed skill checks. It's always wise to use the answer, because the worst-case scenario is some funny dialog.

Dionysus said:
Reconite said:
fcmfan said:
There are no skillnumbers at all, so you must use your brain and decide yourself if it's wise to use the answer.

They won't complain because the game won't punish failed skill checks. It's always wise to use the answer, because the worst-case scenario is some funny dialog.

While is sounds interesting and could possibly mean some funny results it also sounds a little like it might gimp Speech even more if it's used often since it won't be a requirement to get the best reactions from people.

I imagine if Speech still acts in the same way it did in Fallout 3 Speech tests at least will have consequences for failure, but possibly a greater reward for success.

Either that or it has some sort of other in game use. Maybe it makes your reputation go down slower and up faster?

Another possibility is that Speech has simply been removed. I mean if you had the option of buffing up a skill that is used for nothing but getting better reactions from people and another that will blow people to bits with the added bonus of getting stuff off people which would you choose?

But then again that would mean the only skill Charisma adds to is Barter...unless it allows you to bluff a little and plan a ambush that makes sense with somebody when you sneak is at 12.

Obviously I am not a game designer so I don't know. Hopefully these dudes have found a way to balance it.

SomeBritishDude said:
While is sounds interesting and could possibly mean some funny results it also sounds a little like it might gimp Speech even more if it's used often since it won't be a requirement to get the best reactions from people.
The idea would be that speech affects persuasion and lying, while science and barter affect discussing science and bartering. The only big change from FO3 is that bartering will be used appropriately. But speech should still be useful for solving quests.

SomeBritishDude said:
I imagine if Speech still acts in the same way it did in Fallout 3 Speech tests at least will have consequences for failure, but possibly a greater reward for success.
Well, the consequence for failure is the same as not trying at all. So, it really isn't a consequence for failure.

Dionysus said:
SomeBritishDude said:
The idea would be that speech affects persuasion and lying, while science and barter affect discussing science and bartering. The only big change from FO3 is that bartering will be used appropriately. But speech should still be useful for solving quests.

The problem is that all these skill have uses outside of talking to people. Where as with Speech it's only purpose is to persuade. If most other skills can do this where appropriate then Speech looses not only a lot of it's usefulness but also it's uniqueness.

There may be way's to balance this out. One way would be to have these skill checks in Speech have 2 options; Use Skill to answer or use Speech to answer.

Let's say you have a dialogue option where you could win yourself some very, very powerful bombs by passing a explosives check. However your explosives isn't high enough. You could either walk away without any penalty and come back later when it's higher OR you could choose to have a Speech test instead. This dialogue option would be a risky one like "OH GOD! They're going to blow! Give them to me so I can disarm them quick!" If you pass this Speech check you get yourself the bombs even though your explosive skill is low. If you don't however the dude will attack you.

What I'm trying to say is if unique dialogue options can now be achieved regularly with other skills then Speech needs something new to stop it from becoming a very boring and useless option.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
If you don't however the dude will attack you.

A better idea is that the dialogue option gets locked out if you fail, IMO, a thing you don't risk with the normal Skill Check.

It could jump between the two depending on the severity of what you said, who your talking to, the worth of the prize ect. But yeah, loosing that option forever would probably be the better choice.

I don't think every single dialog convo in the game will have different skill options for dialog. Regular persuasion with speech will probably still be the most used, with other options at certain times during quests and whatnot.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
A better idea is that the dialogue option gets locked out if you fail, IMO, a thing you don't risk with the normal Skill Check.
Given that the point is probably to reduce the number of quickloads people need to make, that'd be self defeating. Besides which, you'd have to explain that to make sense and I don't see that happening in a lot of conversations that will likely be repeatable. If they don't get pissed at you and refuse to talk to you, I see no reason to lock individual dialog options (trees maybe...).

Back