My God-- it's full of free guns

Little Robot

sup
Orderite
While playing New Vegas recently, I noticed something interesting. This was almost certainly present in Fo3 but I didn't see it during a quick search. What I noticed is that shops which have inventory sitting on the counter are incredibly easy to rob. Because no one minds if you "move" the guns without adding them to your inventory, you just need to drag them into some seclude corner or bathroom, sneak, and pick them up from there. I just got about 10000 caps worth of energy weapons doing this. Seems like they should have noticed this, no? :roll:

Apologies to everyone who already knew this-- it is a stupid thing that I only just realized.

Yeah, you've always been able to do that, haha. Good way to make money. It's not really free though, it costs you your soul.

In FO 1 and 2 there was no karma penalty for stealing, and I liked it better. I mean, I thief has to live and not every thief is a bad guy, right? :mrgreen:

Also... Robin Hood anyone? Why can't we be like him in Beth's Fallouts? ¬¬

Well u could do a similar thing to get rich in the original fallout series through the save-fail-reload-try again method of stealing.And this will likely be modified soon....or you could just not steal from shops.

Little_Robot said:
While playing New Vegas recently, I noticed something interesting. This was almost certainly present in Fo3 but I didn't see it during a quick search. What I noticed is that shops which have inventory sitting on the counter are incredibly easy to rob. Because no one minds if you "move" the guns without adding them to your inventory, you just need to drag them into some seclude corner or bathroom, sneak, and pick them up from there. I just got about 10000 caps worth of energy weapons doing this. Seems like they should have noticed this, no? :roll:

Apologies to everyone who already knew this-- it is a stupid thing that I only just realized.

actually thanks, i havent thought too much about that, boob implants here i come... i mean "int" implants, bc they will make me look smarter

Then the player accidentally moves an item and the town goes rampage on him.

You could be simply picking it up to take a look at it before buying it.

I dont think karma is that important in NV as its more about reputation.

In FO 1 and 2 there was no karma penalty for stealing, and I liked it better.

Yeah, I wish they did away with karma completely. I mean, I guess losing karma for stealing supplies from a specific group makes sense, but that can be implemented in reputation. Stealing from an enemy faction, on the other hand, shouldn't be that bad, right?

Its kinda retarded you can gain karma for slaughtering a slaver camp and then lose it for stealing their stuff.

I liked the old reputation traits but was a bit dissapointed in NV when I started digging up graves and didnt get anything like the old graverobber trait :(

Insomnia said:
Well u could do a similar thing to get rich in the original fallout series through the save-fail-reload-try again method of stealing.

I'm incredibly guilty of doing that in San Franciso. And the hub..and everywhere else. : /

Wasn't JE Sawyer saying in the lead-up in some interview that they'd figured out a way to prevent the player from doing this save-fail-reload-try again thing? Does anyone recall this?

I wish I could man up and accept the consequences of getting busted stealing, but man, when it turns an entire town hostile that's just nasty.

Lexx said:

Well honestly though, why is that move even in there? Did you ever use it (for anything other than exploitation or dragging around corpses for the lulz)?

willooi said:
Wasn't JE Sawyer saying in the lead-up in some interview that they'd figured out a way to prevent the player from doing this save-fail-reload-try again thing? Does anyone recall this?

There's a delay before you can gamble after loading. Don't know if it works for stealing too. It's not an interesting fix, it's just tedious as hell.

willooi said:

I wish I could man up and accept the consequences of getting busted stealing, but man, when it turns an entire town hostile that's just nasty.

There are certainly some games that assign a win/loss determinant to stealing when you load a cell.

So, perhaps they could make it where when you enter town X, a roll is made based on your dexterity and steal skill and scores determined. The resulting values could then be matched to several classes of items: large, medium, small, weapon, rare. Then situational variations could add or subtract from your initally rolled value (are you sneaking, is it dark, are you behing the person, are you/they stationary, etc...) at the time of attempted theft and success/failure determined.
---- This would mean, if a steal fails, all repeated steals of that item will fail unless you leave the cell and return to get a new roll.

I agree though that if stealing results in a town going hostil...it's just pointless b/c people will just reload. Thus, it never happened, thus why program it to happen? A better way to script this would be using jails in larger towns (similar to Oblivion :shock: ) and perhaps exiling players from smaller towns for a duration of time or until they pay a fine, or complete a redemption quest. That way, when I role-play a theif, I'm not some miraculous theif that was never caught in my whole career, instead, I got exiled/jailed a couple times until I was at the top of my craft.

On the topic of guns, I heard you can aim using Iron Sights. I guess after Fallout3 threw the series gun skill out the window, this game decided to run outside and stomp on its face. That just blows. I guess the gun skill is even more useless in this game. No point in even building it up. They should just fess up and say its a Fallout FPS, not an RPG. How can you call a game an RPG when weapon skills and stats have no real effect on weapon usage.

Ausdoerrt said:
In FO 1 and 2 there was no karma penalty for stealing, and I liked it better.

Yeah, I wish they did away with karma completely. I mean, I guess losing karma for stealing supplies from a specific group makes sense, but that can be implemented in reputation. Stealing from an enemy faction, on the other hand, shouldn't be that bad, right?

I think the idea is if you consciously imposes your will on the lawful property rights of another, for whatever spurious rationale you've hastily constructed, it is consider a blight upon your moral compass (a compass notably crafted in the image of Adam Smith).

I' fine with the karma system, especially sense it doesn't seem to do anything besides pertain to perks (if even that). I don't regularly complain about additional layers of depth unless they get in my way somehow.
sea said:
Okay, after playing a bit, I have to agree with the original poster. Guns are everywhere, as well as ammo, to the point where I'm practically overflowing with it. I'd appreciate it if guns were a lot less common and there was use of more melee and throwing weapons early on.

I've spoken with numerous people who spent hours trying to find Megaton after exiting the vault in Fallout 3. Me thinks the plethora is there so they can find at least one throughout their play experience. ;)

I don't know how it is later in the game, but mostly what I find early on is broken-down, crappy guns that are really weak. And I haven't seen all that many just lying around, most of those are from corpses. As for ammo, most boxes I've seen belonged to factions.

I got to Silver Rush in freeside last night and couldn't stop thinking about this. The displays look so nice though :-/

Brother None said:
Lexx said:

Well honestly though, why is that move even in there? Did you ever use it (for anything other than exploitation or dragging around corpses for the lulz)?

willooi said:

There's a delay before you can gamble after loading. Don't know if it works for stealing too. It's not an interesting fix, it's just tedious as hell.
In some places owned goods are sitting on top of non-owned Workbenches, Reloading Benches, beds, and what not. I find moving the items away so I don't accidentally steal them when crafting is a much safer approach.

It has its uses, but I agree that being able to move items is very situational except if using it to exploit or to play the Garry's Mod minigame.

Regarding the save-fail-reload thing, I noticed this with merchants. If merchants don't have things I like, I have to exit the game entirely and then start it up again before I can see a new inventory. The save-fail-reload thing works once before the merchants' inventories are locked.

fallout_fan said:
On the topic of guns, I heard you can aim using Iron Sights. I guess after Fallout3 threw the series gun skill out the window, this game decided to run outside and stomp on its face. That just blows. I guess the gun skill is even more useless in this game. No point in even building it up. They should just fess up and say its a Fallout FPS, not an RPG. How can you call a game an RPG when weapon skills and stats have no real effect on weapon usage.

That's what I figured, and that was the case -- at least until I hit the late level 20's.

As it turns out(apparently), damage, accuracy, armor penetration, and "scope wobble" are all built into the skill level. So when I'm level 30 with ~50 pts in both energy and guns (and even lower in unarmed/melee) I am almost *completely* ineffective in combat against the games harder enemies (particularly deathclaws).

I managed to complete the game regardless due to the following:

- Very high speech checks
- Great follower NPCs
- Great quest NPCs
- Mass chems/implants
- Heavy quickloading

The Super Sledge at ~30 skill was actually reasonably effective in the final battles whereas my guns (and I was armed to the gills with effective, top-cond named weapons) were practically useless.

And found out later that the Alien Blaster is apparently even more OP in this than in previous games. Seriously, it wrecks almost EVERYTHING in 1 shot (I think the Legate took ~5 randomly placed shots) even at ~50 skill level, and it's got a great ROF.

I also tend to make certain my favorite equipment is always in tip-top shape. I did not realize the disastrous impact that had on my previously-beloved Mysterious Magnum. Live and learn.

Back